RCA Living Stereo Releases

Sam-fi

RCA Living Stereo Releases
« on: 27 Mar 2011, 07:43 pm »
Having recently come to own a cdp with sacd capability I have started searching for hybrid sacd releases. One such collection is the RCA Living stereo collection. I am wondering what are the recommended titles from this collection.

Is there a box set of the sacd releases? Is there one planned?

Thanks,
Sam

Ericus Rex

Re: RCA Living Stereo Releases
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2011, 08:57 pm »
I asked the same question a few months back about the SACD box.  Never got an answer.  I guess RCA/Sony is just releasing a few at a time.  At this rate, it would take quite a while for the 60 cd box to be released in SACD.

I have a few of them already and they sound pretty good.  Generally speaking, the handful I have all have about the same quality of sonics.  I think all these were recorded with just two mics above the orchestra.  So that's a limitation compared to more modern stereo mic-ing techniques.  But I am happy with the sonics in general.  Just keep in mind this were recorded decades ago.

Sam-fi

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2011, 09:05 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=br_lf_m_1000117401_pglink_next?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000117401&plpage=2

It looks as if 53 have been released. If they just put in the work maybe a year then they could have the whole set. Really, they are only 6 short as the box has 1 promo cd. I just totaled my shopping cart and it is < $300 bucks for the 31 "must have" titles that I wanted to get. For half the price I could get the box of all 59 on Redbook.

I am wondering if the SACD is worth the cost in this case.

Sam

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2011, 12:45 am »
If they only have 6 more to go I'd wait for the inevitable 60 cd box set.  I've been waiting for the box myself.

Tubo

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2011, 02:11 am »
I think all these were recorded with just two mics above the orchestra.  So that's a limitation compared to more modern stereo mic-ing techniques.

Actually, many of these were originally recorded as 3-channel. Don't know how many mics used, however. If you have a home theater with a center channel and a multichannel receiver or multichannel pre-pro, playing these SACD's allows you to hear the three channels. I think the ones recorded in 3 channels are the best sounding ones.

Sam-fi

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2011, 07:00 pm »
Wow, thank you for that. That sounds like a definite improvement over the red book.

Any idea of when those last remasters may appear? I heard somewhere they are discontinuing the living stereo collection. I'd like all of those recordings without the large upfront cost.

Thanks,
Sam

Mike Nomad

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:26 pm »
Actually, many of these were originally recorded as 3-channel. Don't know how many mics used, however. If you have a home theater with a center channel and a multichannel receiver or multichannel pre-pro, playing these SACD's allows you to hear the three channels. I think the ones recorded in 3 channels are the best sounding ones.

Some of the recordings are 2-channel (using 2 mics), others are 3-channel (using 3 mics). On the 3-channel recordings, you will get the best experience by using three identical speakers across the front. They sound fantastic. The 2-channel masters have the 3rd/center channel information included in both the left and right channels.

@Sam. I wasn't aware these were going away. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to go over the list and make sure I don't miss any I want. As for price, I don't think they are that bad now. They're all mid-line (USD$12).

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:06 am »
I have maybe ten or so of the Living Stereo SACDs in 3 channel.  I agree they sound terrific!  And the performances are masterpieces! :thumb:

Sam-fi

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:55 pm »
@Sam. I wasn't aware these were going away. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to go over the list and make sure I don't miss any I want. As for price, I don't think they are that bad now. They're all mid-line (USD$12).

You know I am probably not the most reliable source for this information. I heard it mentioned somewhere here on this forum. It would seem silly for them to become discontinued. If you add up all 53 titles at $12 usd - it becomes an arm and a leg for me. It would be nicer if we could get them in a box for around $300. I may just get the RB box for $150 and be done with it. And be sad when they release a SACD box later.  :duh:

I suppose waiting a little longer wont hurt. I just wish there were some information on this.

Sam

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2011, 07:58 pm »
I got on the Sony music website a while back to ask when/if they planned on releasing the 60 SACD box.  But I got overwhelmed by the website and never figured out who to contact.  You may have better perseverance.  Let us know if you find out anything.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2011, 10:34 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2014, 08:14 pm by Mike Nomad »

Calypte

« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2011, 04:14 am »
I certainly haven't heard all of the Living Stereo SACDs, but I think some of the BSO recordings with Munch have exceptional sound.  One that immediately comes to mind is Schubert 9.  No repeats, but superb sound.

regnaD kciN

« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2011, 10:01 am »
You know I am probably not the most reliable source for this information. I heard it mentioned somewhere here on this forum. It would seem silly for them to become discontinued. If you add up all 53 titles at $12 usd - it becomes an arm and a leg for me. It would be nicer if we could get them in a box for around $300. I may just get the RB box for $150 and be done with it. And be sad when they release a SACD box later.  :duh:

I suppose waiting a little longer wont hurt. I just wish there were some information on this.

Although it seems, from the thread here, that some of you are coming to these SACDs relatively recently, the fact is that they were released a number of years ago; from around 2003 to 2006 or 2007.  No new releases have appeared for years.

When the "Living Stereo" reissue series (on CD) began, RCA was still a part of BMG, and I think BMG were the prime movers behind the whole idea.  As far as I know, when the SACD releases began, BMG still owned RCA, and I suspect the whole series was planned under their leadership.  When Sony bought out RCA from them...well, Sony has had a pretty odd attitude toward SACD all along, considering that they were the ones that developed it.  I think, after pushing it for a few years, they basically decided that it wasn't going anywhere, and washed their hands of it as thoroughly as possible.  You'll notice that Sony Music was one of the first labels to drop SACD altogether, even while other majors were still releasing in the format.  It's almost like they're embarrassed at its failure (relatively speaking) in the marketplace, and want everyone to forget it ever existed.  It didn't surprise me that, once Sony acquired RCA, Living Stereo SACDs started coming out in only a trickle (probably the titles that were already in the pipeline at the takeover) and quickly dried up altogether.

There's a secondary issue, as well, and that's the question of "re-branding."  BMG seemed quite content to keep "RCA" alive, at least as a name.  I'm not sure Sony feels the same.  I recall that, when they took over Columbia Records, all those classic "Columbia" releases suddenly became re-branded as "Sony" products, with the old name, logo, etc. virtually expunged (although I've noticed it reappear recently for "historical re-releases," along with original cover art and so on).  My sense is, though, that Sony intends such a release, much like the "Living Stereo" series, to be a one-off for nostalgia purposes, and that, eventually, those Living Stereo recordings that continue in print will join material from the Columbia vault as merely "Sony Classics."  Much the same has happened over at NBC Universal, with classic labels such as Decca/London, DGG, Philips, Argo, L'Oiseau-Lyre, Archiv and so on being folded into a generic "Universal Classics" label -- and, while we're on the subject of Universal, note how they gave even shorter shrift to the SACD releases of their acclaimed "Mercury Living Presence" reissue series than Sony did to RCA's -- only putting out twenty SACDs, and pulling them all out-of-print long ago.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2011, 01:40 pm »
~
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2014, 08:14 pm by Mike Nomad »