AKG K702 question

jupejones

AKG K702 question
« on: 2 Mar 2011, 11:55 pm »
Hello all,

I have a pair of AKG K702's. Oddly, they sound just fine when I plug them into a 1/4" jack. However, with an 1/8" adapter on them, I hear a lot of static and the sound keeps cutting out. I have only tried the AKG adapter that came with them and a cheap Radio Shack one.

I really want to use the 1/8" jack size since I have a HeadRoom Total Airhead battery powered amp. This is used primarily as my sound system at the office.

Any thoughts on this? Should a good quality adapter fix the problem?

Also, is the Total Airhead amp any good? I got it since my ipod was not loud enough with the AKG's. I have not tried any other amps but might consider a lower-priced alternative.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
Re: AKG K702 question
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2011, 06:01 am »
Sounds like a weak/loose connection. It could be the adapter or the headphone amp jack. Since you tried two different adapters, including the one the K 702's come with, I'd guess the jack. It may be exacerbated if the cable weight is putting some strain on the jack.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2011, 01:37 am »
Also, is the Total Airhead amp any good? I got it since my ipod was not loud enough with the AKG's. I have not tried any other amps but might consider a lower-priced alternative.

Its ok for the price, are you considering to upgrade? some portable amp, or full size?

IMO Akg's are tough to drive, you'll need a quality desktop amp (HA-160) or an old receiver, to get the most out of them.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2011, 04:00 am »
Hi,

I have a Schiit ASGARD amp and it works well with the 702's

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91216.0

I have no issues using the adapter that came with the 702's sounds like a poor connection, solder joint, wire etc...

Also will be building a Cavalli SOHA II DIY hybrid amp and will let you know how this goes.

These cans are very good for the bucks and with good amp are awesome.

I have used a  Frank Van Alstine preamp via its headphone section and it also is great with these phones as well as a Onkyo 805 headphone section.

Alex

tomwhite

« Reply #4 on: 5 Mar 2011, 06:23 pm »
Op, if you're considering to upgrade. whats your budget?

If you can buy an used HA-160 for your hp's it would be great. Maybe you have the chance to try it before? they rock with Akg's.

jupejones

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:08 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I found the problem was that somehow BOTH 1/4" to 1/8" adapters were damaged or somehow not working, since a third adapter works perfectly. Odd.  :D

I will take a look at the amps mentioned, and see what's out there on audiogon etc. Trying to stay under $200 if I can, it's just a system for the office.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:20 pm »
I bought a Millett Max Hybrid for use with my Grado's earlier this year, and very happy.  It will handle your 62 ohm 702's nicely I would think.

Head-Fi member FallenAngel made it for me, and has another one (I saw it at the recent Toronto Head-Fi gathering).  I think he does them for $240 shipped.  Head-Fi classified is where I would be looking, were I you.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2011, 04:49 pm »
mcgsxr, thanks for mentioning Millett HP amps. I checked them out here, it looks really great.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2011, 06:04 pm »
I will take a look at the amps mentioned, and see what's out there on audiogon etc. Trying to stay under $200 if I can, it's just a system for the office.

Cool,
let us know how everything goes, if you have more questions come back to us.  :wink: