Anyone see Kobe show Lebron who the REAL King is? Yikes!

jackman

To all of the people who wrote Kobe Bryant off, please see the attached link.  He had something to prove last night during the NBA All Star game and I would say he was successful.  I've never been a big fan of Kobe off the court and feel he kind've copies Michael Jordan's vocal inflection, but there is no denying his talent on the court. 

He was dominant last night and made some plays that I frankly didn't think he was capable of still making.  Boston might be a better team (might be) but Kobe deserves to be included in the best player discussion. 

I thought the East had a way better squad going into last game but they did not play together well. Even though the East made it close in the end, the West played better overall.  Please note, I fell asleep and missed the close!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Kobe-dunks-on-LeBron-in-All-Star-Game-pa?urn=nba-324079
Cheers,

Jack

Phil A

Re: Anyone see Kobe show Lebron who the REAL King is? Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2011, 07:28 pm »
There's no doubt he's a great player.  He is only 32 and number 8 in all time scoring and will be number 6 before the end of the year.  He's number 20 in 3 pointers made and he'll also move up a few before the end of the year.  The championships, regardless of who he played with (no one can do it alone), demonstrate he works well within a team framework

soundbitten1

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2011, 07:30 pm »
No one can write off Kobe Bryant and the Lakers until they are unseated. Didn't they just beat the Celtics in Boston about a week ago? I look for the Bulls & Heat to make some noise in the playoffs this year along with the perennial teams.

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2011, 09:09 pm »
Are you serious, it's all all-star game.  That article is a joke, to title it Kobe dunks on Lebron. Classic false advertising, bait and switch internet gotcha headlines to get a hit.  I watched the game, Kobe game out firing.  It was said he wanted to win MVP, it's on his home court, so he came out shooting and played fairly aggressive while everyone else was loafing along.  Durant with his steady scoring (about 30) and Chris Paul with his steals and fast breaks won the West the game.  Lebron seemed to be the only one really trying to win for most of the game.  The Celtics barely played, Wade got hurt and Howard was a non factor.  The talent level is even with maybe an edge to the West.  It was fun to watch.

Kobe played well and there was or should never be a question he is the top or one of the top players until proven otherwise.

"He wanted to get the MVP," said Stoudemire. "He was not passing the ball, at all. But that's Kobe."

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:07 pm »
No one can write off Kobe Bryant and the Lakers until they are unseated. Didn't they just beat the Celtics in Boston about a week ago? I look for the Bulls & Heat to make some noise in the playoffs this year along with the perennial teams.

I agree regarding the Bulls and Heat.  The Heat may have troubles in a long series because they lack depth but they have some firepower that will be hard to stop.  The Bulls have played without Noah for most of the year and without Boozer for the early part of the season (he was out with a broken hand).  I can't wait to see what this team does with a full lineup.  Noah is a fun player to watch because he plays excellent defense and has tons of energy. Reminds me of Dennis Rodman (or maybe Rodman Light because Noah still has a long way to go to get to Rodman's level). 

Lastly, Derrick Rose is a star in the making.  He is, in my humble and completely unbiased opinion, the best point guard in the game and is only getting better.  The Bulls need to find a halfway-decent 2 guard (Brewer and Korver suck) but I love the way they play defense and Boozer is giving them the 20 and 10 they expected.  Derrick Rose is worth the price of admission and the Bulls could surprise some people in the playoffs this year. 

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:19 pm »
Hey Launche, we probably agree more than we disagree!  I'm just saying that everyone in the media has annointed Lebron "King" and I don't think it's fair to guys like Kobe.  Last night's game was fun to watch, even though it was an exhibition. 

About a week ago, I watched Derrick Rose completely school Chris Paul at the United Center.  Rose dominated that game and made Paul look slow - something I never thought I would see.  Rose looked disinterested last night and did not have his best game.  That was not the case last week when he dropped 42 on Tony Parker and the Spurs. 

