Alternative money absorbers

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Alternative money absorbers
« on: 3 Apr 2011, 06:28 pm »
Some of youse guys blow your bucks on tube mono block amps.  Me--I just shovel it inside 1973 BMW's.   Although both of the objects in the picture were bought new, the white one on the right came with a longer warranty.  And he's also much faster off the line. 

Paul K.

Re: Alternative money absorbers
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2011, 06:48 pm »
In my younger years, the car brand I most drooled over was BMW and I drove several as potential purchases knowing, however, at the time there was no way in heck I could afford them.  :(

Your '73 Bimmer looks mighty nice for its age.
Paul

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2011, 06:57 pm »
when i was a kid, turning 16, the 2002 was the car i wanted.  i still have a soft spot for them.  and yes, i can imagine they are good money absorbers.  yours, w/its front end in the air, looks like it could use an engine!   8)

doug s.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2011, 07:29 pm »
Your '73 Bimmer looks mighty nice for its age.

A lot better than I do.  But then I haven't had as much cosmetic surgery. 

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2011, 09:14 pm »
Hehehe......love it! :lol:

Looks like Ben is doing well learning how to "stay", or at least long enough to take the photo. :thumb:

funkmonkey

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2011, 11:20 pm »
 :thumb:  That's great Dennis.  I should show that pic to my Dad.  He bought a '73 2002 brand new, his first new car, and still has it.  He finally got it out of the garage, and into a shop to begin the restoration process...  needs a lot of work, but the interior is in great shape.  I drove it for a summer back in '87 (I think) and had a blast...  that was the last time it was driven regularly.  I hope his looks as good as yours when it's done.
Cheers

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2011, 12:56 am »
:thumb:  That's great Dennis.  I should show that pic to my Dad.  He bought a '73 2002 brand new, his first new car, and still has it.  He finally got it out of the garage, and into a shop to begin the restoration process...  needs a lot of work, but the interior is in great shape.  I drove it for a summer back in '87 (I think) and had a blast...  that was the last time it was driven regularly.  I hope his looks as good as yours when it's done.
Cheers

KaChing KaChing   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$  Let the games begin.  Tell him that if the rear shock towers are rusted through, hold a memorial service and move on.   

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2011, 01:51 am »
My favorite car! Ever!

I had a light gray 1972 2002 for over a year before I got rear ended and the frame was bent. People loved the round tail lights.

Mine also came with the Weber 4 barrel carb.

Enjoy, Dennis! You deserve it!

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2011, 02:32 am »
Thanks.  It's actually not that great a car by modern standards. Noisy, slow, rust-prone. But when I bought it in January of 1973, the competition was a fully loaded Chevy Vega for $2700.  I paid $3850 for the Bimmer and was the butt of much derision from Vega owners.  Two years later, their front fenders were rusted out and the engines warped beyond repair.   It took 6 years form my fenders to go, and the engine made it for another 20.  Probably worth the $1850 premium, and I don't see too many restored Vegas on the road. 

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2011, 02:23 pm »
Dang, that dog grew up fast! loll He still has the same pose

floresjc

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2011, 10:25 pm »
That car is 9 years older than me!

I'm not a gearhead, so I don't restore vehicles etc, but I do like to buy tools. I'm on my 2nd house now and it seems you can never have enough wrenches or screwdrivers or sockets to maintain the place and all the associated small engine equipment.

Dave G

« Reply #11 on: 4 Apr 2011, 11:19 pm »
I'm not a gearhead, so I don't restore vehicles etc, but I do like to buy tools.

Man, you're in denial!  Tools ARE gear.   :lol:

Dave

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2011, 06:16 pm »
I purchased a BMW 535i in 1991 and liked driving it so much, I replaced it with a 540i in 1994.  I thought I was insane spending that much money on an automobile.  Well, actually I was, but I really wanted one so I indulged myself.  In the long run, it turned out to be a good investment.  We are still driving that 540 today, making it the lowest lifetime cost vehicle we have ever owned. 

It is showing a little rust here and there, but it still doesn't have any rattles and still takes off when you stomp the throttle at 80 MPH.  I never drove it faster than 130MPH, although I was told the on-board computer won't cut you off until you hit 152 MPH. 

It will soon be time to replace it as the radio no longer works and Mary likes listening while driving.  I doubt it will be another 540 this time around.  We just don't feel the need for speed these days. Of course, you never know, I just might try fixing that radio...

- Jim

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: 5 Apr 2011, 06:49 pm »
Nice Dennis, more or less spitting image of my old '73. Different wheels, and mine was a little flatter (not quite so nose high). I don't remember it being particularly slow. I do remember doing 107+/- mph, with ski rack (2 pr skiis), and a passenger. My '69 was faster, used it for gymkhanas. Sold it due to lack of funds for restoration. Traded the '73 after replacing the clutch, press plate, and forgetting the pilot bearing.   :duh:  Couldn't deal with the whine.

Still have the then new '83 Subie wagon I traded it in on though. Easier for hauling 2 dogs. I'd buy another today if I could find one that hadn't been nose punched. Thanks for the memories. And yes - round taillights rule !  8)

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2011, 07:10 pm »
I think the bimmer is just trying to imitate the retriever's nose-up attitude.  This is my second engine, and it's a little faster than the first.  Of course, the first was even slower until the primitive pollution gear, uh, fell off. 

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #15 on: 5 Apr 2011, 07:12 pm »
I purchased a BMW 535i in 1991 and liked driving it so much, I replaced it with a 540i in 1994.  I thought I was insane spending that much money on an automobile.  Well, actually I was, but I really wanted one so I indulged myself.  In the long run, it turned out to be a good investment.  We are still driving that 540 today, making it the lowest lifetime cost vehicle we have ever owned. 

It is showing a little rust here and there, but it still doesn't have any rattles and still takes off when you stomp the throttle at 80 MPH.  I never drove it faster than 130MPH, although I was told the on-board computer won't cut you off until you hit 152 MPH. 

It will soon be time to replace it as the radio no longer works and Mary likes listening while driving.  I doubt it will be another 540 this time around.  We just don't feel the need for speed these days. Of course, you never know, I just might try fixing that radio...

- Jim

Fix the freakin' radio.  Or order one from Crutchfield.  Besides, you need a few days off. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 5 Apr 2011, 07:23 pm »
I think the bimmer is just trying to imitate the retriever's nose-up attitude. 

That makes sense. And Ben is looking mighty fine btw.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #17 on: 6 Apr 2011, 04:58 am »
Here is mine.  2011 STi Limited (Stage 2 @ 365bhp, fully-modified suspension)