OK, more advice, please?

Minn Mark

OK, more advice, please?
« on: 24 Mar 2011, 12:48 pm »
I had posted earlier that I was looking at either a Michell GyroDec SE/Tecnoarm vs. SOTA Sapphire/Origin Live to replace my current 1993 SOTA Comet. After speaking to Galen Carol (Galen Carol Audio) I am now seriously considering a VPI Classic. I will use whatever I purchase with my current Sumiko Blackbird/AVA Insight/Magnaplanar 3.6.

So---those Classic owners out there:

Are you happy with your purchase? 

Would you buy VPI Classic again? 

What's your preference for interconnect cables?

Anything else I should know about the VPI Classics?

PS- I found Galen very professional and helpful. Any comments on your interactions with Galen Carol Audio?

Thanks,

Mark

TheChairGuy

Re: OK, more advice, please?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2011, 01:21 pm »
Classic owner here....got one of the 50 first ones from VPI :thumb:

Generally speaking, I prefer well-sorted direct drive decks...but, THIS belt drive deck is so well sorted, so involving, so expansive in sonics that I don't regret my decision at all.

For $2750.00 of today, it's a pretty hard put to find anything comparable to it.  Speed/pitch, even without $1200 outboard SDS speed controller, is just barely off from direct drive decks (as heard with piano).  I get no sense of wavering/quivering/flutter as I do with many belt drive decks...and the tracking with the 10.5" arm is stellar (also hearing benefit with on piano)

It's a pretty tough entry to beat in today's (often sorry and overpriced) market for turntables under USD$3000 today.

For interconnect cables, use well shielded.  I generally prefer unshielded cables (they sound cleaner and whatever noise is added is made up for in natural, unrestrained sonics) for line level components, but phono needs shielded or generous amounts of noise/hum travel thru.  I use a $69.95 length of Monster Cable and it's just fine. 

John

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:40 pm »
replace my current 1993 SOTA Comet
Mark

Keep them both! Always good to have more than one TT.

Paul

95Dyna

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2011, 02:20 pm »
Hi Mark,

I not only have the Classic but I bought it from Galen Carol.  He's a great guy, very service and support oriented.  I also bought my Bryston 7B SST2's, BP26, Torus CS15, Benz Micro Wood SL, VPI 16.5 and Magnum Dynalab SP2 from him.

I love the Classic, mine is black keeping with my silver amp/black sources color scheme.  Between the table, Benz and the 16.5 I'm having the time of my life cleaning all my old records and marvelling at how good they sound.  Huge soundstages, excellent imaging and that unmistakable realism that vinyl provides.  BTW, I'm using the Ray Samuels F117 Nighthawk phono pre that has been discussed at length on this circle and after a very long break in period it is coming into its own.  I use the VPI shielded tonearm cable which is made by Nordost and WireWorld Silver Eclipse 6 from the Nighthawk to the BP26.  Another thing about the Classic is it is a tank weighing in at about 65 lbs. with platter.  It is its own isolation device.  As Harry Weisfeld says, just put it anywhere that doesn't sway in the wind on a 2" maple shelf and there will be no measurable resonnance.

BTW, I think he has some in stock at the old price, $2,500.00.  He ordered a bunch before the price went up last year which is when I ordered mine.  Scroll down the page to the analog section for details:

http://www.gcaudio.com/products/steals.html

Regards,

Bill
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2011, 05:06 pm by 95Dyna »

Minn Mark

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2011, 05:34 pm »
Hi Chair Guy and Bill,
Thanks for the responses. Just off the phone with Galen; I will send him my Sumiko Blackbird and he will be shipping my set-up walnut Classic to me soon. THANKS a bunch for your feedback; it really helped me make this decision. Its a lot of $$ for me, but I'm pretty sure this will be a final purchase. Looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Mark

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2011, 02:28 pm »
So you're keeping the Sota?

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2011, 03:04 pm »
Mark, someone is lusting over your left-overs  :D

Wayner  8)

orthobiz

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2011, 04:26 pm »
Mark, someone is lusting over your left-overs  :D

Wayner  8)

I only have 7 TT's in the house right now and only 4 of the mine. I gotta get a couple more to get to the Wayner Level. But actually, I'm not in the market for a Sota, just curious. I've been "monogamous," as ToneAudio would say, with my Linn Sondek so it's interesting when someone has a piece of audio equipment forever and does a switch.

Paul

95Dyna

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2011, 04:49 pm »
Hi Chair Guy and Bill,
Thanks for the responses. Just off the phone with Galen; I will send him my Sumiko Blackbird and he will be shipping my set-up walnut Classic to me soon. THANKS a bunch for your feedback; it really helped me make this decision. Its a lot of $$ for me, but I'm pretty sure this will be a final purchase. Looking forward to it.

