Good deals on sub drivers

Al Garay

« on: 30 Jan 2003, 06:21 am »
AudioLiquidators bought out the remaining stock of Blueprint drivers,
They have the Blueprint 1503 for $175
http://www.audioliquidators.com/sub.html

For comparison, the Adire Tumult is releasing this week in US for $499.

Another good deal is Lambda drivers, they are going out of business as well
http://www.lambdacoustics.com/pricing.html
Lambda 15" LE  $99 each
Lambda 15" SB, PB, TD, PRO, DIPOLE, MOBILE LF, MOBILE SPL - $179 each

Any opinions on these,

Al

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2003, 07:14 am »
I have the 1503 in a dual PR 24" cube - the bass power and impact is stunning.  Sure, my RM-40's in my 2 channel setup impress people that come over, but it's the blueprint sub in my HT that leaves their jaws on the floor.  For $175, that's a steal.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2003, 07:27 am »
FYI, today's news is that Lambda may in fact NOT be going out of business... which is great news for fans of their woofers.

Al Garay

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2003, 08:10 am »
That is good news. Always nice to think that a replacement driver would be available or if you want to have 2 subs... however, one of these 15" subs should be more than enough for HT.

Tyson,

Please tell me more about your sub. What size PRs? Are you using dual 18" PRs? I have read the Stryke FAQ and John seems to advocate 18" PRs for 15" drivers. I'm still comparing PRs to sealed. Sure looks like a well executed PR will satisfy my craving for a manly sub.

I know you listened to Jeff (Nikko's) 1801s. Did you get to listen to his SCC300 sub? I figure it would be a tough comparison ... well designed V6 does not equal a nice V8.

Thanks,

Al

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2003, 08:25 am »
Yep, got a 24 inch cube with two 18" PR's (from Stryke).  The deal w/PR's is you need approx. 4x the displacement from the PR's compared to what the driver is capable of.  Dual 18" high excursion PR's will give you that with the 1503, dual 15" PR's won't.

Sealed subs have better bass for music, assuming it's a low Q design (ie, the box is sufficiently big).  But there's really no way for a sealed sub to keep up w/a PR or ported box in the very low bass.  Mine's tuned to 16hz, and even with LOTR above reference level, I've never bottomed my sub.  For movies, I really prefer the ported and PR style subs, as the bass is a little more "present", which I find I like.  For music, I still like sealed subs best with one exception - the VMPS subs are the best box subs I've heard, and they use a PR on the bottom.  Don't know how brian does it, but they sound awesome with music.

Haven't heard Jeff's sub, but he's heard mine, perhaps he could comment. . .

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2003, 08:29 am »
Tyson, just curious, do you have an opinion on IB subs on HT? I know you don't have an IB but I wondered if you might have heard ThomasW's on a movie.

JohnR

Brandon B

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2003, 03:48 pm »
Quote from: JohnR
FYI, today's news is that Lambda may in fact NOT be going out of business... which is great news for fans of their woofers.

I have Lambda SB10s (from Stryke) for woofers, and think they are fantastic.  Seeing them on clearance is maknig me want to buy more.

BB

Nikko

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2003, 05:06 pm »
Al, Tyson's sub did in fact cause my jaw to hit the floor. The bass was astonishing. We were watching a DVD (forgot the movie) and the bass was so intense that I thought my eardrums were going to explode.

My sub is everything I was looking for and exactly as Dave Ellis said it would be. It is extremely musical and the perfect match for the 1801s. If the bass is in the music the SCC300 plays the notes as they were intended. No flabbiness, no exaggeration, just tight, tuneful, extended bass. I'm crossing over between sub and sats at 80 Hz and the 40-80 Hz bass region once recreated by the 1801s are now being done by the SCC300. The SCC300 seems to do those notes just as well as the 1801s. And it's a thrill to hear my system playing pipe organ deep too. So while my sub won't impress with the mega SPL's of other subs, though it does play very loud, it will impress with its musical accuracy.

BTW, if you're in the market for new ICs I can't recommend Doug of Matrixav's new Zeus Tetra-Helix interconnects enough. I've been plugging away slowly on a review of these cables and I'm going to try and post it today. Doug hit the nail on the head with these cables!

PeteG

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2003, 11:34 pm »
Those are great price's for the blueprint's. I'm not a big fan of
using sub's for music, but for movies the 1503 rocks :!: .

Brian Bunge

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2003, 04:08 am »
John,

I haven't installed an IB sub yet, but Mike Knapp of HTT installed a 4 Tempest IB sub in his HT.  I believe he said it was the best bass he's ever heard.  There are several other guys on HTT that have done the same and love it.

Tyson,

Concerning PR's, the rule of thumb is as a minimum you should have 2x the Vd of the driver being used, but 4x is considered optimal.