GoldenEar Triton Two. Has anyone heard them?

pslate

GoldenEar Triton Two. Has anyone heard them?
« on: 14 Apr 2011, 07:09 pm »
There has been a lot of superlatives bandied about regarding the GoldenEar Triton Two. Certainly CES went well for the product. I am wondering if it is mostly marketing hype or the real deal. If you've actually heard em let er rip!!!  :thumb:

cstory

• Seaching for clues
Re: GoldenEar Triton Two. Has anyone heard them?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Apr 2011, 08:44 pm »
I heard a pair this past weekend. They are pretty good speakers for the money. I'm not sure about the set up where I auditioned them as the speakers were really far apart and toed in quite a lot. I really couldn't judge the imaging of them. I thought they lacked a little detail and it seemed that the bass wasn't quite conected with the rest of the speaker, but then again that could be set up issues. They were using McIntosh electronics so I would be hesitant to blame the electronics.

Overall, they were good and for the price, you get a lot of speaker.

The thing with speakers though is it's all subjective and everyone hears different things. I am a detail freak and I like a big soundstage. My Martin Logan's are nearly unbeatable when it comes to that. I think my Selah Grandeur's are a better speaker overall in terms of detail and treble and bass integration relative to the Triton's. But, the differences aren't night and day.

I think the Tritons are a good value and people should listen to them if they get a chance. They may just blow you away. It's all a matter of personal taste.

Taterworks

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2011, 09:55 pm »
I'm surprised that The Absolute Sound has been reviewing Def Techs for a while (see their most recent issue for the latest example) and usually they've been very complementary, but they haven't rushed to review the GoldenEar Triton. When I heard them, I was very, very impressed. All kinds of detail, and very solid bass, and a nice-looking industrial design that obviously borrows a lot from Definitive (though I wish the front grilles had been made removable instead of continuing with the wraparound 'sock'). Sandy Gross is a phenomenal designer and his products always deliver a lot of value, despite the high cost of admission (which comes with the territory). I think these speakers will be a huge success, even though the company's name isn't very creative.

mramsden

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2011, 11:17 pm »
I have had these in my system for a couple of months, and am very satisfied. My wife and kids have far better ears than mine, and also love them.

System: Pathos Classic One MkIII integrated amp. Clearaudio Concept TT with the MM cart; Moon 310LP Phone stage; Marantz SA8004 SACD/DAC; HD audio files from (silent, custom built, HDPlex case) PC through USB to the Marantz DAC, running J River.

It all sounds great. I can't compare with other speakers, since I haven't had others in this setup, but we sure don't find they lack for anything.  Top end seems very clear to me, and the bottom end solid, not bloated.

I do note that there is clearly a difference (even to me) between CD tracks (from whatever source) vs high res tracks (either computer based or vinyl). I guess that doesn't surprise anyone here!

When first auditioning them, our local dealer in Vancouver recommended them over a set of speakers they also sold that were twice the price: he sells both lines, and I was willing to buy either. I was impressed by his integrity, and have been delighted with the speakers.

..Mike

2gumby2

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2011, 12:16 pm »
I heard them last month at a Hi-Fi dealer in Dallas when I was there on business. I thought they sounded O.K., but not a great value at that price point. I like the Aperion Audio Verus Grande much better for a high value speaker IMO.

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2011, 12:22 pm »
The Absolute Sound has not reviewed them, but The Perfect Vision has. You can read it at AVguide.com.

http://www.avguide.com/review/goldenear-tritoncinema-two-5-channel-surround-system-part-1-tpv-101