Your Best Bluegrass

Mag

Your Best Bluegrass
« on: 8 Mar 2011, 05:22 am »
I'm listening to a Bluegrass compilation and there's some good banjo picking.

The song I like the most has the lyric: It all depends on where you stand whether you're in the desert or the Promised Land. :lol:

Another funny one is called 'Ole Slew Foot', with good picking. But I can't find who played this version.

What's your favorite bluegrass tunes? 8)

craig223

Re: Your Best Bluegrass
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2011, 01:41 pm »
If you are new to bluegrass, I would highly recommend two albums to get started:

Old & In The Way - self titled.  This live album from the early 70s features Jerry Garcia on banjo with an all-star band.  Land of the Najavo is worth the album cost.

Memories - Doc & Merle Watson.  Been listening to bluegrass for more than 40 years and never heard better.

On Saturdays from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm Eastern, you can listen to bluegrass on http://www.wncw.org/.  This small college radio station in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns in NC plays more bluegrass than you ever knew was out there.  Great place to hear lots of talent.

Speaking of talent, you might want to attend Merle Fest.  Here is a link: http://www.merlefest.org/

Enjoy!

Craig  :D  :D  :D

rockadanny

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2011, 02:59 pm »
Love bluegrass and newgrass, but one release which really surprised me because I did not expect it to be so good is "The Mountain", by Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band. Steve Earle is a very talented guy. And the Del McCoury Band is very good. Still, I did not expect such a wonderful record. Highly enjoyable. :thumb:

(Side note: for those who live near Atlanta - Red Top Mountain State Park has free bluegrass every Saturday evening during the summer. FREE. Played in the outdoor bandshell in the woods between the lodge and the lake. Great music and setting.)

R_burke

« Reply #3 on: 9 Mar 2011, 08:16 pm »
Jerry Douglas' solo efforts are fantastic I especially like Skip, Hop and Wobble

hdspeakerman

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2011, 09:59 pm »
Early Bela Fleck!

genjamon

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2011, 10:06 pm »
The Steeldrivers are a great relatively recent group to check out.

WG

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2011, 10:09 pm »
I really like the first album, self titled THE STEELDRIVERS.  Lead vocals are bit strained at the beginning but this album gets you involved and toe tapping.  The second by The Steeldrivers is called Reckless.  It's more refined, but more studio sounding and not as dynamic.

Will

Steve53

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2011, 10:24 pm »
Recommend just about anything from Sam Bush including his days with New Grass Revival. They also had Bela (pronounced Bay-la) in the group.

WG

« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2011, 10:29 pm »
Steve,

Agree both on Sam Bush and New Grass Revival.  Sam Bush's "laps in seven" album has a remake of White Bird from It's A Beautiful Day of early 70's that's terrific.

Will

Scottdazzle

« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2011, 10:40 pm »
Muleskinner - A Potpourri of Bluegrass Jam.
This was a short-lived band because of the tragic death of guitar virtuoso Clarence White in 1973. The band consisted of White, David Grisman, Peter Rowan, Richard Greene, and Bill Keith. Often imitated, never duplicated.

pehare

« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2011, 10:49 pm »
Seldom Scene....first 5 albums
Del McCoury, Doc Watson & Mac Wiseman, "Mac, Doc & Del"
anything by Del McCoury band, try his latest "Family Circle"
Larry Sparks, "40"

Scott F.

« Reply #11 on: 9 Mar 2011, 11:05 pm »
Don't forget the Tony Rice Unit  :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #12 on: 9 Mar 2011, 11:55 pm »
Alison Krauss & Union Station
Nickel Creek
early String Cheese Incident, especially the songs Bill Nershi wrote

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:08 am »
I am not a bluegrass fan, but I agree that the 1st 5 albums by the Seldom Scene, and the New Grass Revival releases, are very good.
http://www.kmst.org Public Radio 88.5 (KMST.org) in South-central Missouri plays bluegrass on Thursday evening, Saturday night, and early Sunday mornings.
They also feature classical, folk, celtic, jazz, big band, singer/songwriter, etc.  Best all-round NPR station I've ever heard; run by great people.  Proud to be a 20+ year supporter.    :thumb:

dflee

« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2011, 12:31 am »
If you really want to know what Bluegrass is all about, get the four box set "The Music of Bill Monroe" from 1936 to 1994. As Sam Bush and David Grissman state on their album together "Nobody does it like old Bill". Afterall he is the father of Bluegrass.

