Death of Peter Ustinov, raconteur and comic genius

AKSA

« on: 29 Mar 2004, 09:03 pm »
Yesterday in Switzerland, aged 82.  I was introduced to Ustinov as a child, loved his sharp, but never cruel humour.  Son of a German mother and Russian father, raised in London in the twenties and thirties, his accents and caricatures, his knowledge of human behaviour, his stories of the war, his gentle but profound humour, his skill with an audience - were all seminal gifts.  He was loved by Europeans, adored by the Brits for making them laugh, admired by the Americans for his acting range and language skill - a truly world citizen. He brought dignity and intelligence to the role of fat man, and will be hugely missed.  

In a serious role, his later performance as Suleiman in Ashanti was wonderful.  His attitude to the military was comical and reflected my own, having served for 21 years.  He wanted to go to war 'sitting down' as a tank driver.  His understanding of the human condition, and the mechanisms of humour was extraordinary.  Even his autobiography, entitled 'Dear Me', was comical.

It's 7am here right now.  Ben is about to arrive for a design session on the DAKSA..... :idea:

Hugh

Occam

« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2004, 09:35 pm »
a truly brilliiant thespian.....
A little know Ustinov gem is called "Hot Millions", with a supporting cast of Maggie Smith, Bob Newhart, Carl Malden, Robert Morley, circa '68.
A great flick.
It was (to me) the first mention of computer fraud, and gave me essential guidance in my career.... :roll:

hmen

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2004, 10:48 pm »
There was a movie in the mid 60's called "John Goldfarb Please Come Home" where he did a brilliant comic portrayal of an Arab Sheik. It's very hard to find on video or DVD but the Fox movie channel shows it occasionally.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2004, 11:25 pm »
He was the BEST  Herculie Perot :wink:  Hands down one of the golden era's best actor's.. and now we have Brad Pitt :banghead: What a joke :lol:

Mark_Walsh

Allistair Cook
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2004, 01:18 am »
I have never had the opportunity to warm to Ustinov's humour or personality.  It is always difficult to judge people of such stature from the 5 second glimpses one catches of them on television if their appeal lies in substance rather than sound bytes.  If he were so universally admired, then I will keep an eye out for his works in the future.  (I became a fan of Elvis Presley only after he died too.)

I was actually more saddened by the passing of Allistair Cook (spelling??). I stumbled across his Letters from America years ago and was thrilled by his insight, humour and balanced approach to some of the biggest and most complicated topics of the day.

I would dearly like transcripts of his best letters, or perhaps all of them, to read as I drift off to sleep on hot afternoons or at night.  They may abe released soon.  HIS favourite letters are being re-transmitted at 1145 each Sunday on one of the ABC stations (I think Radio National) for some time to come.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Mark

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2004, 07:30 am »
Mark.

Have you looked at the BBC website? they should have some transcripts and recorded files to listen to.

Start at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/letter_from_america/default.stm

Nick.

Mark_Walsh

The internet has some uses...
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2004, 11:29 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, G-Git,

I guess that the internet does have some uses after all ... AKSA, BBC-Online.  Will have a listen when I get home to the puter with a sound card.

Regards,
Mark.