Desperate! Magnepan MMG-W's Wanted

stevetheflute

Desperate! Magnepan MMG-W's Wanted
« on: 7 Mar 2011, 07:40 pm »
Hi,
I've not posted here before and I hope I'm allowed to post a WANTED rather then a FOR SALE add.

I recently got my first pair of MMG's and I am absolutely gobsmacked at how good they are!
I'm completely hooked  :D  and want to set up a Magnepan HT system now so a pair of MMG-W's is next.

I'm looking for a pair of OFF-WHITE MMG-W's in great condition and with all original packaging.

I live in the UK and there are no dealers and few Magnepan users here so I'm happy to buy from the USA.
I would pay for and arrange carraige.
Please let me know if you have a pair going for sale.
Thanks.

ajzepp

Re: Desperate! Magnepan MMG-W's Wanted
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2011, 07:08 am »
Hey Steve...I know exactly how you felt when you fired up the MMGs for the first time  :thumb:

I was going to tell you about the sale/wtb circle here, but I see you've already posted an ad there. You can also try audiogon.com, ebay.com, audioasylum.com (planar forum and the classifieds), and avsforum.com

My first Maggie HT was MMGs up front and a pair of MMG-Ws in back, so believe me, it's worth the effort you're going through to find a pair! 

PS. I actually still use a pair of MMG-Ws in back with my 3.6 mains  :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2011, 10:45 am »
I'm sure that one of the dealers could also pop one in the mail for you. 

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2011, 05:39 pm »
Magnepan won't sell them to you directly?

stevetheflute

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2011, 07:59 pm »
Hi,
I was looking for a used pair just to save a few £££. By the time I'm paid postage, VAT at 20% and import duty etc. the price here in the UK is much higher than in the USA (but still fabulous value  :) ).

I haven't spoken to Magnepan but I understood that they didn't sell the MMG range overseas.
I know they run an exchange scheme for used MMG models when you trade up for the one of the more expensive models.
Do they ever have used pairs of MMG-W's for sale?

josh358

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:41 am »
For whatever reason, I don't often see the MMG-W's for sale used. Also, according to the Audiogon blue book, they've been selling used for almost as much as they cost new, $290 as opposed to $299. Supply and demand, I guess, though I'm not sure I understand why somebody would want to buy used speakers for only $9 less than a new pair!

targa02

« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2011, 05:21 am »
Hi, I have a pair of charcoal grey MMG Ws I would be willing to sell. Please pm if you are interested.