Recommend a truly balanced pre or buffer

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Recommend a truly balanced pre or buffer
« on: 13 Mar 2011, 08:04 pm »
I'm looking at replacing my Dodd Buffer with a truly balanced tube buffer or pre.  I'd love to have a balanced buffer but nobody makes one.   :(

I've got a thing for the Atma-Sphere stuff for some reason so they're the first on my list but what else do you recommend?

It must have remote volume, two balanced outputs at least one balanced input and one RCA input.  No phone stage is needed. 

This will be mating with my Clayton M-300 amps which are 100k ohms imput impedance.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Recommend a truly balanced pre or buffer
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2011, 08:38 pm »
Budget?

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2011, 08:40 pm »
reasonable

Berto

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2011, 08:42 pm »
 I'm VERY curious to see what replies you get. I'm looking right now for pretty much the same thing and I want a remote.  I did contact Gary a year ago about making a bal buffer and he said it could be done, just be double the parts and much more dinero.

I have Atma-sphere MA1s w/Bent Tap x. I had Fred (Gopher) come over last nite and although not bal. we inserted his Shindo pre, and it sounded awesome. When I re-inserted my Bent I was suddenly very underwhelmed with the leaner sound.

I'm guessing a Atma MP-1 would be a no lose option but was hoping I could find a more inexpensive option.

stereocilia

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2011, 08:43 pm »
It's been a long time since I've heard BAT gear, but I remember it sounding quite good.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1304128087&/Bat-Balanced-Audio-technology-

gstarr

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2011, 08:51 pm »
If you can get by with just 2 inputs, there is no better pre-amp than the Coincidence Technology Line Stage. At $5,000 new it is still an amazing bargain and built beautifully. It has a separate power supply that weighs 41 lbs. All in polished stainless steel. Other than the far more expensive Einstein The Tube Mark II (list price $18,400) which is very dynamic and has 5 inputs,  I know of no other preamp as true to the signal as the Coincidence. It is truly stunning and has amazed everyone who has heard it in a system with good source components.

Greg

Macezeke

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2011, 09:22 pm »
With the exception of 2 pair of balanced outputs, you might want to consider the Cary SLP-05. Dave Clark did a review (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue25/cary_slp05.htm) of the Cary a while back and he evaluated it with his Clayton M-100s. Not sure if it meets your "reasonable" requirement, but there are a couple of them available on AudioGon for just under $5k.

Mac

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2011, 09:25 pm »
With the exception of 2 pair of balanced outputs, you might want to consider the Cary SLP-05. Dave Clark did a review (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue25/cary_slp05.htm) of the Cary a while back and he evaluated it with his Clayton M-100s. Not sure if it meets your "reasonable" requirement, but there are a couple of them available on AudioGon for just under $5k.

Mac

Thanks but I've had one before.  My Dodd Buffer replaced it.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2011, 10:56 pm »
If you can get by with just 2 inputs, there is no better pre-amp than the Coincidence Technology Line Stage. At $5,000 new it is still an amazing bargain and built beautifully. It has a separate power supply that weighs 41 lbs. All in polished stainless steel. Other than the far more expensive Einstein The Tube Mark II (list price $18,400) which is very dynamic and has 5 inputs,  I know of no other preamp as true to the signal as the Coincidence. It is truly stunning and has amazed everyone who has heard it in a system with good source components.

Greg

Coincident Statement

Greg has given 2 nice choices, and to be honest, I bet the Coincident would be the better of the two. The Coincident uses DHT's which is a nice touch. There are IDHT's that I really like, but they are of smaller number. Including 6SN7, 6N6P, 5687, 6H30, WE396a...

There are other options especially if you go for used, in no particular order:

1. Vacuum State RTP3D (but it has a phono stage which you don't need/want). State of the Art, your search can end right here. But it's $$$$$$
2. A custom build from Kevin Carter which you may able to get new for quite a reasonable sum, but you'll have to contact him. He may even have a floor display that he can send you for an audition before any commitments.
3. The Cary SLP-05 has already been mentioned and you've already heard it so...moot point.
4. Audio Research LS26
5. Try VAC. Kevin Carter originally worked for them.
6. BAT - as previously mentioned. There are SEVERAL models to choose from! Victor Khomenko is a serious proponent of balanced audio, like Ralph Karsten of Atmasphere. Different approaches however.

The problem is...there are not a lot of options, as there are not a lot of designers who can do a good job at a reasonable price!

Anand.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2011, 11:13 pm »
I'm looking at replacing my Dodd Buffer with a truly balanced tube buffer or pre.  I'd love to have a balanced buffer but nobody makes one.   :(

I've got a thing for the Atma-Sphere stuff for some reason so they're the first on my list but what else do you recommend?

It must have remote volume, two balanced outputs at least one balanced input and one RCA input.  No phone stage is needed. 

This will be mating with my Clayton M-300 amps which are 100k ohms imput impedance.

I have a MP-1 here and it is by far the best preamp I have had in my system.

Next weekend I should have the chance to directly compare it to a BAT Rex preamp. 

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2011, 11:15 pm »

Greg

I don't believe that this preamp has a remote option.  Even worse (at least for me),  is the fact that it uses dual volume controls.

Even if the sonics are killer, those two items take it off my list.  Of course, Jason is a big boy and can decide for himself.   :lol:

George

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2011, 11:19 pm »
Guys...whats the difference in TRULY balanced vs. whatever you'd call Not Truly balanced....Is someone able to give me like the Flinstones version of what Truly means, is it that each channel is totally separate from the other?? :scratch:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2011, 11:49 pm »
I haven't heard either but the Rogue Audio Hera and Athena pres fit your needs.  I don't think either has yet been reviewed but lots of favorable reviews of their other offerings.

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2011, 11:51 pm »
Would the Aesthetix Calypso or SE version meet your requirements?

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:12 am »
The new version of the Melody Pure Black 101 (used to be called the P1688 signature) has a remote volume control.  That was the one complaint some have had about it over the years.

It was just reviewed on EnjoyTheMusic.com:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0311/melody_valve_hifi_pure_black_101.htm

roscoeiii

« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:28 am »
How is the balanced circuitry implemented on the Melody?

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:28 am »
How is the balanced circuitry implemented on the Melody?

Forgive me if this doesn't fully answer your question, but I know that Melody (at least in their current generation of products) uses balancing transformers for the XLR outputs.  The Pure Black 101 also has a set of XLR balanced inputs as do all of their amplifiers.

« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2011, 12:14 pm by woofersus »

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2011, 02:07 am »
I don't believe that this preamp has a remote option.  Even worse (at least for me),  is the fact that it uses dual volume controls.

Even if the sonics are killer, those two items take it off my list.  Of course, Jason is a big boy and can decide for himself.   :lol:

George

Excellent points George. I agree. If Israel Blume can implement a volume control (or dual mono volume control to be exact with remote),then we're game.

Anand.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2011, 02:16 am »
I haven't heard either but the Rogue Audio Hera and Athena pres fit your needs.  I don't think either has yet been reviewed but lots of favorable reviews of their other offerings.

:eyebrows: Sure does look interesting. Rogue Audio Hera - Top of the line

Rogue Audio Athena-Looks like a Rogue Audio Hera with a simpler power supply.

Both very inspiring units, thanks!

Anand.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2011, 02:39 am »
Excellent points George. I agree. If Israel Blume can implement a volume control (or dual mono volume control to be exact with remote),then we're game.

Anand.

Israel knows his stuff (I have owned half a dozen of his speakers and still have a passive preamp he built for me over 10 years ago), so I am curious as to why he went the route he did.

George