Not to beat a dead horse, but....

WEEZ

Not to beat a dead horse, but....
« on: 29 Mar 2004, 03:38 am »
Hello again, y'all-

This may seem too involved, or too long, so I apologize in advance-

I am the pesky guy who keeps asking questions about "compatability" regarding input/output impedence; using tubes along with solid state; and that god-awful subject of cables and wires :sleep: - maybe boring for some, but important to me- because I'm trying to build a new system and I want it to work at it's best.

I already have the speakers (8 ohm 87db/1w/meter); and a decent analog front-end (turntable/arm/cartridge)- so now I'm looking for good amplification and digital 'front' end stuff.

I am leaning in the direction of using the T5R pre-amp for several reasons including:

1) low output impedence so as to be reasonably compatable with solid-state amps and/or maybe even a tube amp :?: ;

2) the optional buffered tape outputs so I can have fun with my old tape deck as well as a digital recorder to archive some of my old lp's & tapes;

3) the "softer" sound of tubes because I'm an old fart and fondly remember the great sound that even the old tube designs of the past used to provide before I gave in to the solid state "revolution" of the late 60's and early 70's. :|

So after that diatribe- I'll try to get to my question for Frank, or Larry, or whomever might want to chime in here...

My questions and concerns about impedences were answered- thank you very much :!:

I must bring up the cable question again... :evil: ...

I understand that a low capacitance interconnect is a good thing from a source or a preamp.  :D - but as I stated on another thread- I have read in many places that inductance is the key thing from an amp to a speaker. ( Even read this from an amplifier manufacturers' site).

In the example I stated on another thread- I thought that 347pf/ft capacitance seemed high- but the inductance of .037uh seemed extreemly low. So I ask this question again- What is an acceptable set of parameters with cables that I- or anybody who cares- should be looking for with cables?

I repeat, that I am not a proponent of "magic'" or "gonzo" wires. I only want to know what to look for so I don't end up with something that screws up the signal- or "harms" the equipment-or both.

Maybe someone could comment on RC networks (Zobels) too- because what I have read makes my puny little head spin :roll:

Sorry this was so long.....

WEEZ