What if you like Thiel and Tubes?

nl12048

What if you like Thiel and Tubes?
« on: 25 Mar 2011, 09:55 pm »
Hi,

I am currently the proud owner of a set of Thiel cs2.4 speakers. Before this set I moved from Thiel cs1.6 to Avalon Eclipse. I want to upgrade and I am going to listen to Thiel 3.7.

What else would you recommend for auditioning, knowing that I like Thiel a lot? Is there a brand that sounds like Thiel, but even better? 2nd is fine

And how about tubes on Thiel? Anyone using pre- or power tubes?
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2011, 01:51 pm by nl12048 »

Scottdazzle

Re: What if you like Thiel?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2011, 10:58 pm »
I owned the Thiel 2, 2.3, and 2.4 in succession over a period of about 15 years. I switched to the VMPS RM30M 3 years ago and have never looked back.  They do everything that the 2.4s do and because of the midrange panels and ribon tweeter, they are faster and more delicate through most of the audio range.  They are also an easier load than the Thiels (requiring less power and less current).  They are also tuneable with tweeter and midrange controls.  The Thiel 2.4 is a very fine speaker; the VMPS RM30M is better.  Since you are considering the 3.7, you might want to consider the higher-level VMPS models. One last thing is that dollar for dollar VMPS speakers outperform Thiels imho.

YMMV,
Scott

nl12048

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2011, 06:51 am »
Thanks. I live in the Netherlands, VMPS is pretty unknown here, so I ll check it out

nl12048

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:12 pm »
Other suggestions so far:

PMC Fact 8
A.D.A.M. Column

borism

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2011, 09:47 pm »
Hi,
I had a number of Thiel speakers: 1.2 then 2.2 and most recently 2.4. About 6 months ago I switched to Audiokinesis (a sponsor of AC) Jazz Modules. They are hand made by a small manufacturer in Idaho - Duke LeJeune - and, unfortunately, difficult to audition. He exhibits usually at RMAF in the Fall. The main advantages for me are higher sensitivity (92) and a more benign impedance curve so you can use tube amplification more easily. In addition, I find them more dynamic. I am not missing my Thiels even though I loved them when they were in my system.
Good luck,
Boris

pehare

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:13 pm »
I owned 2.4's w/Pass X250 amp & moved onto Coincident Partial Eclipse II's combined w/tubes for the last 6 years.  Much more satisfying & unlike the ultra-revealing (fatuguing, IMO) Thiels I can listen to all of my CD collection now.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2011, 03:55 pm »
I love Thiels (3.7s in the main system).  They are the poster children for revealing the strengths or weaknesses of everything in the chain and are not the easiest load in the world.  I'd consider looking at Magnepan too.  I really liked the new (Maggie) 1.7s.  Can't wait to hear the 3.7s

nl12048

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2011, 08:27 pm »
Appointment to listen to 2.4 on tubes and 3.7 on both tubes an Bryston 4bsst2 on Tuesday

Looking forward to it. Maybe listen to PMC Fact 8 as well, while I am there

nl12048

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2011, 01:06 pm »
I auditioned both 2.4 and 3.7 earlier this week. Electronics used were a bryston 4bsst2 and an Ayon cd player with pre-amp section. I preferred the 3.7 although the price difference makes the 2.4 an excellent speaker. After the Bryston, we switched to an Ayon Spirit integrated tube amp. I preferred the tubes over the Bryston setup. Anyone else using tubes on Thiel?

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2011, 01:13 pm »
I auditioned both 2.4 and 3.7 earlier this week. Electronics used were a bryston 4bsst2 and an Ayon cd player with pre-amp section. I preferred the 3.7 although the price difference makes the 2.4 an excellent speaker. After the Bryston, we switched to an Ayon Spirit integrated tube amp. I preferred the tubes over the Bryston setup. Anyone else using tubes on Thiel?

I use a Bryston 14BSST for the amp but a tube preamp - Modwright 36.5DM

2gumby2

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2011, 01:29 pm »
The 3.7s are some of the best speakers I've ever heard. If you like the 3.7 I would also recommend the Vienna Acoustics Mahler speaker. It is also very nice and I thought the character of the speaker was similar to the 3.7.

nl12048

Re: What if you like Thiel and Tubes?
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2011, 08:50 pm »
Any thoughts on Tyler acoustics compared to Thiel?

richidoo

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2011, 09:25 pm »
Marten or something with Accuton drivers and low order crossover filters. I don't think Tyler is in the same league of engineering and innovation as Thiel. They do sound very good, but probably not as hyper resolving as you want.

