Songsub

CrazyBlue

Songsub
« on: 19 Mar 2011, 04:54 pm »
Hey all!

I'm a newb here at AC and first, let me say, "Great forum!" Tons of knowledge here.

Now on to the good stuff.

I've had the Songsub in my living room 2.1 system since Tuesday and I thought I'd offer my impressions so far, since user reviews of this gorgeous sub are a bit thin on the ground.

Not ready for a full review yet, but I level matched it and ran some test tones, lowered the gain a hair from my initial "by ear" setting, tweaked the high-pass/low-pass settings on my preamp a bit—settled on 55hz—and I can vouch for the Songsub's musicality. No one-note boom with the Salk.

It integrated easily into the system and keeps up with my LSA-1 Signatures with similar ease. I'm running the gain between 9:00 and 10:00 in a 1700 cu ft room that opens to two other rooms and a stairwell and pressurization is not a problem. The heatsink on the amp has yet to get much above room temperature, even after cranking an entire bass-heavy CD like Cowboy Junkies - One Soul Now to a measured 105 dB at my listening position, 12' from the speakers and sub.

I have the subsonic filter set at 20hz. Haven't tried the 16hz or 12hz settings. A 20hz tone rattled windows and registered 89dB (uncorrected RS meter) with the volume on my preamp set to a measured 72dB with pink noise.

Bass is as fast and articulate as the engineering of the recordings I've tested so far. Kick drums, bass guitar, upright and double bass, synth, all sound great, with no audible overhang. The Songsub plays what you feed it and nothing more or less.

I'm sitting in another room—open to the living room—as I type this, listening to Peter Malick and Norah Jones' "Strange Transmissions" and the kick drum has tactile punch, the bass guitar definition and authority, even in here.

I'm a music guy and am fairly certain that this sub wouldn't stand up to a sub like the SVS Ultra or Epik Conquest in a pure HT application. But it's got balls for sure. I'll see what it can do for movies in the next few days, but keep in mind that we're talking 85-95dB average volume levels at the listening position. This is my living room, not a dedicated theater. For music, I'd say that the Songsub is excellent and that's what I bought it for. Not that I have much experience with subs, mind you. But I've heard a few, some of them in the $3-4k range, and this sub can hold its head high in such company when it comes to music, in my humble opinion.

In the looks department, I'd put it at the top of the list.

Jim Salk offers some of the best customer service I've encountered in any industry. He shipped my sub sans grilles because they weren't ready and that was holding things up. He said it would ship last week and made sure that it did. He then shipped the grilles when they were finished, free of charge. And there's nothing like being able to talk to the owner of the company when you call. Got questions? Not super knowledgeable about speakers or audio in general? He's got answers and he offers them without audible eye-rolling or condescension of any kind. The man and his products are a class act. Kudos to Jim. I'll be purchasing more of his fine products in the future.

Shaun 

Kinger

Re: Songsub
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2011, 12:20 am »
Cool review Shaun.  Thanks for posting.  What are the dimensions of the Songsub?

CrazyBlue

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2011, 08:41 pm »
16"D X 15 3/4"W X 24 1/2"H with grilles on and 5/8" rubber feet on a hardwood floor.

DaveH

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2011, 10:46 pm »
CrazyBlue,
I enjoyed your review on the Song Sub. It would be great to see a fresh update from you since you had had a few more weeks to listen. Have you listened in a home theater envionment yet?

I have not found too many comments on the Song Sub.

We have SongTowers and a Song Center and use them for HT and 2 channel music. The Songs are amazing but I feel the need for more base extension in my accousticly "challenged" enviornment.

Thanks!
Dave

ratso

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2011, 08:31 pm »
i am kind of surprised that jim hasn't put a small sealed sub out there yet?

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2011, 08:44 pm »
i am kind of surprised that jim hasn't put a small sealed sub out there yet?

