Healthy salad dressing?

JoshK

Healthy salad dressing?
« on: 13 Apr 2011, 04:58 pm »
So in an effort to eat healthier, I've been eating mostly salads for lunches.  Except the dressing is the rub.  I don't like tart dressings.  There seems to be no healthier choices for dressings that aren't tart (like Balsamic vinegarette, Italian, etc). 

I am a fan of Ceasar, Ranch, Blue Cheese and creamy Italian.  Ideas?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Healthy salad dressing?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:08 pm »
  Josh processed dressings are not very good for ya. Unless organic which are IMO way over priced. Get a blender, some extra virgin olive oil and go to the food channel for ideas and just make your own.
 we use fresh lemon juice in lieu of the acidic vinegars. The lemon used sparingly will just freshen up the ingedients without the tart. Actually just lemon, EVOO and S&P is quite good.

charles

martyo

« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:11 pm »
http://www.braswells.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=593

We use this. Very flavorful, no fat and low in calories, especially for salad dressing. Not tart. I like all the dressings you list that you are a fan of and this is as flavorful as any of them.  8)

srb

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:19 pm »
I have become addicted to a homemade dressing of a Greek non-fat yogurt base, adding mustard, chopped green onion, chopped garlic, dill, crushed red pepper, lime and/or lemon juice and a bit of reduced sodium soy sauce.  It comes out a little thick and I thin it with low-sodium vegetable broth or water.  Fantastic and very satisfying.

Steve

xr2

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:22 pm »
I like to do salads for lunch too, but even dealing with dressing in my situation is too much of a pain.  Currently, my lunch salad consists of spinach, walnuts, Gorgonzola, sugar snap peas, and dried cranberries.  Between the cheese and the cranberries, I don't really miss having a dressing.

Though I'm always on the look out for ways to mix this up.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:24 pm »
All good suggestions so far! 

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:25 pm »
what I would do is thin out no fat greek yogurt with skim milk and flavor to taste.  That or a dressing based on tahini sauce. 

low.pfile

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:27 pm »
josh, are you looking for something to make or just buy ready made? I'd go with srb's suggestion of whipping up your own. I too have stopped buying premade dressing probably 5 years. I like simple oil and herbs with lemon or vinegar. there are a thousand variations.

based on your tart comment, sounds like you DON'T like vinegar, with is actually sour, but you really like creamy which of course is the bad stuff in most pre-made dressings.

If you are adventurous, here is a pre-made "dressing" to try: hummus. Regular hummus. I get mine at Trader Joe's. it's creamy, has some good garlic flavor and is healthy. I throw a few spoonfuls in with my greens and vegetables and a squeeze of lemon juice and I like it.

you could thin it out with a bit of water or olive oil or both.

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:33 pm »
Well, I am ok with making my own dressings for home for dinner, but for lunch I go to the salad bar.  They have only 8-10 choices.  Still my question was more in general as I find I just don't care for vinegar based dressings on salads, together its just too acidic tasting to me. 

Worst case, I can bring my own dressing into work and still go to the salad bar. 

wywires

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2011, 05:46 pm »
Here's my recipe, 4 parts EV olive oil, 1-1.5 parts wine vinegar, Small dollop of Dijon mustard, a squirt of honey, a few drops of Worcestershire sauce, a pinch of salt and a bit of pepper. Use a whisk to blend it up and you're done. No need for a blender.

Caesar...One raw egg, 4 parts olive oil to 1 part lemon juice, one clove of garlic finely chopped, a squirt of anchovy paste, squirt of Worcestershire, a few drops of Tabasco sauce, a dollop of Dijon mustard, salt, pepper. Whisk it up and you are ready to go. Don't forget the croutons and Parmesan cheese shaved or shredded. Yum!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2011, 06:00 pm »
Josh,

I'm dairy (milk) and egg free and run into the same issues at salad bars.  Vinegar is simply to acidic most times so I avoid that, too. Fortunately, many of these bars are equipped to please, nonetheless :)

Olive Oil, lemon and salt are generally quite pleasing. Some nuts, a little bacon, tuna or turkey generally liven up what can be often a little dull.

I sometimes add Liquid Amino's (aka, Tamari sauce) and, if available (rarely) tarragon livens things up a lot. Tarragon on salads is positively yummy - try it at home maybe first and see.

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2011, 07:52 pm »
+1 on EVOO.

Wayner

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2011, 08:05 pm »
This Garlic Anchovy dressing is one of my favorite salad dressings.  You can substitute red wine vinegar with lemon juice. 

BTW, if you are going to pack your own dressing, you might as well pack your own salad.  It would be a lot cheaper.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2011, 09:23 pm »
EVOO and a bit of salt/pepper.  Simple is best!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2011, 11:50 pm »
I have become addicted to a homemade dressing of a Greek non-fat yogurt base, adding mustard, chopped green onion, chopped garlic, dill, crushed red pepper, lime and/or lemon juice and a bit of reduced sodium soy sauce.  It comes out a little thick and I thin it with low-sodium vegetable broth or water.  Fantastic and very satisfying.

Steve

That sounds pretty good Steve will try. 

charles

ctviggen

« Reply #15 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:12 am »
This Garlic Anchovy dressing is one of my favorite salad dressings.  You can substitute red wine vinegar with lemon juice. 

This sounds great.  I doubt I'll get the wife to try it, though.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:13 am »

Steve

This sounds really good.  Can you post a recipe?

sts9fan

« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2011, 12:23 am »
Some would say that he did.

JDUBS

« Reply #18 on: 14 Apr 2011, 01:58 am »
Some would say that he did.

:lol:

-Jim

Sarchi

« Reply #19 on: 14 Apr 2011, 02:20 am »
EVOO and some rice wine vinegar.  Slap 'em on the salad and mix it around a little.  :thumb:
A bit of pepper if you like.