Noise cancelling cans - opinions/recommendations please

AVnerdguy

I have multiple cheap nc phones that I use for travel (Sony/Panasonic). Not much fidelity wise but they’re cheap and I don’t care if they get trashed when I drop them on the floor in security, sit on them in those tiny Delta seats, crush them against my laptop etc.

I have the opportunity to get a pair of Bose QC15 or Sony MDR-NC60 with my credit card points (alas, no Sennheisers or AKG). I know they’ll never sound as good as my Grado SR225i’s and I don’t expect too much from these but free is good. I’m looking for opinions from the AC gang vs. an Amazon or Best Buy star poll. Either of these worth the effort or should I get another pair of Grado 60’s and live with the engine noise?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Noise cancelling cans - opinions/recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2011, 10:52 pm »
I'd recommend In Ear Monitors (IEM's), they are far, far better than the crappy noise canceling headphones.  Sensaphonics, Ultimate Ears, JH Audio, Etymotics all make great IEM's.  I think I've listened to almost everything at this point and IEM's are just a better solution.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2011, 11:01 pm »
FREE is good, because its..well FREE!! I hear the Bose are comfy and the QC line is something Bose actually can pull off..there was a headphone buyers guide floating around here awhile back and I think it had both of your choices...I'lll dig around for it...

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2011, 11:03 pm »
I agree totally with Tyson.  The IEMs act like earplugs and end up blocking out more noise than much more expensive noise canceling types.  Far less complicated and more reliable too.

bregez

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2011, 11:23 pm »
I make the flight from Chicago to Delhi and Chicago to Bangkok on a regular basis.  The recommendation of IEM's is crazy.  I would never have anything in my ear for 15 hours at a time.   I do however fly with Sony MDR-NC60's.  For long trips over the ear is the way to go.  The Sony's are comfortable and non-fatiguing.  They fold up flat and have a nice carrying case.  Sound wise, they are a bit bass heavy compared to my MDR-V6's so I would recommend a source with at least a 5 band EQ to correct for the nonlinear response.  The NC feature requires a single AAA battery that typically lasts around 28 hours.  The NC is good at canceling out low frequencies, not so good at the higher frequencies, but it does make a big difference on the plane.  I would be curious in comparing the NC feature between the Bose QC15's and the Sony MDR-NC60's to see which is more effective.

AVnerdguy

« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2011, 12:45 am »
I think I'll go check out the IEMs. Don't know if I can handle hours with those in though. Ed found his buyer's guide so I'll go through that as well.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2011, 12:54 am »
i wear my iem 7 to 8 hours a day in an industrial wood shop  app 110dp noise floor,  they stop more noise then the provided earplugs  :thumb: their my choice for flying also. never listened to n/c earphones so i cant express an opinion on them.

ed

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #7 on: 7 Mar 2011, 03:49 am »
My wife has the Sony's and she finds they work fine for noise cancellation and as gym phones.  They don't sound too bad with an iPod.

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2011, 06:07 am »
I have the Sennheiser PXC-250. Eh, they are OK - I guess. Kind of, not really, sort of, maybe, possibly recommended???

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2011, 01:43 am »
Getting custom-molded plugs for earphones can make it so extended listening is more comfortable. But custom molds don't, by themselves, provide greater noise isolation than your standard foam earphone plugs.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2011, 03:23 am »
I have a pair of the Sony NC-60s. They worked very well on our flight to Hawaii last year. I used them for probably 5 hours straight. Very comfortable. They did a better job of noise canceling than my wife's Sennheiser PXC-250s. As for sound? Well your on a plane with some residual noise coming through so critical listening ain't happenin.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:23 pm »
I use a set of Panasonic SLIMZ nc phones for flights.  Not fantastic, but great at drowning out what is around me, and easier to use to chat when required, it has a mute button built into the cable.

$90 or so at BB.

wgallupe

« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2011, 05:14 pm »
I got the Bose QC15s with frequent flier miles. Could have picked the Sony model but decided it was time to own a Bose product :lol:

Anyway, they are very comfortable, sound fine and the noise cancellation works well. 

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2011, 06:15 pm »
I have used the Audio-Technica ATH ANC7 before and they are pretty good.

They are priced at $119 in amazon.