silk purse from sow's ear.

rlw3

silk purse from sow's ear.
« on: 15 Apr 2011, 10:06 pm »
     I have a ranch style home with a suspended wood floor which only has one good sound room possibility. The speakers are on the short wall. This room is the biggest of the symmetrical rooms in the house. It is a 18x13x8  five sided room that opens into a hallway that runs with the short walls. My right speaker "sees" the room, then the 40 inch hallway, then a 9 ft hallway/entryway  parallel to the long wall that runs to the front door Total length 31 ft. My left speaker sees the room, then the hallway then an opening into a 9x9 room next to the front door. Between the front door entry and the opening to the 9x9 room next to it is a 42" wide wall which separates the two openings. This wall on the far side of the hallway is about 5-6 ft behind the listening position.
    The room had a horrible flutter echo so i knew it needed treatment. I wanted to get rid of the echo, have deep bass, and have a great soundstage with depth. My plan was to achieve bass with treatment on the short front and back walls. I would try to tame flutter and get a soundstage with treatment on the long sidewalls. 
    I started by ordering 2 Realtraps 59"cornertraps that stand at a 45 degree angle in the corner behind the speakers.I also bought 4 Realtraps RFZ panels. I hung these on picture hooks so that I could repair damage from moving them around-which i did over and over again. At this point the room had gotten a little better but not by much,there wasn't enough square footage of treatment to give the procedure a chance to succeed.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Re: silk purse from sow's ear.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2011, 03:12 pm »
It would really help if you can send us (RealTraps) a photo. Best is a distant shot, taken from far back in the room toward the front, so we can see everything in context. A second wide shot from the front toward the rear would help too. That's a fairly large room, so two MondoTraps is not really enough to fix all bass problems. But at least you're hearing an improvement, letting you know you're going in the right direction.

--Ethan