A Tale of Three Amps

earlmarc

A Tale of Three Amps
« on: 29 Mar 2004, 02:12 am »
I have spent a great deal of time over the last year searching for amplifiers for my HT and 2CH systems. I have settled with three different amplifiers.

First up is the IRD-Audio MB-100 mono blocks. When I purchased these amps they were $499 a pair. I have enjoyed these amps alot considering their price/performance. They offer above average performance especially when mated with a inexpensive preamp or HT receiver. They are hard to beat and compete well with other amps up to $1000. And at the time of purchase there wasn't any amp that could touch them at their price. These amps work better with speakers that are 8ohm and 89db and above and mate well with monitor speakers. On my Maggies, they can't hang. But with my Energy Connoisseur C-5's and C-3's, they work quite nicely. They seem to prefer two-way speaker designs over three and above. I would describe the MB-100 as a good solid-state amp with very few faults. They however are not refined enough to be considered high-end. I would classify them as good mid hifi amps. I recommend them for starter sytems with HT and 2CH. I use the MB-100s for the rear amplification for my HT system.

Second up, is the Odyssey Audio Khartago amplifier. At $750 and $212 more than the MB-100, the Khartago is real hifi at a steal. In fact, the Khartago is a leap above the MB-100 in performance. Certaintly worth the extra $212. The Khartago possess a thereness that the MB-100 lack. A refinement that opens and invites you in to the musical happenings. The MB-100's places you front stage and plays well but never invites you in. Piano and quitar sounds as well as voices lack realism when compared to the Khartago. The Khartago has a smooth control that is more sophisticated than the MB-100. The Khartago is more powerful and displays its power with dynamics, a greater soundstage, and bass. The Khartago works wonders with the Energy Connoisseur speakers and does a respectable job with the Maggie MG1.6QR speakers. Khartago gets a high recommendation and is only challenged by the Carver ZR-1600/1000 at its price point. I use the Khartagos for the front three channels of my HT system.

The last amp is the Carver ZR-1600. This amp is being sold for approximatedly $800 from most dealers. Its the more powerful amp among the others mentioned. And its certainly an amp that belongs in the hifi realm of amplifiers. Is not perfect stock and in some areas the Khartago may be better, but in most areas I feel that the ZR-1600 edges the Khartago. To be quite honest I prefer the Khartago smooth nature over the reactive nature of the ZR-1600 with certain speakers. I prefer the Khartago with the Energy Connoisseur speakers. I prefer the ZR-1600 with the Maggies. Let me expalin. The Carver ZR-1600 is a fast and powerful amplifier with a excellent midrage and bass. It has the ability to start and stop quickly between transients so much so it startles you. Its midrange is open and airy and its bass is tight and punchy. Dynamics are a thrilling ride. The Khartago possesses these abilities without the snap. Its not as exciting an amplifier in this regard. Where the Khartago surpasses the Carver is in the treble region. The Carver is somewhat artifical in the highs and a bit too expressive. The Khartago is clean up top and warm with a natural presentation. The Carver works beautifully with the Maggies. They do a much better job with the Maggies than Khartago. Each of these amps deserve a very high recommendation from me. You can not go wrong with either. The ZR-1600 has a certain synergy with ribbon and electrostatic speakers. The Khartago probably would have better synergy with cone speakers. My ZR-1600 is currently being modified by Empirical Audio for my 2CH system.

I believe these three amplifiers represent great values at the respective prices and thus will be hard to beat.

WEEZ

A Tale of Three Amps
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2004, 03:54 am »
Interesting comparison- thanks :)

JCC

Carver ZR
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2004, 10:35 pm »
Interestingly enough the Carver ZR line also works great with cone speakers. If you like a clinical sound, the Carver is not for you. If you want lively, and musical and dynamic get the Carver. Some modification smooths out the roughness, but it is still lively and never clinical.

Like real music.