James Tanner's maggie set-up?

Ron D

James Tanner's maggie set-up?
« on: 21 Feb 2011, 07:05 pm »
tried to find this info via search function but couldn't locate it...

James - can you advise as to the distance each speaker is from each other and their respective distances from your listening position?

Toe in ? - pointing directly at you as Magnepan suggests?

Is your placement of the 1.7's vastly different from your 1.6's you used to own? Just wondering as I have read that the tweeter area is now recommended on the inside as opposed to on the outside on the 1.6's albeit people have their own preferences...

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: James Tanner's maggie set-up?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:20 pm »
Hi Ron,

I try in most set-ups to make an equal lateral triangle between the speaker distance apart and the listening distance.  I really like a wide soundstage so I am guilty of placing the speakers further apart than I should to maintain a sharp center image  - (by the way the 3 channel stereo demos by Magnepan really help maintain the center a lot better so that may be where I go eventually)

Yes the MG-1.7 is designed so that the best impulse response is when you`re sitting on axis with the tweeter whereas the MG-1.6 has the tweeter pointing over the respective left and right shoulder. With the tweeters on the outside you get a wider listening area but less focus. I have them set-up with the tweeters on the outside and toed in significantly.

james
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2011, 12:39 pm by James Tanner »