Need Gospel Recommendations For A Gift

Captain Humble

« on: 30 Mar 2004, 02:19 pm »
I don't own any and probably wouldn't know good Gospel from bad.
Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Jeff

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2004, 04:22 pm »
There's lots of "Gospel" music available. Who is it for, and what types of music do they like? I might be able to help. :)

infiniti driver

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2004, 03:52 am »
Do a search for Raymond A Myles. A taste of Heaven.

Soulful, musical, inspirational.

A keeper.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2004, 05:17 am »
Jeff,
    Don't happen to have an Gospel music, but here's a link at Amazon, listing favorite cd selections ->
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/5HPAFB7DWNR/102-4762830-7829766 . Good Luck !! :) [/list:u]

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2004, 12:17 pm »
One interesting group--
http://www.blindboys.com/main.html

Shamrock Audio

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2004, 04:45 pm »
The Parachute Band

http://websites.parachutemusic.com/parachuteband/

New Zealand band that I recently heard at our church and was quite impressed with.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2004, 06:04 pm »
Mighty Sam McClain belts out some awesome gospel blues.  You can find his excellent sounding recordings on the Audioquest and Telarc labels.

Captain Humble

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2004, 12:24 pm »
Who is it for, and what types of music do they like?
They are French Nobility residing in Paris.  He's my wife's cousin and is both an HR Director for a large corporation and a Corporate Judge.  His wife is also a gospel fan and she's a Medical Doctor.  Prior to our visit two years ago, for their son's wedding, we found out that they just love gospel music.  Their attraction to gospel isn't about religion, they just love the music and there is little to choose from in France.  That's all we knew.  

Having no background in gospel, I simply bought a few CDs with black people in robes on the cover and hoped they would like it.  They did.  As a matter of fact they hired a black gospel group to sing at the wedding. They were awesome and every tune was performed acapella.  The reception band was rock.

They are paying us a visit in late April and I want to pick up a few more disks for them.

Sorry for the dissertation, but I found it most interesting that a couple of highly educated, white, French people had discovered and simply love black gospel music.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.  I should have some time to check them out today.

Jeff

pjchappy

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2004, 05:20 pm »
"Having no background in gospel, I simply bought a few CDs with black people in robes on the cover and hoped they would like it."

That's funny. . .

p

Cens

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2004, 08:34 pm »
Try the Fairfield Four's Standing in the Safety Zone.  Fantastic album.

Regards,

Chris

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 2 Apr 2004, 03:17 am »
Quote from: pjchappy
"Having no background in gospel, I simply bought a few CDs with black people in robes on the cover and hoped they would like it."

That's funny. . .

p
That really is funny ! Jeff...Glad you didn't pick up the cds with the white people in robes(and maybe hoods) !!! :lol:

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
I have a Few
« Reply #11 on: 2 Apr 2004, 03:27 am »
Most gospel recordings are quite poor quality.  This follows the trend of most "popular" music.

There are a couple good ones.

1.  Andrea Crouch Christmas - don't laugh, this one is a true audiophile grade recording and the music is very good too.

2.  Stephen Curtis Chapman - Speechless

3.  Caedmons Call - 40 Acres.  Also, I think one of the new CC cd's are decent too.

Beyond these, the quality drops marginally or considerably.