Rose has the potential to score 30 a night, as soon as he starts to get some of those "All Star" ticky tack fouls that put D Wade on the line 9 or 10 times a night.  This is the main reason I was happy to see Derrick elected to starting point guard.  Maybe he will start getting some calls when he drives the lane.  This kid is a monster player and a good guy off the court.  Hopefully fame will not change that part. 

I hope the Bulls play the Heat in the playoffs this year.  Not saying they would win but it would be a fun series to watch because they have some athletic players.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2011, 02:26 am »
Yeah, I saw it.  :D

I remember when Michael Jordan came on the scene and they asked another MJ what he thought about the buzz. Magic Johnson said something to the effect of "He's a great player, but I have something he doesn't." When asked, Magic held up his right hand and he was wearing five Championship rings.

Jordan went on to get six. He won three-straight twice. He has three All Star MVP trophies. Magic only has two. Wow.  :o

Kobe has five Championships. He's two-thirds of the way to winning three-straight twice. He has four All Star MVP awards.

Lebron? He has a long way to go.  :thumb:

Go Lakers,
Jerry

launche

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2011, 04:47 pm »
I agree with Jerry,  Kobe should hardly be bothered or offended by whatever attention Lebron or anyone else gets.  It's the rings that count.  It's all a cycle, people were saying the same things about Kobe when he was ascending, now he's accomplished and the elder statesmen of the group. Lebron, Wade, Carmelo, Paul, Rose etc... all understand Kobe's success is where they want to be.  The media job is it get viewers, hits and rating.  They create stories where there are none just to get viewers for that 24 hr news cycle.  It's all too much and overly saturated. Once you understand how it all works it's hard to take 90% it seriously.

Derrick Rose is a sensation.  The ping-pong ball fell wrong for Miami as he could has been there instead of Beasley.  Chicago is a forced to be reckoned with and Miami and Boston I'm sure are a bit nervous.  Chicago is flying under the radar while Miami and Boston get all the headlines.  I think Chicago could beat either of them in seven games.  Rose for some reason hasn't learned to play well with other good players outside of his team.  Watching him during the Olympics he look solid but not really good.  You would have had no idea he was going to come back and has this MVP type of season (IMO he's been the first half MVP).  Kobe and the Laker are a bit bored is likely all it is but they recognized the true challenges the Spurs and Mav's present and I suspect they will get more focused in the second half.  The Mav's could win it all this year.  They are very deep and built to win this year.  If they don't make the Finals this year then I have to question whether Dirk is that guy.

Even if you look at Yahoo's home page they retread stories every 3-6 months and portray it like it's fresh news.  I was laughing to my myself about as hey had a story about a sea creature which I must have seen about 2-3 times now but they present it like it happened yesterday.  Another story of an actress caught without make up, now I know the actress and actually the picture is maybe 5 yrs old and they are portraying it like someone just took the picture a few days ago.  All the misleading titles and so on, a complete joke.  We get played for suckers on a daily basis.  Their job is less about reporting actual news as it is about making something newsworthy.  We live in a smoke and mirrors society.

soundbitten1

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2011, 08:12 pm »
Yee Haw !!! The Knicks just completed a blockbuster trade for Carmelo Anthony and Chauncy Billups so you can add them to the list.   :thumb:

Berto

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2011, 08:27 pm »
Yee Haw !!! The Knicks just completed a blockbuster trade for Carmelo Anthony and Chauncy Billups so you can add them to the list.   :thumb:

NY is a buzzin! I CANNOT wait to go to MSG to see our new all-star addition!  :D Like to see us get Tony Parker next year when he comes up for free agency.

launche

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2011, 08:31 pm »
I think Carmelo is the best all around scorer in the game.  But those guys and the coach don't know the meaning of defense.  Something will have to change.  But it does make NY relevant again.  They're be the Phoenix of the East, if you don't stay disciplined they'll beat you but just play some defense and only run on occasion and good teams should beat them. They now have to find the 3 pt shooters to really make the system fully work.

