Eek! I put a 5751 in the 12AU7 spot in my Cornet 2 (for only about 20 seconds)

Biff

Man, don't tube roll when you're tired.  :duh:

I didn't do any damage by doing this, did I?

Thanks, all.

AVnerdguy

Most likely not. In 20 sec. it barely had time to get to operating parameters.

Biff

Thanks. So what would happen eventually? Would the tube probably fail or would it take the whole unit with it?

I wish I knew more about this sort of thing.

AVnerdguy

I briefly looked up the pin outs but I didn't look at any of the operating voltages. They are similar and that is a good thing as you didn't put plate current where it shouldn't be, high voltages etc.. I would think (but I'd have to look at it longer) that you'd damage the tube 1st if the operating voltages were significantly higher in one than the other. Again, I just quickly looked at it to give you a quick answer so you wouldn't have to fret about it. I think you're OK. I'll look at it some more later and see if there was anything vital I missed. Have you tried it since the inadvertent swap?

Biff

I appreciate that.

Yeah, I'm listening to it right now. Seems fine. Nice sounding unit.

This is the second bullet I've dodged but the first one was hairy. I put a 12AU7 in that must have had a short. It took out one channel of my amplifier, but the Cornet came through okay. I checked all of the voltages on the board (with a good 12AU7 of course), and they were correct. No DC at the outputs either. I was REALLY sweating that one.

Bought a tube tester afterwards.

AVnerdguy

OK, the 5751 doesn't disipate as much plate pwr but it was only in there for 20 sec. so most likely it's fine. That would be the the most likely problem - it would have burned up rather quickly if left on too long. I think you're good - be careful out there :wink:

Biff

It did seem pretty bright. Heh heh.

I'll do that. Much obliged, my friend.

AVnerdguy

You're most welcome. I think I'd put that 5751 away and mark the box - use it for non critical applications/emergency etc.

Biff

Oh yeah, it could be used as a 12AX7 in a pinch, so I'm told.

hagtech

No damage.  It probably played fine.

jh