Change in HT Setup, will this be ok?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:06 am »
In my current setup all my HT electronics are separate from my 2 channel.  The only integration point is my RM 40's.  When I want to watch a movie or tv, I need to shut down the 2 channel, remove the speaker cables and hook up the speaker cables that are connected to my HT amp (Sherbourn 5/1500A).  In this setup, my HT speaker cables (10ga Lowes spool) are around 36' in length.

What I am thinking of doing now is the following:

Run ic's (single ended around 30' in length) from the L/R out on my preamp/pro to an input on my 2 channel preamp.  I would use the Sherbourn for the other 5 channels (well only 4 since I am not running a center channel).  This would allow me to use my Rowland 201's for the L/R in HT setup (along with my Argent Audio Pursang speaker cable).

Couple of things I am worried about...

1.  30' length in a single ended ic - will this negatively impact the sound?

2.  The preamps I am considering for my 2 channel setup won't have HT bypass (although the Bent NOH I hope to have in April is a passive and I can just open it full).  This means I will have an extra "gain stage".

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

George

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:14 am »
30 foot IC's sound kind of long, but might as well give it a try.

As for the Noh, my Bent has an HT bypass, but I have used other pre's like you want to with no ill effects.

That's basically how I integrate my 2 channel/HT system.

I use the same amps/speakers for both.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:20 am »
Well, it is either really long ic's or speaker cable.  The HT gear is pretty far away from speakers and 2 channel gear.

I can't really move it b/c of the video cables running to my pj.  Plus, I like it out of the way under the stairs.

I talked to John about HT bypass but he said it couldn't really be done in my case because I will have xlr and rca outs.  He said just turn it all the way open and try to remember to turn it down before listening to music.

I was thinking of trying the Analog Two ic's from Signal Cable.  In the length I need, it would run around $225-250.

George

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:26 am »
Quote from: zybar
Well, it is either really long ic's or speaker cable.  The HT gear is pretty far away from speakers and 2 channel gear.

I can't really move it b/c of the video cables running to my pj.  Plus, I like it out of the way under the stairs.

I talked to John about HT bypass but he said it couldn't really be done in my case because I will have xlr and rca outs.  He said just turn it all the way open and try to remember to turn it down before listening to music.

I was thinking of trying the Analog Two ic's from Signal Cable.  In the length I need, it would run around $225-250.

George

I don't have your problem with both RCA's and XLR's..I don't have the XLR's.

John would know on the HT thing, but that has been how I ran things on my Morrison ELAD pre-amp, flat out.

I have never heard the Analog 2 Ic's, but he is working on a 6 outlet power strip that can be switched with a 12V signal.

So far I like the guy, but haven't seen any product.

Best of luck.

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:35 am »
George,

30 feet of IC is a bit too long of a run, IMHO.

You really should not run low level signals so far. That is what amplifiers are for. You can run into problems with very high capacitance. It WILL impact the sound of your system.

I feel that longer speaker cables are the best way to handle your situation.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:45 am »
That's what I was afraid of...   :cry:

I am really trying to figure out a way to use my Rowlands for HT, but it isn't looking good.

Just curious...if my pre/pro had balanced outs would 30' be ok?

George

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:54 am »
George,

That all depends on the circuit used in the Pre/Pro and the amp. Just using a "balanced" cable won't help if the whole circuit is single ended.

The BAT preamps  are a "true" balanced design.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2004, 04:34 am »
Wayne,

Just thought of something...

When I had my two REL Strata subs, I was using a 28' and 36' ic's to connect them to my pre/pro.

I can't say that I heard a difference in the quality of the bass when it was used with the very long ic's vs. much shorter runs of speaker cable for the speaker level connection.

Just figured I would throw that out there...

George

byteme

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2004, 12:44 pm »
George,

Can't comment on the cable length, but I've got my HT and 2 channel gear integrated just the way you were/are planning on doing yours.  My preamp doesn't have HT pass thru but the next best thing - which is available for any preamp - is run the pre outs from the processor into another input on the preamp.  I set the volume, marked it with a small piece of tape and then calibrated the HT system.  Now, when listening to 2 channel, it's pure, and when listening to HT I don't have to swap anything other than changing the selection on the pre and putting the volume where it needs to be!