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:37 pm »
I think Carmelo is the best all around scorer in the game.  But those guys and the coach don't know the meaning of defense.  Something will have to change.  But it does make NY relevant again.  They're be the Phoenix of the East, if you don't stay disciplined they'll beat you but just play some defense and only run on occasion and good teams should beat them. They now have to find the 3 pt shooters to really make the system fully work.

By the way, I agree with everything in your previous post but have to disagree about Carmelo.  He should be able to score with the NY Knicks and I don't expect him to play any defense, but I don't think he's the best scorer in the game.  I would say Kevin Durant gets my vote for that category.  Lebron could easily be top scorer but he is well rounded and not selfish like some of the top scorers.  Durant is a killer and is only getting better.  Carmello is definately in the top 5. 

When Carmello gets into a rhythm, he can score effortlessly.  I recall several of his games that I watched and was surprised to check the box score and see he scored 30 or more, because it didn't look like he worked hard to do it.  He can also create his own shots so I expect him to get into the swing of things very quickly in NYC.  I'm a bit surprised the Nuggets traded Billups.  He is a classy player and a great point guard.  Not as quick as he once was and becoming a liability on the defensive side, he brings leadership and high B-ball IQ.  The Knicks could be interesting. 

Noah is coming back for the Bulls soon, and I expect them to step it up on the defensive side as soon as he gets his legs back.  D-Rose is the star and leader of this team but Noah is the heart.  He is a hard worker who brings tons of energy to the game. 

The Bulls still need a shooting guard to make teams who double-team D-Rose pay.  Also, Rose would have so many more assists if guys on the Bulls could hit open shots.  It makes me laugh when people compare Rose to Rhondo (although not many people who know basketball are comparing the two these days) because Rhondo has so many great players to pass the ball to (three hall of famers).  Boozer is the first legitimate scorer Rose has ever had to pass the ball to.  Unfortunately, he is mainly an inside player.  If the Bulls find a player who can hit an open jumper, look out!

Cheers,

J

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2011, 09:50 pm »
I forgot one last thing (my original point!).  I'm really surprised the Knicks took Chauncey Billups because he does not run the type of offense D'Antoni usually runs.  Isn't he the coach who ran the fast paced offense with the likes of Steve Nash?  Billups is a slow footed guy who is fundamentally sound and a great team leader but he's not an open court guy.  Also, Stoudemire and Anthony are very athletic.  Having a half-court ball control type of point guard doesn't seem to make sense in D'antoni's offense. 

Although I will be watching this new Knick team, I can't see them beating Boston because the Celtics play defense.  D'Antoni's teams never played defense and he just signed a one dimensional player in Mello, and gave up a lot to get him.  They also say they are keeping Billups, who, at 34, is on the tail end of his career.  This team will beat the weaker teams in the east but I don't see them getting by Boston or Miami.  It's way more interesting if I'm wrong!

Cheers,
J

TheChairGuy

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2011, 02:19 am »
Yeah, I don't see this trade as particularly good for the Knicks, either.

Felton, Fields and Gallinari are emerging stars....they got one guy in his prime ('Melo) and an aging guard (Billups) who wants to stay in Denver, essentially, in return.  Less is known of Mosgov...but, he's young and 7' tall. They ave up 2014 draft pick or two, as well, I think.

Mosgov also lives in NY's Coney Island (where his Russian girlfriend is) where there is a strong Russian immigrant population so he's comfortable there...doubtful there is anything like this in Denver.

The Corey Brewer piece from Minnesota is far more enticing than Billups....he has shown flashes of brilliance and maybe a powerful 3rd offensive option for the new Knicks.

