BOSE WAVE CANNON

werd

BOSE WAVE CANNON
« on: 15 Mar 2011, 05:43 am »
Check this out ! Bose is in the business of making mufflers. Or at least i can tell.

http://pro.bose.com/pdf/pro/tech_data/accoustic_wave_cannon/td_panaray_awcs.pdf

milford3

Re: BOSE WAVE CANNON
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2011, 01:27 pm »
Looks more like a WWll bazooka.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2011, 02:18 pm »
Never thought about putting a 12" woofer inside a large 12-1/2 foot PVC tube.  Where would you install something like that?

"The Acoustic Wave® Cannon System II loudspeaker provides extended bandwidth high performance in permanent installations. When mounted near solid walls, ceilings, or floors its acoustic bass loading delivers greater low frequency sound pressure."

Steve

maxwalrath

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2011, 02:22 pm »
 :lol: :lol: that's hilarious!  Talk about designing a product around a single piece of material...did the good Dr. Bose have a stock of 12' tubes laying around? 

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2011, 02:40 pm »
Looks a lot like a Bazooka car sub to me.

The place I could see that going, to good aural and design effect, would be between floor joists in the ceiling in a basement - hidden from view, and still there for movie effect.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2011, 02:45 pm »
That's a 2003 paper. I wonder how many they sold?

werd

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:07 pm »
Looks like they want you to use them with 901s.

milford3

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:19 pm »
My friends ask me why I Bose Bash all the time.  Aside from being just a fun thing to do,
I will show (inform them) of this silly attempt to achieve LFE brillance.  You go Dr. Bose!

werd

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:51 pm »
From what i understand - hearsay- it was apparently used by one of their engineers to create non audio based- lowfrequency for science. Bose picked it up as a bass driver  :lol:

could be bose's only great product, except for the old 301's.   :scratch:

Brandon B

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:24 am »
could be bose's only great product, except for the old 301's.   :scratch:

See, I'd say Bose has many great products.  It's their prices that are ridiculous.  If they sold the acoustimass speaker systems for, say, 500% markup over the $8 the whole system costs to produce, I'd call them a decent deal in low obtrusiveness mini sound systems.

If their noise canceling headphones were $50-80 instead of $300, they'd be a top notch deal.

If their wave radio cost $60-70, I'd call that a good product as well.

But their whole "we are the only audio engineers with this knowledge and our products are the pinnacle of premium audio engineering" pack of lies is what makes them a bad company.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #10 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:42 am »
Never thought about putting a 12" woofer inside a large 12-1/2 foot PVC tube.  Where would you install something like that?

"The Acoustic Wave® Cannon System II loudspeaker provides extended bandwidth high performance in permanent installations. When mounted near solid walls, ceilings, or floors its acoustic bass loading delivers greater low frequency sound pressure."

Steve

There was an article in either Speaker Builder or it's renamed successor in the last couple years about those bass-loaded subwoofer tubes.  The author built two of them out of Sonotubes (heavy cardboard concrete forms) and nearly shook his house down!  I think he might have been driving them with 15's, and BIG amps.  VERY VERY low WAF  (wife acceptance factor) but if you don't mind a couple huge pipes in the corners of your living room, apparently VERY VERY effective!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #11 on: 16 Mar 2011, 07:48 am »
I heard of Bose Wave Cannons as far back as 1992, I think.

Post #7 here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/9501-acoustic-wave-canon.html

suggests a patent date of Dec 9 1986.

Nelson Pass took this idea pretty far with his "El-Pipe-O" subs for his Kleinhorns.

www.passdiy.com/pdf/el-pipe-o.pdf

www.passdiy.com/pdf/KleinHorn2.pdf

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2011, 04:46 pm »
Wonder how it would model up in MathCAD?  Similar in concept to other tube subs.

mcgsxr

« Reply #13 on: 16 Mar 2011, 07:21 pm »
Appears to be either 4th or 6th order bandpass - front portion is open, so I assume rear would be closed, for a 4th order alignment.  Likely not all that different from their boxed "subs".

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #14 on: 16 Mar 2011, 09:22 pm »
I suppose, using that terminology, ports on a bass reflex enclosure would be more properly called waveguides ... or "acoustic vehicles"  :)

hayden

« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:02 pm »

Steve

Guys,

These have been used in commercial/theater sound for years (no WAF).