VSA Speaker upgrades

Charles Calkins

VSA Speaker upgrades
« on: 6 Apr 2011, 05:49 pm »
I sent my VR-4 GENIII HSE speakers to Albert for upgrades on Feb.15. Finally got them back yesterday.
 The upgrades consist of all new drivers in the upper and lower cabinets. New crossover system. The interior of the cabinets have been treated with triple wall damping material to eliminate cabinet resonance. All this cost was $2500.00. The shipping charges to him and back to me were $567.30.

How do they sound? GREAT!!!. Much more detail. Tighter bass.

So if anybody has been thinking about getting their VSA speakers upgraded I say DO IT!!! you will not be disappointed when you hear the difference in sound.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: VSA Speaker upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2011, 09:34 pm »
Good move Chas!  :thumb:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2011, 10:48 pm »
Something I just noticed today. I can clearly see the new drivers in the woofer cabinets. Couldn't see them before. Can't see the drivers in the upper cabinets. They look the same as before. No big deal. Albert recovered both cabinets with new sock material. Sure wish these things weren't covered with sock material. Dust collectors!!!

Cheers
                                                Charlie
P.S.
  Albert says they need 500 hours to break in. That's a WOW!!!  What will they sound like then??

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2011, 11:57 pm »
I'm guessing what you've got in there now are SR Mk.3 components. My first VR was an HSE, I have SR Mk3s in my second system now. I bet you are just loving all that effortless clarity and efficiency, not needing to crank it for the system to come alive. Well, they'll get even smoother and tighter in time :)

Congratulations Chuck!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2011, 12:17 am »
Albert tells me that the speakers have been upgraded to the VR-4 SR MK4 version. Whatever all that B.S. means. Makes no difference to me. I'm just liking what I'm hearing.

Cheers
                                            Charlie

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2011, 02:00 am »
MK4???  This is starting to sound like the Rocky sequels....what are they up to now...8 or 9?...Sly Stallone jabbing from his walker?  :duh:
« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2011, 12:51 pm by es347 »

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2011, 06:01 pm »
Hello VR-4 Owners,

Since the VR-4 Gen III has a different type of cabinet without the tilted back head unit of the VR-4 SR Mk3, we couldn't install the same exact system as the VR-4 SR Mk3, since it uses mechanical Time Alignment, while the VR-4 Gen III used electrical phase alignment.

Since the crossovers are different (but have a similar sonic result), we decided to call the VR-4 Gen III upgrade the "VR-4 Gen 4."  It is voiced to the VR-4 SR Mk3 and uses similar parts (except for the crossover), so it is a very nice value. As Mr. Caulkins mentions, the bass is tighter and cleaner, but the midrange and treble are also more transparent and "alive" with much more room presence.  The new version is also 50% more efficient, resulting a a higher dynamic range and "jump factor."  The side-by-side difference between the models is quite impressive.

As always, Happy Listening.

Albert

srb

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2011, 06:10 pm »
The new version is also 50% more efficient, resulting a a higher dynamic range and "jump factor."

When you say 50% more efficient, does that translate to ~ +1.75dB in sensitivity?

Steve

Charles Calkins

« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:49 pm »

When you say 50% more efficient, does that translate to ~ +1.75dB in sensitivity?

Steve

Steve:
   I'm not sure about the sensitivity figures but I'm finding that I don't have to increase the pre volume control as much as before. At a 7 setting they are putting out a lot of sound. At a 9 setting they are very LOUD!!! Does that have something to do with sensitivity?

Cheers
                                                Charlie

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2011, 06:46 pm »
The volume knob number varies directly with age  :lol:

Rocker77

« Reply #10 on: 12 Apr 2011, 03:39 pm »
Hello VS fans!
New to the Circle.  I have an Original pair of VR3 speaks.  Using a David Berning ZH-270 tube amp with a Joule Electra 100-MK3 tube pre
Yes, I know, the VR3's are like, 15 years old now but I am wondering if there is an upgrade kit that can be found somewhere that a DYI guy could install?  I.e. caps, woofs binders etc, etc.
Or,
Is there a factory upgrade that would be worthwhile considering the age of the speakers?  I'm finding them a tad slow overall withthe the Berning and a bit bloomy in the bass.  I love these guys but I'm afraid they might be lagging behind the rest of my system.

Cheers!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2011, 01:09 am »
Hello VR-4 Owners,

Since the VR-4 Gen III has a different type of cabinet without the tilted back head unit of the VR-4 SR Mk3, we couldn't install the same exact system as the VR-4 SR Mk3, since it uses mechanical Time Alignment, while the VR-4 Gen III used electrical phase alignment.

Since the crossovers are different (but have a similar sonic result), we decided to call the VR-4 Gen III upgrade the "VR-4 Gen 4."  It is voiced to the VR-4 SR Mk3 and uses similar parts (except for the crossover), so it is a very nice value. As Mr. Caulkins mentions, the bass is tighter and cleaner, but the midrange and treble are also more transparent and "alive" with much more room presence.  The new version is also 50% more efficient, resulting a a higher dynamic range and "jump factor."  The side-by-side difference between the models is quite impressive.

As always, Happy Listening.

Albert
Yes Albert is right. I've been listening to them for about three weeks now. I can not get over how darn good they sound since the upgrades!! Sorry to say but my search for new speakers has come to a screeching halt!! BUT!!!  Mi Nombre es Calkins not Caulkins!!! That's okay I'll answer to anything anybody wants to call me. Even DUMDUM!!

Cheers
                                               Charlie

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2011, 02:30 pm »
hey Chas....a Night at the Museum reference?  :lol:

Steve

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2011, 05:48 pm »
Hello VS fans!

Yes, I know, the VR3's are like, 15 years old now but I am wondering if there is an upgrade kit that can be found somewhere that a DYI guy could install?  I.e. caps, woofs binders etc, etc.
Or,
Is there a factory upgrade that would be worthwhile considering the age of the speakers?  I'm finding them a tad slow overall withthe the Berning and a bit bloomy in the bass.  I love these guys but I'm afraid they might be lagging behind the rest of my system.

Cheers!

Hi Rocker,

Trust me, whatever upgrade or new version you purchase, I think you will love it. They just keep getting better and better.

Cheers.

StereoNut

« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2011, 12:27 pm »

Steve

Albert

What would the sensitivity rating be of an upgraded pair of VR-4 Gen.III's to Mk.4 status and how does that compare to the original rating on the VR-4 Gen.III's? 

Thanks!
SN