I'm really surprised Gallinari was on the menu....D'Antoni played in Italy alongside his Dad and has been something of a surrogate father to him in his time in NY :scratch:

Ya' never know about these things...but I think D'Antoni's run-n-gun offense to the detriment of defense will never win championships.....as Paul Westphal paved that path before him. Defense, particularly at the end of a long season  that extends to as many as 100 games for some...wins championships.

The Celtics and Spurs seem to be playing the best D in the NBA today.

John

Berto

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2011, 03:03 am »
We kept Fields, got rid of Chandler and gave up our first round pick in 2014. I was'nt too thrilled with Felton at point, too inconsistent and didnt live up to being #5 pick in 05 draft. Although Billups is at the end of his career he has more playoff experience then all the Knicks combined.

Gallinari is good, but far from the superstar Melo is. Tony Parker will be a free agent next year and I think Walsh and co. have there sights set on him.  More free agents will look twice at joining the Knicks as talent attracts more talent.

launche

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2011, 05:32 pm »
I stand by me Carmelo best "all around" scorer comment.  Durant can score for sure and what makes him so good is that sweet stroke he has.  But Carmelo can score all over the floor in all sorts of ways.  He can be an absolute terror in the mid-post and paint which is what mainly sets him apart.  None of those other top scoring guards can do the post or inside work Carmelo can.  Durant is a long, long way away from that. Lebron should be destroying people in the post but he's been reluctant to mix it up and Miami is trying to warm him up to it.  If he ever just commits to it his game will go to that next level which is a little scary.  But he's been doing it more recently and developing a drop step and hook shot.

The Knicks need Billups to calm the storm and provide that steady hand.  Yes he's older but I think he's smart and crafty enough to figure it out.  Maybe it will be good for them to slow down a bit.  I don't know how much cap space they have fro one more big name.  But they had to do it, they've been basically irrelevant for almost the last 10 yrs.  Why not try something different and take a risk how much worse can they be.  When Boston fades then they will be among the contenders with Miami, Chicago and Atlanta.  I think Orlando is on the down slide with Howard soon to leave, scary thing is I could say the Laker's getting Howard in 2 yrs and I may just have to wonder who keeps selling themselves to the devil for the Laker's to have such good fortune.

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:46 pm »
Hey, I can't argue with any of your points on Melo.  He has a well rounded offensive game and is very talented.  I'd still take Durant at this stage of the game because I think we've seen everything Carmelo has to offer and Durant (a better scorer and player IMO) is still on the upswing. Durant has already averaged over 30 per game, something Carmelo has never done.  Also, for a guy who lacks Anthony's inside game, Durant gets to the line more often and he is a much better FT shooter.  One of the best.  I really like this kid and look forward for his game to mature and improve!

If Lebron decided to play to his seemingly limitless potential, I can't imagine how many points he would score.  Either way, scoring points is only one facet of his brilliant game. 

Billups was absolutely schooled in last year's playoffs by Deron Williams.  He was made to look OLD and slow...really slow.  I can't imagine what D-Rose will do to him if they meet in this year's playoffs.  Rose makes Williams look slow. 

Cheers,

J

soundbitten1

« Reply #17 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:53 pm »
The Knicks now need a big man in the middle to rebound, set picks and be a defensive presence.

launche

« Reply #18 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:06 pm »
The Knicks now need a big man in the middle to rebound, set picks and be a defensive presence.

Don't they all.

You won't find me arguing against Durant, he's damn good.  That Westbrook fella 'ain't so bad either.  I looking forward to seeing how that team progresses.

jackman

« Reply #19 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:30 pm »
Don't they all.

You won't find me arguing against Durant, he's damn good.  That Westbrook fella 'ain't so bad either.  I looking forward to seeing how that team progresses.

Ohhhh, Westbrook is one of my favorite young players since his college days.  Great all-around game, and he plays defense!  I'd take him any day over Melo (I know that's not the question) and I put him in the same category as D-Rose.  Rose is a more explosive scorer (and my number 1 favorite young player) but Westbrook is slightly better on defensive side.  Either way, great young player.