Unconventional Cornet

SHIF

Unconventional Cornet
« on: 29 Mar 2004, 01:39 am »
Here is a photo showing my unusual Cornet:

The concept behind this design is to build a low-profile component having no exposed tubes.  The enclosure is 8" X 14" X 3.7" and sits on short elastomer feet.  The lid is CNC machined from one inch thick aluminum tooling plate, and it simply lifts off for tube rolling.  The base is machined from an 8 inch wide, thin wall channel extrusion.  The front is aluminum and has a tiny blue LED mounted in the center powered off the filament circuit.  The rear panel is machined from black Delrin to isolate the RCA jacks.

I used a Corcom power entry module to facilitate the IEC cord, power switch, fuse holder and also line filtering all in one device.  The switch is on the left hand side near the front.  My custom audio rack has open sides so access to the Cornet is very easy.  

-S
« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2006, 05:45 pm by SHIF »

Mikey

Unconventional Cornet
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2004, 03:16 pm »
NICE!

Are you using SolidWorks?

What is the part number for the power entry module you chose?

Mike

JoshK

Unconventional Cornet
« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2004, 03:38 pm »
To use a youthful vernacular, I think that look sick! (And that is a good thing!)  Very nicely done.

SHIF

Unconventional Cornet
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2004, 09:48 pm »
Mikey,

Yes I used SolidWorks to create this design.  Many of the internal parts are also in the model.  One design requirement was to use surplus and scrap materials from my shop. I have alternative designs based on Rose+Bopla cast aluminum industrial enclosures, but I chose this design since it has more volume inside for possible boutique caps etc.

The Corcom module is 5EFM1S (Digikey page 709, CCM1021-ND)
The on-delay timer relay (although not really necessary) is from IDEC, series GT5.

Regarding hum... "dead silent" might be a slight exaggeration, it's all relative. The unit has a minor hum that is only heard when my amp is cranked way up beyond normal.  Record surface noise is significantly more noticable.

GRD

Unconventional Cornet
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2004, 10:46 pm »
Outstanding work and very clever design.  Thanks for posting.

Mikey

Unconventional Cornet
« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2004, 03:35 pm »
Hey SHIF,

Can you contact me via private e-mail?
I've got some SolidWorks related questions for ya'...

You can reach me at:

mike@(nospam)protedyne.com

Remove the (nospam) from my address.

Thanks,

Mike