Bi-wiring my 3.6's ??

chessie

Bi-wiring my 3.6's ??
« on: 6 Apr 2011, 10:07 am »
Is it worth Bi-wiring my 3.6's straight from my bryston 7BST's or should I simply upgrade the metal jumper on the speaker? Unfortunately I rewired my house and installed wall plates with bi-wire outlets, made two sets of connector wires from the wall plates to each speaker and then ran double runs through the walls to the amps. It was then I realized there's not a whole lot of room on the speaker connectors to accept my dual 10 ga. wires. How do I easily connect two sets of wires to each post? I tried doubling them up in a single monster banana plug but when I plugged it in it didn't feel tight enough, actually it didn't appear to go in far enough either. Now I'm thinking spades but even they seam a little tricking to keep away from each other. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. :scratch:

ajzepp

Re: Bi-wiring my 3.6's ??
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2011, 02:36 am »
If your situation allows for it, I'd consider taking it a step further and bi-amp them. I picked up a Marchand external crossover shortly after I got my 3.6s and it really made a nice improvement. I think Bryston makes an external crossover that is highly thought of, if I'm not mistaken.

DustyC

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2011, 05:15 am »
2nd the bi-amping. I did the same with my 3.6's using a Marchand crossover. Bi-wiring wound up being an excuse to spend extra on wire.  :(

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2011, 07:31 am »
Biwiring does some good.
I can see that two 10 gauge wires could be hard to stick in the Bryston amp terminals. You could do one banana, and one spade? thus the connections would be there. Atthe speaker end the ten gauge should be good fit. (though i would get the sleeves from WBT that they use to crimp. Those are gold and are $2 each, Then the wires would not get really messed up from the set screw in the speaker wire holders
I biwire my 3.6s with Kimber 8TC.

steve k

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2011, 01:33 pm »
Bi amping is the best way to go with 3-series Maggies IMO. You get much better grip on the bass panels by having amps driving ONLY them and you get less crosstalk between frequency bands and better separation. While you'll need more amps, they won't be working as hard either. Another economical alternative for active crossovers is the Dahlquist LP-1 which is active only on the bass section with only a pair of caps for the high cutoff. Very simple signal path and very natural sound.
My 2 cents.
steve