"I say this is the most musical solid-state design I’ve heard!" - Harry Pearson

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
MEMO: To all Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Absolute Sound Magazine HP’s Editors’ Choice Award

February 22 2011

We are extremely pleased to announce that the Bryston 28B SST² Mono Amplifier has been awarded HP’s 2011 Editors Choice Award in the February 2011 issue of the Absolute Sound Magazine – the BDP-1 Digital Player also got a mention.

Here’s what Harry had to say:

Bryston (28BSST-2 Revision) Mono-blocks

“Until this product, the emphasis at Bryston was on reliability, not sonic excellence, thus its widespread use among audio professionals, but not the denizens of the high-end world. But now, Bryston is bringing its technical wizardry to the cutting edge. (It is, as of this writing, introducing a digital player- a stand-alone that plays back raw digital data from USB thumb-drives or hard drives that can be downloaded from the Web directly, bypassing all the computer crap that mucks up ordinary downloads, reading off nothing more than the digits in their purest form.  The BDP1-1 can play back these downloaded files all the way up to 192kHz/24-bit.)

The 28B mono-block amps were the big breakthrough and have, since their introduction, gone through two updates, each providing greater purity, greater clarity (without the edge of so-called high-resolution designs), and, with the latest, the SST-2 achieving a significant retrieval of high-end “air” and ambient information, and in a much more relaxed fashion, one exhibiting more subtle dynamics, both at the micro and macro ends of the spectrum. I say this is the most musical solid-state design I’ve heard!”

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
A impressive statement even from HP.  Congratulations to Bryston.
Gustavo

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

Napalm

LAUNDREW HAZ TASTE!!!

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
LAUNDREW HAZ TASTE!!!

Mmmm... beasties  :drool:

Be well....

PRELUDE

Congratulations to BRYSTON :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
The first time I red about 28B SST was in HI-FI+ mag under "POWER MANIAC"
James,would you conceder about a limited production of 28B SST in gold face plate for Bryston anniversary edition?

jimdgoulding

Congrats.  One question . . How does HP remember every SS product he has heard?  Having said that, your amplification product (plural) would be on a very short list were I to ever go to larger, passive speakers.

Zero

I'd love to say congrats, but...

A) HP says the same thing about damn near every other product that he reviews.

B) While he gave your 28 Mono's great flowery commentary, he pretty much put down over two decades worth of Bryston product while doing so. I'm not sure I'd be particularly happy about that...

Calypte

"Until this product, the emphasis at Bryston was on reliability, not sonic excellence..."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of previous products.

PRELUDE

B) While he gave your 28 Mono's great flowery commentary, he pretty much put down over two decades worth of Bryston product while doing so. I'm not sure I'd be particularly happy about that...
I absolutly agree with you.I have been using Brystons for over 17 years and did almost anything you want to name and did not see any problem but this mags are not for information any more but like entertainment.

2bigears

:D  nice looking amps with great sound.....wish i had 15 grand.bet they work well with Maggies :thumb: :D

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature

Open Letter to Harry Pearson :

Dear Harry :   Buy a pair. Jerry Seigel of 10 Audio loved the 7B SST2 when he reviewed them so he put his
                   money where his mouth was and he bought a pair. That impressed me.   
                   This... not so much. Unless you buy a pair.
                   So, to sum up, Harry : buy a pair. Show all your audiophile buddies and the audiophile community at large that you really mean what you're saying in this review and buy a pair of what you apparently thought of up 'til now as DJ amps unfit for your rack. Buy a pair for your own personal system because you would accept nothing less than the finest solid state design you've ever heard and now you've heard them so you must want them in your own shrine to audio excellence, right Harry?  Cuz you're not just yappin', are you Harry?

D.D.

PS :  Feel free to post a pic of your new 28's when you get them set up. We're all dying to see them. Did you get handles or no handles? Congrats in advance cuz I'm with you, Harry - they're really great amps.

larevoj

Its nice to see reviews on Bryston but in the end it has to deliver and it has!   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Diamond Dog idea seems reasonable.   Also I always wish to know what are the equips in the HP personal system in his house, which he bough with his own money.
Gustavo

> Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Yes, words are cheaper than deeds. :peek:

JohnR

That doesn't make any sense at all. He's reviewing it, reviewers can't possibly buy every piece of equipment that they like. if you want to know what customers think then ask customers (here for example).

Open Letter to Harry Pearson :

Dear Harry :   Buy a pair. Jerry Seigel of 10 Audio loved the 7B SST2 when he reviewed them so he put his
                   money where his mouth was and he bought a pair. That impressed me.   
                   This... not so much. Unless you buy a pair.
                   So, to sum up, Harry : buy a pair. Show all your audiophile buddies and the audiophile community at large that you really mean what you're saying in this review and buy a pair of what you apparently thought of up 'til now as DJ amps unfit for your rack. Buy a pair for your own personal system because you would accept nothing less than the finest solid state design you've ever heard and now you've heard them so you must want them in your own shrine to audio excellence, right Harry?  Cuz you're not just yappin', are you Harry?

D.D.

PS :  Feel free to post a pic of your new 28's when you get them set up. We're all dying to see them. Did you get handles or no handles? Congrats in advance cuz I'm with you, Harry - they're really great amps.

Stu Pitt

Congratulations on yet another award, James.  It seems like every piece in your current line-up has won at least one major award*.   I've said it a few times in the past, you could very well be the hottest company in the business.

* Not a tongue in cheek comment at all.  I know the naysayers will say the awards are meaningless, there's too many awards, every product gets raved about, etc.  To all that and them, I ask - why turn a positive thread into a negative one EVERY TIME?   I understand the comments/criticism, but fo we have to make the guy feel like it's meaningless every time?   He knows the usual complaints, no need for it all the time.

Just my opinions.

Again, congrats James.  All the hard work by your crew and you are paying off.

PS - An anniversary edition was mentioned in this thread.  Is there an anniversary coming up?  How many years and when?  And if so, any plans for a special product/edition of something?   That would be cool. 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Congratulations on yet another award, James.  It seems like every piece in your current line-up has won at least one major award*.   I've said it a few times in the past, you could very well be the hottest company in the business.

* Not a tongue in cheek comment at all.  I know the naysayers will say the awards are meaningless, there's too many awards, every product gets raved about, etc.  To all that and them, I ask - why turn a positive thread into a negative one EVERY TIME?   I understand the comments/criticism, but fo we have to make the guy feel like it's meaningless every time?   He knows the usual complaints, no need for it all the time.

Just my opinions.

Again, congrats James.  All the hard work by your crew and you are paying off.

PS - An anniversary edition was mentioned in this thread.  Is there an anniversary coming up?  How many years and when?  And if so, any plans for a special product/edition of something?   That would be cool.

Hi Stu,

Yes I've always consider the glass half full :thumb:

We have been building amplifiers since the mid - seventies - so whats that 36 years? - loved every second of it :D

james

95Dyna

This comment by HP also insults the entire professional audio world by claiming they don't care about sonic excellemce as much as they do about reliability.

BobRex

This comment by HP also insults the entire professional audio world by claiming they don't care about sonic excellemce as much as they do about reliability.

And how many PA systems have you heard that refute this idea?  With few exceptions, every PA system I have heard has been, at best, terrible, and many didn't even get that accomplishment.

The fact remains, the PA world has different priorities than the hifi world, and they rarely bridge.

Levi

I heard the 28B and that is one sweet Bryston amp!