Another successful Bugle build

cactusfriend

Another successful Bugle build
« on: 24 Mar 2011, 04:57 am »
Improvised parts - worked on first try!

(Please don't make fun of the components; I just moved to Silicon Valley and was trying to see how many I could source myself locally)

One quick question:  I really love the sound of the OPA2227P/PA in some of my other projects.  Any reason why I couldn't use that to replace the third/buffer OPA2134PA?

Thanks for such a solid great-sounding kit!

reuben

Re: Another successful Bugle build
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2011, 02:47 pm »
You most certainly could use the OPA2227 there. The circuit even has enough gain to try an OPA2228.

My bugle is stuffed with OPA2228 in first position, and then two 2134's. There is noticeably less noise that way.

I like your use of ferrite beads on the power leads. Do they make a change that you can hear or measure?

Regards,
Tom

cactusfriend

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2011, 05:14 pm »
Ah, thanks for reminding me that U3 is actually at the top!  For some reason, I had the notion that the bottom socket was for U3.

In terms of the ferrite beads, on one hand I just like to have any length of wires 'protected' like that, even if it is a superstition.  On the other hand, the battery holders that I purchased wouldn't mount on the board (leads were too wide, and polarity was reversed), so I had to talk myself into these power leads/plugs being 'better' somehow.

I don't have any comparison without the ferrite, but the noise floor is incredibly low, and when I listen to my favorite albums with headphones, I'm catching a lot of details that I never noticed listening on an iPod or even the record on other systems  :thumb:

Aerobat

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2011, 06:07 pm »
Nice!