Later
Don

strider

« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2011, 02:51 am »
Excellent post. Both albums are incredible for their own reasons. I've not heard the radio show from NC but Merlefest is the best musical experience I've ever been part of. From the upcoming acts you'll hear about in a couple years to the people like Ralph Stanley, Doc, and others who are the foundation of the genre you can't go wrong. Throw in the hospitality and the genuine nature of the locals and it's just about perfect.

If you are new to bluegrass, I would highly recommend two albums to get started:

Old & In The Way - self titled.  This live album from the early 70s features Jerry Garcia on banjo with an all-star band.  Land of the Najavo is worth the album cost.

Memories - Doc & Merle Watson.  Been listening to bluegrass for more than 40 years and never heard better.

On Saturdays from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm Eastern, you can listen to bluegrass on http://www.wncw.org/.  This small college radio station in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns in NC plays more bluegrass than you ever knew was out there.  Great place to hear lots of talent.

Speaking of talent, you might want to attend Merle Fest.  Here is a link: http://www.merlefest.org/

Enjoy!

Craig  :D  :D  :D

Brandon B

« Reply #16 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:41 am »
If you really want to know what Bluegrass is all about, get the four box set "The Music of Bill Monroe" from 1936 to 1994. As Sam Bush and David Grissman state on their album together "Nobody does it like old Bill". Afterall he is the father of Bluegrass.

Later
Don

As a follow-on to that, there is a guy whose stuff is free to download in 16/44 on bandcamp.com named Bruce Harvie, who has an album called "Mangler of Bluegrass" wherein he interprets Monroe's stuff, mostly by doing all the things Monroe hates as "non-pure" elements.  Still good bluegrass though. 

For Nickel Creek fans, you should also check out Chris Thile's post Nickel Creek efforts, two albums under his own name featuring people like Bela Fleck etc, and a new group album called Antifogmatic by the Punch Brothers.

Sara Watkins (another third of Nickel Creek) solo album is also quite good.  And also picked up an album called City of Refuge by Abigail Washburn which is quite good.

ratso

« Reply #17 on: 16 Mar 2011, 02:21 am »
anything by gillian welch. and she's amazing live too.

jazzcourier

« Reply #18 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:30 am »
Bluegrass is another genre of music that has suffered from the "polluting of the waters".  People stretching into Jazz,Rock,electric banjo's,drums and other baggage that people have hauled along to make them think they are "creative". This music may be good and entertaining,but it is not Bluegrass.This is the last thing people want to hear,but this is the first thing that Bluegrass musicians and followers of the genre bring up.Certainly, things seem to have to "evolve" to stay "relevant" or commercial.So why not add some drums to Schubert's Trout quintet?
Bluegrass existed for almost 30 years as a pure form.Almost all the originators are dead so it is easy prey to stretch the definition.The progenitors thrived on instrumental virtuosity within a strict format,almost like Bebop did in Jazz.The vocal leads and harmonies were just as important and the canon of songs truly mirrored the lifestyle and values.The thrill of fast picked mandolin,guitar,banjo and stand up bass all blending together,arcing in and out of the vocals,and jumping out into the lead is a thing of great beauty to hear.It is among the treasures we can be proud of as Americans that we have produced something so unique that defines our character and creativity.The purest water will always be found at the source of the spring.

Brandon B

« Reply #19 on: 16 Mar 2011, 04:04 pm »
Perhaps you may deign to give us a list of approved artists from which we may make recommendations then.