Song Towers -vs- Dynaudio Focus 110's

havon

Song Towers -vs- Dynaudio Focus 110's
« on: 11 Apr 2011, 02:20 am »
Does anybody have any real world experience with the Dynaudio 110??  Unless I get a chance to demo a pair of ST's, I am prob gonna go with the 110's.  After stands, the 110's are about the same price as a pair of ST's.  I had a chance to demo the 110's at Pro Musica in Chicago and absolutely enjoyed them (with Naim amplification)!!  Along with the 110's, I demo's the Dynaudio 140's and pair of Rega RS3's.  Out of those 3, the 110's came out the winner to my ears.  Prior to that, I have auditioned BW, Deftech's, and ML's sold at/through Magnolia/Best Buy.  The B&W, Deftech, and ML stuff all left me with a bland taste in my mouth.  For the $$, I expected more.  The Rega's were OK....miles above the stuff sold at Magnolia.  The Dynaudios made me think WOW!!  I have been window shopping Song Towers's since x-mas.  Until I heard the 110's, I prob would have bought a pair of ST's w/o a demo....but since I really liked the 110's and KNOW they will sound good for my application, I need more info (and possibly a demo) on how the ST's compare to the Dyn's.  So if anybody out there has some experience with the 110's, let me know.  If I get a response, I can ask some specifics.....until then, thanks for your help!!   

Art_Chicago

Re: Song Towers -vs- Dynaudio Focus 110's
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2011, 08:50 pm »
hmm... Why do not you audition ST's? I know at least one guy in Chicago area with ST's  :D
BTW, what kind of music you like? 

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2011, 08:55 pm »
I've had a set of Dynaudio Focus 110's in the past.  Good speakers for the money.   :thumb:   My biggest gripe with them is that they sounded kinda 'boxy'. I also found them to be a touch limited in the dynamics department.  Otherwise, it's a great all around speaker.  I'd LOVE to get my ears on a set of the active versions!

That said, the Song Tower's are a nice option because despite being damn near 5x the size of the 110's, they work well in small rooms. Plus, you'll get better bass extension, dynamics, a more open and detailed sounding midrange, along with a more precise sound-stage.  So, if you can wing it, my vote would go for the Song Towers.

As usual though, it's best to demo something before you hand over the cash.  The cool news is that there are tons of Salk owners all over the country.  If ya list your general locale, maybe someone will invite ya over for a demo!

funkmonkey

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2011, 04:23 am »
I haven't heard the 110's, but I did audition several other Dynaudio products (Speakerquest).
I would lean toward the ST's as they have more clarity than the Dyn's that I heard.  The Dyn's were great, very easy to listen to.  I seriously considered the Focus 220s at one point, but after listening to the Salks my view changed a bit.  I would seek out an audition of the SongTowers, as a very high priority.  They are excellent.
Cheers, and good luck.
Funk

coke

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2011, 04:30 am »
I replaced a set of Dynaudio Contour S 1.4 with a pair of Salk HT2-TLs.  The Salks are better in every way other than physical size.

My dad recently bought a set of Songtower RTs with the LCY ribbon.

I haven't heard the Focus 110's, but I'd pick the Songtowers over the Contours.

havon

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2011, 11:38 am »
My profile location is prob wrong…I now live in a Anchorage. However, I have been doing a great deal of travel lately. I am in Vegas towards the end of the month. I did find a board member in Henderson who offered me a demo. So I guess all of my questions will be (hopefully) answered shortly.

billmcc

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2011, 02:58 am »
I had the 140s and I liked them very much. The STs are just an overall better speaker IMO. Hard to say as I did not have the 140s when I bought the STs to do a direct comparison. But going off of memory overall imaging, midrange, bass output and the ability to be pushed to higher volumes without strain are things that stand out for me.

Bill