Downsizing from VR-4 Gen III HSE - need recommendations

swadhwani

Sadly, we are moving to a smaller home and my beloved VR-4 Gen III HSE's are too big.  So I need to (unfortunately) look for in wall/on wall speakers.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  My system is:
North Star 192 Transport
North Star 192 DAC
PSE HL-1 hybrid line stage pre-amp
Bryston 7B SST Monoblocks (which might be excessive for in wall/on wall speakers).

Thanks!
Sanjiv

BigSwede

Re: Downsizing from VR-4 Gen III HSE - need recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2011, 07:22 pm »
VR-33s are designed to be near the wall...

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2011, 04:50 am »
Unifield 2s perhaps?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2011, 05:10 am »
How small of a room are we talking about here Sanjiv? I've heard these loudspeakers in what I would consider to be a very small room in a nearfield setting and I didn't hear any issues with their size. I would recommend you PM mfsoa (Mike) and get a different prespective. You can see Mike's room here.   :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

JackD201

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2011, 07:42 am »
Mike's got 4 Jrs Robin. The HSEs are much larger. Twin 9"ers per side vs the Jr's twin 6.5"ers. They also like lots of space behind and to the side. I agree though, the Jrs play very well in both smallish and large rooms. Too bad they've been discontinued. Then again, Sanjiv could buy Mike's Jrs and Mike could get the VR-33s he's been eyeing.  :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2011, 08:03 am »
Mike's got 4 Jrs Robin. The HSEs are much larger. Twin 9"ers per side vs the Jr's twin 6.5"ers. They also like lots of space behind and to the side. I agree though, the Jrs play very well in both smallish and large rooms. Too bad they've been discontinued. Then again, Sanjiv could buy Mike's Jrs and Mike could get the VR-33s he's been eyeing.  :thumb:

Ahh, I stand corrected, thanks.  :thumb:  I'm not versed to all the varieties of the different models and their variations so the VR-4 dsignation threw me. Looks like I failed at being helpful but hey, I tried.  :oops:

Cheers,
Robin

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2011, 08:17 am »
Don't fret Robin, there have been so may iterations over the years it really can get confusing if there aren't any pics provided.   :)