VR33 integrated amp

vr8

VR33 integrated amp
« on: 22 Mar 2011, 05:06 am »
Any thoughts on a good integrated tube amp for vr33s.

Delacroix

Re: VR33 integrated amp
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2011, 11:58 am »
I reviewed the Audio Space Ref 3.1 integrated a couple of years back for Affordable Audio and it was fantastic with my VR5SEs, so I am guessing it would work well with the 33s. That little amp is seriously good!

pardales

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2011, 12:31 pm »
Not tube, but I will be trying the Dayens Ampino when my 33's arrive.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm »
The Von Schweikert VR-33 Vortex and the Jolida JD 1000RC Integrated Amplifier - East Meets West... Coast, that is.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue50/vonschweikert_jolida.htm

I owned this integrated amp.. Very nice for the price.

varsharun

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2011, 12:48 am »
The Primaluna Dialogue 2 is just amazing. I have been using it with my Unifield 3s for couple years now and haven't felt the need to upgrade to separates.

-Arun

Any thoughts on a good integrated tube amp for vr33s.

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2011, 12:26 pm »
 I've been a tube guy for a number of years and recently went to class D SS purely out of convenience.  Even took out the tube preamp completely as well. Now running a 250 WPC W4S ST-500 directly to a Benchmark DAC1. CDs and streaming only and I'm very, very satisfied. Odd how my listening taste in component sound can accept this so readily. It took no time at all to adjust to this setup.  Now I don't worry about tube noise, which one is going bad, warm up time, whether I should try different tubes for a different sound - or burning myself :o.

Had a group over last week where we mixed and matched components and cables. Seems the one we spent the most time with was the WFS direct into a Havana tube DAC.  This is one you might consider if you just run CDs or streaming.

By the way, my current setup replaced a Balanced Audio VK-60 mono amps to a Audible Illusions Modulus 3a pre and sounded wonderful!  Certainly no slouch system.  New that would have been just under 13K. (I didn't buy any of it new.  Paid about 7k used.) This class D and SS DAC was 2K.  Got the DAC used and the amp as a demo at a very good price.

Just pointing out options, not being negative about tubes.  Good luck. I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever setup you decide on!

pardales

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2011, 01:58 am »
My 33's arrived today, are set-up, and making music. Let the acclimation begin.... :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:09 am »
I'd love to hear what these sound like on an OTL amp. Any Atma-sphere owners out there tried the combo?

kirch

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:01 pm »
My 33's arrived today, are set-up, and making music. Let the acclimation begin.... :thumb:

Looking forward to your impressions.  Mine keep getting better!

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:28 am »

Hey, I didn't know you pulled the trigger, congratulations man!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

pardales

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2011, 08:37 pm »
Hey, I didn't know you pulled the trigger, congratulations man!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Sure did. So far so good but I think I can tell I am at the beginning of the break-in process. I have the speakers about 10" from the front wall and about 10 feet apart. I am driving them with the Dayens Ampino fed from and HRT II+ which is connected to my iMac via Wireworld Silver Starlight USB cable. My room is 36x36 with a high arched ceiling -- a very unusual room.

Bass is impressive but I am patiently waiting for the mid and upper midrange to fill in. My previous speakers were Horn Shoppe Model 1's so this is quite a departure for me.

kirch

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2011, 08:49 pm »

Bass is impressive but I am patiently waiting for the mid and upper midrange to fill in.

Patience is paying off for me. Had mine a month now. You'll be very pleased!  You'll think the musicians are playing just for you in your own little venue!

On a side note, you guys also play basketball in that room?  36x36???  Holy crap Batman!

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2011, 11:00 pm »
Pardales,

Can't wait to hear your comparisons to the Horn Shoppes.

And great set up you have there. I really like the II+ and the Ampino gets rave reviews.

pardales

« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2011, 11:14 pm »
Pardales,

Can't wait to hear your comparisons to the Horn Shoppes.

And great set up you have there. I really like the II+ and the Ampino gets rave reviews.

Thanks. It is not going the be easy to compare to the Horns as they are such different speakers, but I will try. I like my set-up, it is pretty simple. This is certainly the closest to full-range I have ever had -- been a single driver speaker owner for 6 years prior to the 33's arriving.

vr8

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2011, 12:13 am »
My inquiry was for a friend. He is going with the  VR-33,  Jolida JD 1000RC combo.  Thanks for the help.

Gopher

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2012, 05:56 am »
My inquiry was for a friend. He is going with the  VR-33,  Jolida JD 1000RC combo.  Thanks for the help.

how did this pairing work out for him?  The review was interesting and I'm considering making an offer on the one on audiogon...

mca

« Reply #16 on: 1 Apr 2012, 06:40 pm »
I know this is an old thread, but I am now searching for an integrated for my VR33's. I'd like to buy used and be in at $2500 max. Here is what is on Audiogon that has peeked my interest:

Electrocompaniet ECI5
Wyred STI-500
Jolida JD 1000 RC
Ekco EV55SE

If anyone has heard any of these with the VR33 and can offer some comments, it would be appreciated. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 1 Apr 2012, 06:43 pm »
Haven't heard it with the VR33 (heck I haven't ever heard a VR33), but this ad here on AC keeps catching my eye:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104314.0

Gopher

« Reply #18 on: 1 Apr 2012, 07:10 pm »
Im using a Melody MK88 with very good results on my vr33s  its a beautiful and veesatile pairing that never fails to engage.

The Rogue Cronus Magnum is another very good one and is more visceral and dynsmically alive.  Equally engaging but a little less emotional.

Tomorrow im taking delivery of a Redgum RGi120 ENR which i expect to be very special with the 33s

mca

« Reply #19 on: 1 Apr 2012, 08:54 pm »
Gopher,

Does the Melody run out of steam easily with your speakers? Only reason I am searching for a new amp is my Audiomat Arpege Reference (EL34, 30wpc) sounds wonderful at low volumes, but runs out of steam when I start advancing the volume.

The Cronus Magnum looks like a nice amp for the money. Wonder how it compares to the Tempest III...