Rythmik Audio Sub Build

sl_1800

Rythmik Audio Sub Build
« on: 3 Mar 2011, 10:02 pm »
I friend of mine bought a Rythmik Audio FV15HP Direct Servo subwoofer Kit.  I have had the fun of building the enclosure for it.  I have not built anything this big and heavy since my car stereo days, a long time ago.

The plans call for a dual port enclosure with 3/4" mdf sides, top, bottom, inner braces and 1 1/2" mdf front and back.  I have never built anything quite like it, there are two inner braces with one large hole and two small holes in each brace.  The small holes in the braces are for the port tubes to pass thru to the rear chamber of the cabinet.  The large holes are different a size in each brace.  Look at the pics and you will understand.  How all this different size chambers and different size holes in the braces is to work is beyond me, I just built it according to plan.  All edges and braces were dado cut on a router table.

The first two pics came out wrong, the ports are at the bottom of the front not on the end.  :?

The front face and back were cut for the woofer and port holes and amp mounting hole then another piece of 3/4" was laminated on the back of each.  I used a bearing guided trim bit in my router to cut thru the lamination.

Sonny

Re: Rythmik Audio Sub Build
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2011, 10:04 pm »
I am so jealous of those of you who have a garage, tools and know how to build cabinets, stands, etc...
Living here in the San Francisco area, to have a house with a garage, well, that's a luxury...

So, I sit and live off your projects!
T

nickd

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2011, 11:58 pm »
Nice BOX!

I have 2 ea 12" woofers from Brian in the bull pen. I can't wait to build them out. :bounce: I was thinkinig about going with a sealed alignment. I am trying to finish my Super V's this weekend. I know you're an open baffle kind of guy. Why the ported box?  :scratch:

I have had both, and even have a monster Transmission line (16') built in the wall for Movies so I understand pant flapping bass. However, I have started to gravitate more toward OB and sealed woofers lately because my somewhat treated 14' 6" X 21' room seems to "let go of the note" a little faster with those alignments. Your Opinion is valued, please comment.

sl_1800

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2011, 03:38 am »
Sonny,  I have been a wood worker audio hobbiest builder since I was a kid.  And I have to build these things to justify my garage and tools.  :D

nickd,  This unit is for a friend of mine for use in his home theater setup.  He has AV123 X statik and X voice as his mains and center.  Yes he wanted massive bass and his room is large.

But........for me I'm sure I would rather have the sealed woofers or a very large OB design.  I have my Super V's in a rather ruff state at the moment, experimenting with them.  I have too many projects going now.  Just built a Pass B1 and a Class D CDA 254 amp and I got my motor today from VPI for my home built turntable.  And none of them look finished, the only piece in my system that looks good is my Dodd buffer and Mac Mini.  :lol:

nickd

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2011, 03:25 pm »
we have too much in common :lol:

I have too many projects underway too. My EB1 Super Amp, Mach2 Mini and Tranquility DAC are the only fixed objects in my stable. Gonna make a big push on the Super V's now. As for My Custom FET Preamp with the Tent labs balanced volume control :roll: can't seem to get that one in the pipeline for completion. Using a NAD 917 out of desperation for now :lol: not as bad as one would think though. A little dry, not too transparent, but enjoyable. Like an $8.00-$12.00 chardonnay :|

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2011, 03:37 pm »
Ok, just some encouragement to get the Servo Sub and the Super-V's built:

:thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2011, 05:21 pm »
Oh I like this pic - it is a Faux-Wolf, with a draught!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2011, 05:26 pm »
Thanks!

I tried my best at the Lonewolf pose with the Super-V's.  :D

sl_1800

« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2011, 02:22 pm »
Hal,  thanks for the pic, those Super V's look good.  I had the twenty four hour bug yesterday so I accomplished nothing but sleep.  Today I hope to make some progress. on the servo sub and a little progress on my turntable.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2011, 02:30 pm »
Hal,  thanks for the pic, those Super V's look good.  I had the twenty four hour bug yesterday so I accomplished nothing but sleep.  Today I hope to make some progress. on the servo sub and a little progress on my turntable.

Thanks!  :D

Hope you feel better soon.  I have been fighting the crud for 3 weeks!