Which comedy movie you like?

Bigfish

Re: Which comedy movie you like?
« Reply #40 on: 20 Mar 2011, 11:51 pm »
Blazing Saddles was made a long time ago but is probably the funniest movie I have ever seen.

Ken

jimdgoulding

« Reply #41 on: 21 Mar 2011, 12:03 am »
I'll just hail a couple from earlier posts- Holy Grail, Office Space, Young Frank- and nominate two British comedies from the 60's, The Wrong Box and Bedazzed.

mca

« Reply #42 on: 21 Mar 2011, 12:07 am »
Waking Ned Divine    :lol: :lol: :lol:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #43 on: 21 Mar 2011, 01:56 am »
Waking Ned Divine    :lol: :lol: :lol:

+1!    :thumb: A warm, loving, understated comedy.  Nice sound track, too

rpf

« Reply #44 on: 21 Mar 2011, 02:44 am »
+1 or whatever we're up to on The Producers (original of course), Young Frankenstein, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World, Dr. Strangelove, Raising Arizona, the Thin Man series, the Marx Brothers, and Buster Keaton.

Will add It Happened One Night, His Girl Friday, Ball of Fire, The King of Hearts, Hopscotch, Get Shorty and various by Preston Sturges and Billy Wilder (particularly Sullivan's Travels and The Lady Eve in the former case and Some Like It Hot for the latter).

At the top of my list would be A Fish Called Wanda, Arsenic and Old Lace, and My Man Godfrey.

Edit: I almost forgot the series of comedies Alec Guiness made in England in the early-mid fifties; all very drily funny but leavened with slapstick. The Captain's Paradise, The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man In The White Suit, and best of all, Kind Hearts and Coronets, wherein he plays eight roles - men and women both!
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2011, 02:32 am by rpf »

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #45 on: 21 Mar 2011, 02:51 am »
Clockwise starring John Cleese

jimdgoulding

« Reply #46 on: 21 Mar 2011, 03:55 am »
+1 or whatever we're up to on The Producers (original of course), Young Frankenstein, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World, Dr. Strangelove, Raising Arizona, the Thin Man series, the Marx Brothers, and Buster Keaton.

Will add It Happened One Night, His Girl Friday, Ball of Fire, The King of Hearts, Hopscotch, Get Shorty and various by Preston Sturges or Billy Wilder (particularly Sullivan's Travels and The Lady Eve in the former case and Some Like It Hot for the latter).

At the top of my list would be A Fish Called Wanda, Arsenic and Old Lace, and My Man Godfrey.

Edit: I almost forgot the series of comedies Alec Guiness made in England in the early-mid fifties; all very drily funny but leavened with slapstick. The Captain's Paradise, The Ladykillers, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Man In The White Suit, and best of all, Kind Hearts and Coronets, wherein he plays eight roles - men and women both!
My mom took me to all of the of the Alex Guiness movies you listed except The Captain's Paradise.  I believe there is one missing but I can't recall the name.  I was in short pants.

drphoto

« Reply #47 on: 21 Mar 2011, 05:06 am »
Anything Monty Python, the Christopher Guest (et al) stuff, (yeah, I know "Spinal Tap is a cult classic, but I like "Best in Show" etc better) and the early Coen Bros. like "Raising Arizona"

I still laugh everytime at that one, and I've seen is a dozen times or so. Maybe the best chase seen ever. I think Nick Cage should have stuck w/ comedy. I never liked him much as a 'leading man'.

This may sound like sacralidge, as I am a golf nut, but I didn't think "Caddyshack" was really all that funny. Amusing? Yes......but funny? There is a difference.

drphoto

« Reply #48 on: 21 Mar 2011, 05:17 am »
Ok, this thread made me think of something. Have you seen a TV show that lately that made you laugh outloud? I don't watch a lot of TV, but the only thing I could think of was a few episodes of "30 Rock". Really funny or really dull.

Hey, it's got to be the hardest job in the world to write funny for a weekly program.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #49 on: 21 Mar 2011, 08:54 am »

:thumb:
All great classics, and one that's as true today as the day it was made - Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. Another Cary Grant classic. If you are thinking of building a house check it out.

King of Hearts
had crossed my mind, but wasn't sure it was really a comedy. A satirical look at some universal social questions, with wry humor included, but guess it's in how you see/saw it. A great movie no matter how you categorize it.

As for TV comedy, it's been a while since it aired, but Red Dwarf was always a favorite Britcom.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #50 on: 21 Mar 2011, 08:49 pm »
I figured I'd add a few more (overlooked) favorites:

Repo Man
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Shallow Grave
Tampopo
The Last Supper (1995)

Mike Nomad

« Reply #51 on: 21 Mar 2011, 11:28 pm »
Ok, this thread made me think of something. Have you seen a TV show that lately that made you laugh outloud? I don't watch a lot of TV, but the only thing I could think of was a few episodes of "30 Rock". Really funny or really dull.

Hey, it's got to be the hardest job in the world to write funny for a weekly program.

Lately? The Daily Show & Saturday Night Live.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #52 on: 21 Mar 2011, 11:47 pm »
Anything Monty Python, the Christopher Guest (et al) stuff, (yeah, I know "Spinal Tap is a cult classic, but I like "Best in Show" etc better) and the early Coen Bros. like "Raising Arizona"

"Best in Show" was great.  They had another movie about a reunion of old folk singers that I thought was "Break Like the Wind", but google tells me that BLTW was a Spinal Tap song.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #53 on: 22 Mar 2011, 01:38 am »
"Best in Show" was great.  They had another movie about a reunion of old folk singers that I thought was "Break Like the Wind", but google tells me that BLTW was a Spinal Tap song.

I believe the title you're thinking of is A Mighty Wind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Mighty_Wind

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #54 on: 22 Mar 2011, 02:21 am »
Yep!  That's it!

rpf

« Reply #55 on: 22 Mar 2011, 02:29 am »
:thumb:
All great classics, and one that's as true today as the day it was made - Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. Another Cary Grant classic. If you are thinking of building a house check it out.

King of Hearts
had crossed my mind, but wasn't sure it was really a comedy. A satirical look at some universal social questions, with wry humor included, but guess it's in how you see/saw it. A great movie no matter how you categorize it.

As for TV comedy, it's been a while since it aired, but Red Dwarf was always a favorite Britcom.

Yes, I paused at including The King of Hearts but it does have some very funny bits. And I still love it.

ajzepp

« Reply #56 on: 26 Mar 2011, 09:34 pm »
You and AJZEPP should check out the movie "Sex Drive."  I didn't have high hopes for that one but ended up laughing and laughing throughout the whole thing.  The director's cut version goes way, WAY over the line of bad taste...so that's the one I recommend!   :thumb:

I had a little downtime at work, so I fired up Sex Drive on my iPhone...I laughed so much in the first fifteen mins that I turned it off so I can watch it with my lady friend when I get home tonight lol. It's clearly taking a page from the American Pie style of humor, and that's fine with me cause I laughed quite a bit at those films. The scene in Sex Drive when he goes to hand out coupons at the mall had me rolling...I know it's juvenile and "potty humor", but I don't care dammit!  :lol:

Great recommendation man!  :thumb:

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #57 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:15 am »
Rush hour and Meet the parents.  :lol:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #58 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:23 am »

The Colbert Report. It really makes you appreciate the writers as they do four shows a week - a veritable content factory. But the consistancy is amazing. The ginormous writing staff at SNL can't muster up some funny once a week.  :sleep:

D.D.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #59 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:23 am »
Anyone mention Jim Carrey's Yes Man? Might of been the mood I was in but this movie was hilarious.