Thanks again,

Mark

Glad I could be of help to you in your decision.  I think you are going to be pleased with both Galen and the Classic.  BTW, Galen has my address.  Tell him I'll be looking for my commission check and he needn't worry, I'll spend it with him. :thumb:

Minn Mark

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2011, 12:46 pm »
Thanks all,
With the Classic, I will have four (the SOTA-which I'll keep for at least a while longer) a Pro-ject Debut III set-up for 33/78, and a Technics SL-D3, so I too, am nowhere near Wayner-status. Thanks for the interest and I'll likely post any of the TTS here at the Audio Circle when its time to sell.

Mark

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2011, 06:59 pm »
9 is a pain in the ass to keep running. 2 have recently (last weekend) been put into totes and put away. When it gets a little warmer (if ever), the Technics SL-Q2 will go into the garage for summer play. The Empire is going to be retired as a piece of art (it still works well), as I think it just wants to rest, maybe played occasionally. The wife has the AT, so that leaves the 2 Sony'sm the Technics SL1200MKII and the VPI HW-19JR in the studio. That is how it's going to stay.

I may even put the Empire up for sale and do as you have done, Mark, and get one really good one. Then I will need advice.

Wayner  :lol:

TONEPUB

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2011, 07:08 pm »
The Classic is a good move, especially if you can snag one for $2500.  VPI owners are pretty loyal to the breed, so even if you don't like it, you will only lose a couple hundred bucks in the event you decide to sell....

And of course, I'm always for having more turntables, But even I've managed to pear it down to three in the main system  these days!

:)

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2011, 07:24 pm »
The Classic is a good move, especially if you can snag one for $2500.  VPI owners are pretty loyal to the breed, so even if you don't like it, you will only lose a couple hundred bucks in the event you decide to sell....

And of course, I'm always for having more turntables, But even I've managed to pear it down to three in the main system  these days!

:)

Anja Garbarek on Vinyl.. Nice!!

Minn Mark

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2011, 07:40 pm »
Nice racks for those tables, tonepub.   I'm also upgrading to a Salamander Synergy Triple 30 rack from Audio Advisor, so will have to publish some pics for you guys when I get everything moved, and up 'n running...

M

Ericus Rex

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2011, 07:47 pm »
Someone's an avid fan of Avid!

Very nice!  Which models are those?

Minn Mark

« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2011, 01:44 pm »
Update:

The VPI Classic arrived Monday (still in boxes), and am due for the rack to arrive today, so l will be setting up, etc over next couple of days. Will let the Circle know what I think of the Salamander Synergy rack and the Classic once it's up and running...I am adding casters to the rack as I need to move it periodically, but it rests on a concrete basement floor, so I'm not expecting any issues with isolation for the Classic.

More later,

Mark

Minn Mark

« Reply #16 on: 11 Apr 2011, 01:02 pm »
As promised, some (poor) pictures of the new set-up:

the new VPI Classic in Walnut. Galen Carol Audio mounted my Sumiko Blackbird at no extra charge. Unpacking and set-up was very easy.

the "media wall"

Equipment close-up: electronics by van Alstine (Insight DAC, pre-, and 440H amp), Hafler tuner, Teac Z-6000 cassette, SAE 5000, Rec-o-kut phono pre (33/78), Magnavox CD, SOTA COmet and Pro-ject Debut III. (SAE 2900 pre-amp (ret.). Magnaplanar 3.6R (not shown). Record Doctor vacuum cleaning machine on LP rack (Boltz). TTs sitting on Salamander Synergy Triple 30 in Walnut/Black.

The 'vintage' system Marantz 2250b, 5220, Technics SL-D3, Audio Dynamics CD, "Baby" Advent speakers (not xshown)

A big THANKS ! to Galen at Galen Carol Audio. The VPI sounds amazing; definitely a great purchase for me.

Cheers,

Mark

Ericus Rex

« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2011, 03:53 pm »
Beautiful table.  Congrats!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2011, 04:37 pm »
Mark,

The VPI Classic doesn't sound as terrific as it's going to, either  :)

The bearing needs wear-in time.  For the first ~ 100 hours the speed is a little off and the sonics are not up to par.

You have MUCH more to look forward to after your first 150 albums 8) The music takes on a much more solid presentation, more a copy of the 'master' tape as VPI says.

This table ain't no joke...VPI really outdid themselves in the well under $3000 category (in the US, at least; others outside the US pay a LOT more for the turntable and may have other substitutes that are as good value)

The rounded walnut corners of your model look more upscale than my earlier model (#50 produced)...niiiiice.

Enjoy ! John

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2011, 05:00 pm »
Very nice.

Wayner