Torus Power - Voltage Bump

vengky

Torus Power - Voltage Bump
« on: 18 Mar 2011, 12:41 pm »
I am using a 240V RM8 model. I have been measuring the output voltage from the wall and notice that Torus  bumps up the output by 10V. (E.g 240V from the wall - 250V measured from the Torus) Do other owners experience this? Is the range normal?

I have the BDP/BDA as source with custom preamp and 4BSST2 connected to it. The BDP has already refused to boot on several occasions due to the high voltage.

VK

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Torus Power - Voltage Bump
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2011, 12:53 pm »
I am using a 240V RM8 model. I have been measuring the output voltage from the wall and notice that Torus  bumps up the output by 10V. (E.g 240V from the wall - 250V measured from the Torus) Do other owners experience this? Is the range normal?

I have the BDP/BDA as source with custom preamp and 4BSST2 connected to it. The BDP has already refused to boot on several occasions due to the high voltage.

VK

Hi VK,

I know the Torus units are designed so that the voltage is at unity when it is fully loaded to its rating.  so it is common for the unit to show higher voltage on the output when only a few pieces of gear are plugged in as it is far below the maximum load it can handle.

Email Matt Roher at Torus though if you have any concerns or questions.

james

vengky

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2011, 03:48 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply. I have emailed Matt.

I may be mistaken but based on your reply is would seem to suggest that getting a higher capacity torus when the actually power load/requirement is lower is not a good thing. I always thought that having more "headroom" from more power on tap is beneficial especially with regard to transients.

VK

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2011, 04:28 pm »
Hi VK,

Where are are you located given 240 Volt?

The larger transformer has tighter load regulation and a smaller unit would be even higher with no load. You want the Torus to perform at 240 under full load.

james

BrysTony

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2011, 06:53 pm »
These posts lead me to see the value in the Torus AVR series.  I have been leaning that way anyway.
Tony

BrystonFan

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2011, 09:41 pm »
See, AVR is not just eye-candy!   :thumb:
Now if only we could get a BIT with AVR!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2011, 10:38 pm »
See, AVR is not just eye-candy!   :thumb:
Now if only we could get a BIT with AVR!

The AVR is still plus or minus 10 volts and really not required with Bryston gear.

james

vengky

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2011, 12:45 am »
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia :)

Hi VK,

Where are are you located given 240 Volt?

The larger transformer has tighter load regulation and a smaller unit would be even higher with no load. You want the Torus to perform at 240 under full load.

james

klao

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2011, 09:21 am »
Hi VK,

My Torus CS16 AVR does bump down around 12V-13V on regular basis, say from IN-235V to OUT-223V.  The unit is 230V (GERMAN) version and I'm in Thailand.

Klao

vengky

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2011, 10:32 am »
Sawadee Kap  :D

Hi VK,

My Torus CS16 AVR does bump down around 12V-13V on regular basis, say from IN-235V to OUT-223V.  The unit is 230V (GERMAN) version and I'm in Thailand.

Klao

klao

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2011, 07:11 am »
Hello James,

How long is the expected life of LCD display on the AVR unit?  Is it OK to always leave it on (factory default setting), or should I program it to lit only for a while after pressing the button?

Thank you,
Klao

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2011, 11:58 am »
Hello James,

How long is the expected life of LCD display on the AVR unit?  Is it OK to always leave it on (factory default setting), or should I program it to lit only for a while after pressing the button?

Thank you,
Klao

Good question Klao - not sure on that as we do not offer the AVR version in the BIT product.  I will ask Torus for you.

james

klao

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2011, 04:16 pm »
Thanks, James.  Sorry to bother you.  :duh: 

So, from now questions regarding Torus Power should be directed to Matthew Roher at this e-mail address <MatthewR@plitron.com>, and BIT to you, correct?

Good question Klao - not sure on that as we do not offer the AVR version in the BIT product.  I will ask Torus for you.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2011, 05:09 pm »
Thanks, James.  Sorry to bother you.  :duh: 

So, from now questions regarding Torus Power should be directed to Matthew Roher at this e-mail address <MatthewR@plitron.com>, and BIT to you, correct?

Either one - I will help if I can as the units are very similar.

james

vengky

« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2011, 12:00 am »
James

Am I correct to say that the RM4 AVR International (240V)is  equivalent to a RM10 AVR North America (110V). I am trying to figure out whether a RM4 is sufficient for the 4Bsst2.

VK

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2011, 12:25 am »
James

Am I correct to say that the RM4 AVR International (240V)is  equivalent to a RM10 AVR North America (110V). I am trying to figure out whether a RM4 is sufficient for the 4Bsst2.

VK

Hi VK - yes correct.

james

klao

« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2011, 02:53 am »
VK,

Sawadee krub, I never see my AVR unit outputting pass 2.8 Amps yet, but so far I've been playing music at moderate level with a pair of 7B-SST2 driving 4 ohms Maggies.  For future expansion, I'd get a 8A unit if I were you, though.  :)

Klao

vengky

« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2011, 12:50 pm »
Hi Klao

Wish I have the budget for it.

VK

vengky

« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2011, 02:17 am »
Trying out the RM4 AVR(240V). Input 253V Output 240V. So far the power draw is between 0.5A to 0.6A as I don't play loud. On time I see a high current draw is when the 4B powers up - 2.3A. Looks like its more than sufficient for my current needs.  :)

There is an odd thing though. The digital voltage meter measures 243V from the wall but the AVR measures as 253V from the wall. Will have to check with Matt.

VK

klao

« Reply #19 on: 17 Apr 2011, 03:35 pm »
VK,

Did you get to purchase the 4 amp 240V AVR unit?  I tried playing louder music passages (Mahler symphonies) with my 7B's and 4Ohms Maggies with the preamp volume at 50 of 88 max, but couldn't get the Torus output to read more than 3.5A yet.  The manual said the unit displays only RMS output, actual peak current could be higher, though.

Anyway, I'd just like to give you more input and I think the RM4 AVR should be sufficient for your 4B-SST/2. 

For me, I think can add a couple of active subs and another 7B-SST/2 on my 16A Torus.  :)

Cheers!