Question on Power Output

Mass. Wine Guy

Question on Power Output
« on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:25 am »
I was curious about the power output into 8 ohms of the Nuforce integrated amp, so I wrote to Nuforce and got this reply:

Hi Ken,

IA7V3 has a 200W SMPS so the power is limited at 100W per channel for both 4 and 8 ohm. Normally with lower output impedance (4 ohm) the power should go up, but the SMPS has current and voltage limit.
In reality, since both channels are not driven at the same time, the actual power per channel will be more than 100W.

What is smps? Also, if the limit is 200W, does this meanthe amp would not have much power for loud, dynamic transients and the music would get smeared? I wish I really knew what I was talking about.

Thank you.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: Question on Power Output
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:35 am »
SMPS "Switched-mode power supply"
Means the total voltage IS 200 watts period. Since both channels may not be driven as hard at any moment one channel can be more, (but only up to a total of 200 watts.)
The device is self limiting to 200 watts allowed. With the kind of power supply it has, this is possible. What it means if you try to exceed that I do not know.
(but i think it  will not get any louder, period)
And YES it means loud transients will not be as full or sound real as a none limited amp.
Nearly any normal amp can produce momentary transients MUCH larger than the RMS voltage. Aparently not this amp.
i wouldn't use one for free....