Paradigm 11 SE MKIII

monopress

Paradigm 11 SE MKIII
« on: 6 Mar 2011, 01:44 am »
Hi - I have the chance to purchase a set of Paradigm 11SE MKIII speakers and brought them home for a listen.  My equipment is as follows - Jolida 502 (with the Underwoods tweaks), a HagTech Cornet2 Phono-preamp, Bob's SUT for the Denon 103R on my MMF 7 turntable.  Works and plays beautifully with my Thiel .5 speakers.  I hooked up the paradigms and immediately noticed a muted sound coming out of one of the speakers while the other seems to play just great.  I'm confident that it is not my system, I moved the speaker wires from 8 ohm to 4 ohm before starting the amp as well.  The speaker that doesn't play normally does not have two sets of RCA jacks, just the low frequency inputs.  How do I wire them so that I can evaluate them?  Thanks. 

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Paradigm 11 SE MKIII
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2011, 03:15 am »
I owned the 9SE MKIIIs years ago, great speakers back then.
First, and easiest thing to do is swap the speaker cables, left to right, at the amp and see if the poor sound stays with the speaker. If so you know it is the speaker causing trouble and not the system. If the the speakers have only one set of binding posts then you can't check individual drivers without removing them. Kind of sounds like you have a bad speaker though. You can also push gently on the woofers to see if there is a raspy sound when they go in and out. This happened to me when my son was listening to rap music at high volumes. Good luck.