Actually we have.  We have done a few sealed subs used as stands for the Veracity HT1's.  And we have done a few others we haven't really talked about.  For that matter, we haven't really talked that much about most of the subs we've done over the years since most have been completely custom for a specific installation.

Right now, we are working on a small sub/small satellite system for a friend in Hawaii.  This will be a perfect little system for a bedroom or computer.  I don't know if we'll talk about it though as we can't really charge enough for a setup like that to cover out costs for building it.  Its a fun little project though.

- Jim

CrazyBlue

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2011, 06:23 pm »
Still love the Songsub.  I added an Antimode 8033 to the system and it smoothed room response very well.  Great little EQ for the money and so simple to set up even I was able to do it. 

When funds permit I plan to order another Songsub for this system.  Placement is an issue for duals, and I'm considering using the subs as stands when I purchase another.  The height of the sub is within 1/2" of the height of my DIY stands.  The other option would be on the sidewalls about 1/3 into the room.  But that would bring phase into the mix and make them more difficult to integrate.  It would also bring WAF farther into the mix, as one of my wife's end tables would have to go bye-bye.  On the plus side she already pointed to those locations and asked if I couldn't put "the speakers" there.  She never specified which speakers.   

We'll see.  One Songsub with the gain at 10:00 is more than adequate to fill my room with deep and articulate bass, and I mean tactile, as in, Thank God the windows are tight and don't rattle, and my wife isn't into shaky little knickknacks.  I'm crossing over at 52 Hz, so there is no localization issue as far as sound goes.  But when cranked up on certain tunes, it becomes noticeable that the impact or slam is radiating from the corner of the room.  Not a an issue most of the time, but you know how it is with this disease.  Also, a second will smooth room response even more, add even more punch for the occasional movie, and look cooler too.  Nothing like lots of big black drivers to put a smile on your face.

If you're considering a Songsub for your system, don't hesitate.  Buy one now.   

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2011, 06:41 pm »

Right now, we are working on a small sub/small satellite system for a friend in Hawaii.  This will be a perfect little system for a bedroom or computer.  I don't know if we'll talk about it though as we can't really charge enough for a setup like that to cover out costs for building it.  Its a fun little project though.

- Jim

I would really love to hear about this system!

If you don't want to post, I wouldn't mind a PM.

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2011, 06:58 pm »
Great review. :thumb:

Looking forward to reading more when you've got it settled in.

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2011, 08:35 pm »
Two Songsubs would be heavenly.  Do it! :D

CrazyBlue

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2011, 08:43 pm »

:D
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2011, 11:17 am by CrazyBlue »

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2011, 12:51 am »
Great review. :thumb:

Looking forward to reading more when you've got it settled in.

Just noticed the date on your original post and saw you already had updated...... :duh:.....I need some sleep.

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:06 pm »
I would really love to hear about this system!

Well, I was in need of some small computer monitors and ran across a nice little 4" driver with an aluminum cone and nice specs.  So I modeled the driver, built some cabinets and sent one to Dennis to have him take a look at baffle step compensation.  The speakers performed quite well on axis (which is fine when seated at my computer), although they only played down to just under 70Hz.  The measurements look real nice on axis, but fell a little on the top end when measured off axis.  So we found a little tweeter to go with them.

I'm using a 50W T Amp to drive them and they sound quite nice.

I had a friend from Hawaii who wanted a system for his bedroom.  So we built a small 10" subwoofer to go with a pair of these and it made for a very nice little combination. 

We never put them on the web site for one very simple reason.  When you consider all the labor involved in building and finishing the cabinets, the price you would have to charge would seem a little high for such small monitors.  And setting what would seem like a reasonable price would mean we would lose money on every pair we built.  So we thought we should just leave well-enough alone and build them only when they seem like the perfect speakers for a given application.

The nice thing about the pairs we have built to date is that we built them using scraps exotic veneers left over from other projects.  So the exotic veneer was basically free.   

- Jim

Marbles

« Reply #13 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:10 pm »
Thank you Jim.