Cycling Training DVD's: Spinervals, Carmichael Training, Sufferfest

jackman

First of all, I have to admit a couple things.  It's getting close to outdoor road cycling time in Chicago (high 30's today) and, secondly, I HATE riding on the trainer indoors.  I have a commercial spin bike, Kurt Kinetic on my road bike, and TV with DVD player in my workout room and ride the trainer 3 times per week. 

No matter what I do, it's difficult to make my time on the bike trainer feel like anything but torture.  Nonetheless, I am committed to improving my speed on the bike by training indoors when it's too cold to train outside.  I recently picked up a couple DVD series that have really helped make indoor training more productive and less tortuous.  All three series have strengths and I plan to use them during the season, between group rides to improve my fitness level and speed. 

I picked up DVD's from Carmichael Training System (Cycling Power, Hill Riding, Cycling for  Fitness), Spinervals (time trials) and Sufferfest.  So far all three are great but the time trial DVD (with a 20 minute all out cardio test) is the most brutal I have tried.  This isn't necessary good but my HR was over 180 bpm and I was light headed at one point.  Will keep you posted on how much these programs have improved my outdoor riding.  If I get dropped on the first ride, these are going on eBay!

Cheers,

Jack

jackman

I forgot to mention.  The Carmichael DVD's are brutal.  My legs were so rubbery after the cycling for fitness DVD that I almost fell getting off my bike.  BRUTAL...but I guess good if you are looking for a killer workout. 

baumer

I'm with you on the indoor training! I'm using a 15 or so year old wind trainer that is a train wreck. I was looking at the new Lemond trainer this winter but between the price of it and me hating being on the thing for more than 45 min. I just couldn't do it.

I've been a Mtn. biker for the past twenty years and just got into road riding last summer. I really wanted to stay in decent shape between Cyclocross season and whenever the snow decides to thaw. I've been doing the trainer every other day with some cardio stuff in between.

I've looked at those DVD's with the thought that they just might help keep my fitness level up instead of just spinning circles. I'll be interested in your thoughts on how they work out.

I did get on the bike yesterday for a quick 15 mile ride even though it was 40 degrees with howling wind and I forgot my gloves!  :lol:

Of course today it was 54.  :x