suggestion for T5 or T6 or T7 ? please

simonleemd

suggestion for T5 or T6 or T7 ? please
« on: 25 Mar 2004, 03:32 am »
Hi, I need more input on sonic characters of the T5. Your(T5 user) information,opinion and suggestions on T5 is highly appreciated and would be helpful for me in making a decision as to whether I should go for the T5,T6 or T7 ? I would be using either one of them for partnering with my NAD C370 Amp and am expecting for a soft,warm,GOOD bass sounding .Thanks in advance
Simon       PS- I am using Ah4000 CDP(Amperex7308,+Upsampling)
                       TruthLink IC.(harmonic tech );Analysis Plus Oval 9 spkr cable

aln

which preamp to buy
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2004, 04:09 pm »
I would buy the most expensive one I could afford.  Preamps are the heart of the system.  Tube preamps will sacrifice extension at the frequency extremes.  I have used a Van Alstine modified Pas 3x and now a Transcendence 7 and can hear clearly the difference between the two, both in extension as well as intelligibility and soundspace.  Of course, since you can upgrade any ot the Van Alstine models, you could start anywhere, 5 or 6.  Reviews on the sonics of the Van Alstine preamps are available at the Audio Asylum under preamps.  Also remember that the effects of tubes are very audible on the tubed preamps-be prepared to try several sets  until you find the one that works with your system.  This is a good thing!  Being able to fine tune your system with tubes is quite a blessing.  Any out thee want to talk about their 5 or 6 preamp?

aln

which preamp to buy
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2004, 04:10 pm »
I would buy the most expensive one I could afford.  Preamps are the heart of the system.  Tube preamps will sacrifice extension at the frequency extremes.  I have used a Van Alstine modified Pas 3x and now a Transcendence 7 and can hear clearly the difference between the two, both in extension as well as intelligibility and soundspace.  Of course, since you can upgrade any ot the Van Alstine models, you could start anywhere, 5 or 6.  Reviews on the sonics of the Van Alstine preamps are available at the Audio Asylum under preamps.  Also remember that the effects of tubes are very audible on the tubed preamps-be prepared to try several sets  until you find the one that works with your system.  This is a good thing!  Being able to fine tune your system with tubes is quite a blessing.  Any out there want to talk about their 5 or 6 preamp?

Gary Buck

T5,T6,T7 ?
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2004, 08:50 pm »
I think the last response was good but a little simplified.  Yes, go with the one you can best afford.  However, there are many differences.  Do you want to be able to adjust tone ?  Do you need a mute ?  etc.  Check out
AVA's website to see feature differences.  I own the T5r, which is the latest version available.  I am extremely pleased with it.  The extension on both end of the spectrum is great.  

I would start with the one that fits your budget.  They all will satisfy.