Emerson Lake & Palmer: Brain Salad Surgery

JoshK

« on: 23 Mar 2004, 02:14 am »
Listening to Emerson Lake & Palmer: Brain Salad Surgery and can't say I really dig it.  Hard to find any real structure to half the songs.  No melody that I can detect. Lyrics are kinda weak, almost laughable at times.  I thought this was suppose to be such a great album.  I don't see it.   :roll:

By the way, if someone wants to buy a really good quality ELP BSS LP drop me a PM.

Tbadder1

« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2004, 05:34 am »
I love this album, so overindulgent, so prog.  But you know what, you're right.  It's a perfectly awful piece of work, bordering on embarrassing at times, and without a doubt, very dated.

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2004, 05:35 am »
If this was your first taste of ELP its regretable that you didn't try 'Pictures at an Exhibition' first or 'Welcome back my friends to the Show that Never Ends'.  These are their two best albums. But having said this, their music may not appeal to you anyway. I haven't heard 'Brain Salad Surgery' so I can't comment on that album.
    'Pictures at an Ex' could be but not certain, the first time that a syntheseiser was ever used in a live performance. Although this album has been critized by some comparing it to the classical version, this was real genius work by Keith Emersons to pull off this masterpiece on an antique synth, and should be listened too in that context.
  'Show that never Ends' was their best performance ever! 'Works' had some  good songs but overall was disappointing compared to these two albums.
   ELP were the pioneers of synth music along with Kraftwerk. If analog syntheseiser music appeals to you then I urge you to give these albums a listen. If you still don't like their stuff then I guess this music is not your cupof tea.   :nono:

DeadFish

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2004, 06:51 am »
I have to agree with Mag that if you want any relationship with ELP at all, you gotta start with their very first album with Lucky Man on it.
PAE is real nice an letting you in on the idea of them live.

Without a doubt, the band itself is dated and symbolic of the excesses of the time along side of the primitivism of the electronics.   Part of what makes it so deliscious, in its time and place.  Nothing like seeing Keith Emerson jam some knives into his keyboard to rev up an audiance of neanderthal stoners!  :wink:  
I know I was grinning!  8)
Brain Salad is certainly an 'acquired taste'.
I didn't like it for a while and eventually it was the first store-bought cassette I ever had for my car.  It certainly caters to the extremes, and you have to remember that the pain of some of it aurally was just another variable to the music in the birthing electronic age.  We didn't plan on the tinitus lasting the rest of our lives....

On another note, Mag, Walter Carlos did a tour in 1968 or so, when the hormones announcing the coming of Wendy Carlos were starting to come on.  Saw him playing in front of the St. Louis Symphony with the Moog.
For any fans of his "Switched On Bach", he had done a Brandenberg Conterto, and in concert, the Symphony played the original Bach first movement, Carlos played his 2nd, invented movement, then the 3rd and most triumphal movement was the Symphony and Carlos together.  Outstanding!

Well, I guess you didn't plan on a 34 year old review when you read this thread, didja?  :D

Thanks for tuning in. I'll shutup now.

Regards,
DF

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2004, 06:55 am »
An oldie but goodie , The Nice. Keith Emerson's band before ELP. Worth checking out ! :)

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2004, 04:09 pm »
Does it have the die-cut cover Josh?  I bought a somewhat roughed up used copy years ago but never paid the music much attention until recently.  I really dig the "Jerusalem" melody.  Normally church tunes are rather dull, but that one I like.  I suppose if I was British I might roll my eyes though.  If it wasn't for the Giger cover there's no way in hell I'd ever have bought it.  It is albums like these for which I mourn the loss of vinyl from the public consciousness. :cry:

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2004, 04:17 pm »
What's die-cut?  It has a fold out cover with a skeletal framing of a face.

ohenry

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2004, 07:24 pm »
I always thought that "Tarkus" was pretty cool back in the day.  So much of the progressive rock from the early seventies is hard to listen to now, but it is fun to recall the days of Keith riding an elevated spinning grand piano (turning 360's).  Or to hear Carl Palmer's technically great drumming.

A similar sounding band to check out is "Triumvirat" from Germany.  I recall the recordings to be better than ELP's, but the music to be lacking except for a tune entitled "Sparticus".

Dmason

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2004, 08:38 pm »
Brain Salad Surgery has always been considered a cornerstone album in the progressive rock scene. To those who got in on it, the tour which supported this album was one of the first BIG rock shows!

While the sound is abit dated, what remains is the technical genius of Emerson and Palmer, their use of syncopation, and a true fusion of classical, rock, and jazz styles. No one has ever been able to come close to Keith Emerson. He can play rings around just about anyone, in any style.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2004, 09:29 pm »
Tarkus or Trilogy are my two favorite ELP albums. I went to see them in 1977 and they were a consumate show bad. Most of their music was grandstanding to show off Keith Emerson's keyboard prowess and Carl Palmer's drumming. Greg Lake's tunes were probably the best in terms of lyrics and melodic appeal for FM radio.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2004, 09:31 pm »
Quote from: ohenry
I always thought that "Tarkus" was pretty cool back in the day.  So much of the progressive rock from the early seventies is hard to listen to now, but it is fun to recall the days of Keith riding an elevated spinning grand piano (turning 360's).  Or to hear Carl Palmer's technically great drumming.

A similar sounding band to check out is "Triumvirat" from Germany.  I recall the recordings to be better than ELP's, but the music to be lacking except for a tune entitled "Sparticus".

Triumvirat - man that brings back memories  :)

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2004, 10:41 pm »
Quote from: Dmason
No one has ever been able to come close to Keith Emerson. He can play rings around just about anyone, in any style.

I think Rick Wakeman might take issue with this statement...  :o

hmen

« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2004, 11:02 pm »
After reading these posts I just put on the CD. I still enjoy it.  I can see how someone who grew up in the digital age might find it kind of hokey. I guess you had to be there at the time (the bongs and blacklight posters might have also helped a little back then).

Dmason

« Reply #13 on: 25 Mar 2004, 11:10 pm »
The statement stands. Emerson is truly versatile. An excellent jazz, blues, rock, classical, -- you name it player. Speaking as a keyboardist myself, Rick Wakeman wouldn't know a blue note if it kicked him in the ass. Wakeman is fantastic as well, and a long time favorite of mine, but within the context of YES' music. He makes that band pure magic, and in my opinion, live, YES blows ELP out of the water. I am delighted to say that I am going to see YES with Wakeman in three weeks.

Quality never goes out of style. I have also met both individuals over the years, and they are true gentlemen and wonderful, humble people.

boxhead

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2004, 03:48 am »
Saw ELP when they did the Welcome show and then the Works show with the orchestra. Truly a sight to see. Seen Yes many times as well and they have a better sound. Relayer was a great show. Triumvirat-Illusions on a Double Dimple and Pompeii! Not one mention of Tomita's Firebird Suite.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2004, 03:57 am »
Quote from: boxhead
Saw ELP when they did the Welcome show and then the Works show with the orchestra. Truly a sight to see. Seen Yes many times as well and they have a better sound. Relayer was a great show. Triumvirat-Illusions on a Double Dimple and Pompeii! Not one mention of Tomita's Firebird Suite.

I think Curt Cress played on Pompei. He's a great drummer - I always liked his work with Passport. triumvirat sounded more like ELP than ELP did at times  :)

hmen

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2004, 06:32 am »
I think Yes' music better stands the test of time than ELP. ELP still put out some great stuff.