I heard 3.7s with VTL Signature 400 amps and 6.5 preamp (all tubes) at RMAF a few years ago. It was too much information for me,  but if you like transient attack and ultra detail, it might be right up your alley. I bet Pass class A amplifiers would be a nice match with the 3.7s, or anything else...  :icon_lol:

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jun 2011, 09:53 pm »
I actually have a Modwright KWA150SE (in place of the Bryston) now (not quite a whole week) along with the Modwright LS36.5DM on the 3.7s.  So far, I'm definitely liking it better and it looks like I'm going to be selling a 14BSST.

vhiner

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2011, 01:23 am »
I use the 3.7's with a Conrad-Johnson CT5 tube preamp and a Classe' 2200 amp. I've steered away from a tube amp 'cause I figured I'd lose the bottom end grip of the Classe (400 watts into 4 ohms..first 30 percent pure Class A). But I'm interested in Phil's Modwright choice. If I may be so bold, I'd like to suggest you try Shunyata Research's new Python Speaker cables...nothing has improved my beloved Thiel sound more than these cables. Well worth the price of admission.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jun 2011, 02:25 am »
I use the 3.7's with a Conrad-Johnson CT5 tube preamp and a Classe' 2200 amp. I've steered away from a tube amp 'cause I figured I'd lose the bottom end grip of the Classe (400 watts into 4 ohms..first 30 percent pure Class A). But I'm interested in Phil's Modwright choice. If I may be so bold, I'd like to suggest you try Shunyata Research's new Python Speaker cables...nothing has improved my beloved Thiel sound more than these cables. Well worth the price of admission.

I actually make much of my own stuff but recently I changed the speaker cables and balanced cables (amp to preamp and DAC to preamp) to WyWires.  Added a bit more refinement and relaxed sound. 

vhiner

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2011, 04:26 am »
Phil,

How is the Modwright better than the very fine 14 BSST? Can you describe the difference? Do you not miss the power?

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jun 2011, 12:08 pm »
Phil,

How is the Modwright better than the very fine 14 BSST? Can you describe the difference? Do you not miss the power?

The midrange is smoother and the presentation more relaxed.  I'd say the Bryston images just about as well as well and also sounded good with the LS36.5DM preamp (the Inner Ear has a review of the single box Modwright preamp using a 14BSST).  With the Modwright it feels cleaner and you can hear nuances better.  As far as the power goes, I started with Thiel 7.2s which are course are harder to drive and not as efficient as the 3.7s. The system is part of a HT and the room is extremely large (about 16x20 with a 19 foot ceiling and opens to other large spaces).  When I had the 7.2s I first bought a lightly used 6BSST which I still use for the center and rears.  With the 3.7s probably 4db more efficient than the 7.2s, I don't think I need the power of the 14BSST.  So far, I've just listened to music (probably several CDs and an SACD or two) and set-up the speaker levels with my Integra DTC 9.8 pre/pro.  I watched just a few minutes of "True Grit" so I have not gone through a demanding movie.  I picked up the amp at Fedex last Tuesday night so I have not had tons of time with it.  The Modwright so far seems to run a hair cooler than the 14BSST (it is the 15 amp version).

At one point many moons ago I had a Bryston 4BST on the 7.2s and I believe it was 400W into 4 ohms and that was probably what I would term the least amount of power I could get away with.  A couple of times with a demanding piece of music or a demanding movie sound track the 4BSST went into momentary clipping for probably a split second.  So given the efficiency difference between the 3.7s and 7.2s, I am not sure power will be an issue.  I also have secondary basement and bedroom systems and I try to use those too but it is more for movies or daytime TV as the 2-story main room is too bright for viewing during the day (windows all over high and low and from all directions).  While I do use the main system for movies too, I have also been upgrading the HT in the basement system.  I currently have an 8.1 system down there and probably the only upgrade I'll do in the near term is a new projector.  The one I have is a bit over 3 years old and I did not go real high end as I was not sure how much use it will see.  It's not a rush as it's fine for what I use it for.  I'll see what is out at CEDIA in September this year or next.