BDA-1 vs. Naim DAC

headshrinker2

BDA-1 vs. Naim DAC
« on: 11 Apr 2011, 01:49 am »
I have thoroughly enjoyed a home demo of Bryston BDA-1 DAC this weekend.  Oh the sweet music.

I run an all Naim system.  Can folks around here comment on differences in SQ between the BDA-1 and the Naim DAC?  I do not have the Naim available for audition in my area.  Wondering if its' with the extra moolah? 

I have a funny feeling I'm not going to have an all Naim system for much longer (after this weekend).

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-1 vs. Naim DAC
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2011, 09:21 am »
Hi headshrinker2

Glad your enjoying the BDA-1 :thumb:  I think it is one of those products you have to experience in your own system to realize what a terrific difference a quality DAC can make in an audio system :D

Also something I do not think people consider is given the 8 inputs of the BDA it can act as a central attachment point for many different digital sources :thumb:

Enjoy!

James

Robert D

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2011, 11:27 am »
I have thoroughly enjoyed a home demo of Bryston BDA-1 DAC this weekend.  Oh the sweet music.

I run an all Naim system.  Can folks around here comment on differences in SQ between the BDA-1 and the Naim DAC?  I do not have the Naim available for audition in my area.  Wondering if its' with the extra moolah? 

I have a funny feeling I'm not going to have an all Naim system for much longer (after this weekend).

Thanks!
Welcome aboard iheadshrinker2 it does not get any better  Buddy :thumb:

Robert

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2011, 03:40 pm »
The Naim DAC is quite good IMO.  It has a few features the BDA-1 doesn't have, which drive up the price - most notably iPod digital decoding and ability to use a seperate PSU.  The Naim DAC also has DINs, which are a Naim thing, as I'm sure you know the difference between them and RCAs.

The difference between them is the stereotypical difference between Naim and Bryston - wall of sound vs 3D imaging, Bryston's precision vs Naim's aggression (in a good way), etc.

I'm a huge Naim fan.  I like the BDA-1 more.  Naim guys tout PRaT, but I'm sure you're hearing just as much of it in the BDA-1 as you did in a Naim source.  Sonically the BDA-1 does everything the Naim DAC does, and adds a dose of hifi attributes too.

If you're in Europe, the price difference will be different.  Here in NA, the BDA-1 is about $1k cheaper.  I think it's a no brainer, but that's just me.  Synergy is an important factor though. I don't foresee any synergy issues with the BDA-1, but I haven't heard it with a Naim system.

The Naim DAC gets bashed a bit on the Naim forum.  Can't see why.  I heard it with the top level non-500 series Naim seperates and S600 Ovators, and it was one of the best systems I've ever heard.  It's no slouch.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2011, 03:41 pm »
To add...

If I wasn't a Bryston guy, I'd be a Naim guy. 

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2011, 04:15 pm »
To add...

If I wasn't a Bryston guy, I'd be a Naim guy.

So you're a No Naim guy? :P

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2011, 04:49 pm »
I've been called worse  :lol:

That's how I stay incognito. 

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2011, 04:52 pm »
I've been called worse  :lol:

That's how I stay incognito.