Albert or others in the know...

Indiansprings

Albert or others in the know...
« on: 10 Apr 2011, 02:45 pm »
I own a pair of very nice VR-2's.  :D
How should I approach sound treatment behind the speakers. Should I be doing something different because of the rear firing tweeter? I don't want to invest in treatment panels behind the speakers if they are not necessary.

BigSwede

Re: Albert or others in the know...
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2011, 08:56 pm »
I have a solid plaster wall behind my VR-2s, haven't felt any need for more absorption on that wall...and in any case the rear firing tweeters are of course adjustable. Granted I don't think you would want a hyper reflective surface there, such as glass.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2011, 11:19 pm »
I haven't found a need to do anything behind my VR-2's. The rear of the speakers are 30" from the wall which are plaster with glass framed art and the room sounds great. Ambiance knob is set at 3-1/4.

Notice the foam surrounds around the tweeters. If you listen with the grills off these help focus the sound and improve imaging. The elongated octagon shape allows the grills to still be used too. Contact Jim at http://www.diffractionbegone.com/ for a pair of custom made tweeter surrounds if you have no way to make your own.

My homemade ambiance enhancers lifts and separates the highs, a subtle but important improvement to the sound.

Wayne

Indiansprings

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2011, 01:29 am »
I thought you would have posted a pic of our speakers together. They still sound great after all the tweeks you did to then.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2011, 02:06 am »
I forgot I had a pic, here are the VR-2 siblings along with a cousin - the LCR-15.