M-80 Speaker Cables are now available on the website

Wayne1

I have added the M-80 speaker cables to my website, so they can now be ordered.

M-80 Speaker Cables

I have sent a 10 foot pair with Furutech Spades to Jackman to take a listen to.

The M-80 speaker wire is currently only available with spade lugs, I have some bananas coming in for evaluation next week.

I do have Speak-On connectors available, if anyone is interested in that option.

Tyson doesn't like the idea of calling the speaker wire M-80. He thinks it should be given a different name.

He feels I should name my products after dangerous things :)

Because of the thin diameter of this speaker cable, he feels it should be called "Garrote"  :o

What do you all think?

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2003, 05:59 pm »
How about the C-4?  Plastic explosive, much more powerful than an M80!!!

Maybe we can have a contest and give away a MENSA upgrade...just kidding.

J

Hantra

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2003, 06:23 pm »
I think M-80 is good actually.  It maintains a consistency throughout the line, and gives people an idea of the level of performance relative to the other products.  

Of course, I may be thinking from purely a marketing standpoint here. . .

B

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2003, 08:46 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
I think M-80 is good actually.  It maintains a consistency throughout the line, and gives people an idea of the level of performance relative to the other products.

Exactly my thoughts on it. Keeping the M-80 name lets me know that it's of similar (or identical) makup to the M-80 so I can tell easier where it stands in you product line.

What should Tyson care about the M-80 name on the speaker cables for? He's got Nitro speaker cables, right? I don't see him complaining about the Nitro name on the speaker cables... :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2003, 08:48 pm »
I'll third that, M-80 makes sense to me.

bubba966

Re: M-80 Speaker Cables are now available on the website
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2003, 08:51 pm »
Quote from: Wayne1
The M-80 speaker wire is currently only available with spade lugs, I have some bananas coming in for evaluation next week.

Are the gold plated spades copper, or brass? And what about the bananas you've got coming?

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2003, 09:02 pm »
Did you see how it was $100 more for the Furutech ones?  Geez those badboys are expensive.

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2003, 09:04 pm »
The Gold Plated spades are made from an Oxygen Free Copper base and directly gold plated.

The bananas are a brass base metal with a copper alloy contact and a gold finish plate.

I have yet to find any inexpensive bananas that do not use brass as a base metal

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2003, 09:07 pm »
:oops:

Just re-read the description on the web page and caught that the OFC comment was referring to the gold spades, not referring to the cable itself as I though it did. So that answers half of my question above.

You think they'd teach us to read better in Seattle...

How about the bananas?

bubba966

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2003, 09:10 pm »
I have yet to find any inexpensive bananas that do not use brass as a base metal

The WBT's are copper, right? Are you going to stop offering those as an option?

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2003, 09:15 pm »
Actually Josh,

The Furutech spades are cheaper than the WBT spades and I do feel that they sound quite a bit better.

Furutech are the only folks using PCOCC for connectors.

Remember there are 8 connectors @ 12.50 each.

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2003, 09:31 pm »
The WBT bananas do use a brass base metal, or as they call it, a copper alloy. :)

The midline connectors use 55% copper, 45% zinc.

The topline uses a higher percentage of copper.

I am still thinking about what to offer as a step up from the inexpensive bananas I have coming in.

I am thinking about the Cardas bananas and Furutech makes a similar angled banana to the WBT with Rhodium plating, but they are VERY expensive.

I really do tend to prefer the sound of a Rhodium plated connector to a gold plated one. However Rhodium plating does cost more :(

duff138

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jan 2003, 01:01 am »
The posts on my speakers accept 3/8 inch spade lugs (inside diameter).  Slightly bigger than what you are offering.  Can you get larger size spades, or should I just go with the banana plugs?

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jan 2003, 01:57 am »
Just got the test pair!  Like everything I have gotten from Wayne/Bolder, the workmanship is as good as it gets.  I'm about to hook them up (after my wife is done with her movie) and start the testing!!!  I've been looking forward to this all day.  :D

Jman

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jan 2003, 02:09 am »
The Furutech spades wiil fit around posts up to 8.2 mm or .32 inch diameter.

I also have some Cardas spades that will fit 9 mm posts, roughly .35 inch diameter.

That is as large a spade opening that I am aware of.

If you do have a binding post that is thicker than that, all I can offer would be bananas.

bubba966

« Reply #15 on: 3 Feb 2003, 08:53 am »
The WBT bananas do use a brass base metal, or as they call it, a copper alloy. :)

The midline connectors use 55% copper, 45% zinc.

The topline uses a higher percentage of copper.

I am still thinking about what to offer as a step up from the inexpensive bananas I have coming in.

I am thinking about the Cardas bananas and Furutech makes a similar angled banana to the WBT with Rhodium plating, but they are VERY expensive.

I really do tend to prefer the sound of a Rhodium plated connector to a gold plated one. However Rhodium plating does cost more :(

So is there no banana option at all that has no brass or other non-copper base material?

Sometime in the future I would like to upgrade my speaker cable. But unfortunately I can't really run spades on the source end. I could do it on the speaker end though if needed. I'd rather just use bananas on both ends, even though it'd probably be more expensive to do with high quality bananas.

bubba966

« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2003, 04:13 am »
Wayne, do you know what the Furutech 'nanas are made up of?

And how much $ are we talking on using Furutech 'nanas?

Wayne1

« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2003, 05:42 pm »
Sorry for the delay in replying to you Bubba,

"Features: 4 step plated Bronze ( Cu-Ag-Cu-Au or Rh )
Conductor with Non-magnetic Rhodium Plated"

They are about $25.00 each

Ernest

« Reply #18 on: 5 Mar 2003, 03:27 am »
I just recently got a pair of the M-80 speaker cables and I love them!  They have the same great build quality that Wayne is known for, are quite thin and easy to work with, and of course, sound great.  What I most notice over his previous generation speaker cable is a more open, transparent sound, an ease and naturalness, and much tighter bass.  Great job Wayne!

Pez

Re: M-80 Speaker Cables are now available on the website
« Reply #19 on: 5 Mar 2003, 03:49 am »

Tyson doesn't like the idea of calling the speaker wire M-80. He thinks it should be given a different name.

He feels I should name my products after dangerous things  :)

Yeah the only problem with that is you'd have a bunch of cables named "scissors" and "drain-o"  You know Tyson isn't allowed around anything with a sharp edge or poisonous.  :flame:

Its safety scissors and circle paper for Tyson  :lol: