Import Duty On Amps Shipped To USA?

Nick V

« on: 23 Mar 2004, 01:20 am »
I have some LeAmp II's on order and didn't consider if there is duty that has to be paid in addition to the cost of the amps and shipping.  How much would it be for items shipped to Long Beach, CA?  Also, any more comments about the LeAmps now in use?  Thanks.

Gary
I61

jptang

no duty
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2004, 07:25 pm »
i received my SE9 and 4.0 speakers with no additional duty, fees, taxes or shipping charges in california.

yeldarb

duty
« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2004, 05:45 pm »
I got hit with 4.5 % on pair of Le Amps II.  UPS to WV, USA.  I wish that nOrh (or anyone who knows) would post where duty required and where not.

HarleyMYK

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2004, 07:10 pm »
I paid no duty on mine coming into California.

Rocket

import duties
« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2004, 10:53 pm »
Hi,

Typically in oz you are hit with a 15% import and gst tax on all goods.

Plus dhl express charge a customs fee of about $150 which is why i have everything sent to me by priority mail or shipped by sea.

It seems like you guys don't pay too much in taxes.

regards

rod

Curt

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2004, 11:39 am »
Goods manufactured in Thailand (most goods, audio components included) can be imported into the US duty free. America has a special agreement with about 140 countries to help them grow their export businesses, Thailand is one of those lucky countries.

The shipping companies (UPS/FedEx) usually know this but sometimes they mass clear many packages and pay duty on shipments from Thailand, even though it is not due. This is when they charge you, when they make that mistake. It's easier to charge you than to apply to get the Duty back. But... you can protest and get it back after some time and some hassle.

We ship from Thailand to the US all the time, and never have had to pay import duty. Some handling fees or taxes may be due but never Customs duties.

yeldarb

dutys
« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2004, 01:57 pm »
I have written UPS requesting refund of improperly collected duty.  I will post results.  Thank you for the information, Curt.

yeldarb

refund of duty
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2004, 01:32 pm »
I have just written UPS for the 2nd time in my attempt to get incorrectly collected duty refunded.  No luck thus far. :(

Curt

Re: refund of duty
« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2004, 03:02 pm »
Quote from: yeldarb
I have just written UPS for the 2nd time in my attempt to get incorrectly collected duty refunded.  No luck thus far. :(

Once a Custom's Duty is paid (even when it's not required) it's difficult to get the money back. Lot's of paperwork. It's too much work for the shipping company (UPS/FedEx) especially since they receive no additional profit, only an expense getting working to get your money back.

Usually they drag things out until you get tired of asking, they know most people give up after a couple tries.

It's really best to get things right the first time. To advise a shipping company when the goods are coming in that the they are Duty Free, before they "mass clear" the goods and wrongly pay Duty. Also the receiver (you) needs to make sure it states, on the seller's invoice, the Harmonized Tariff Code number and GSP eligibility statement. You can request this from the seller.

yeldarb

« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2005, 03:39 pm »
It took well over a year and several letters and e-mails, but I finally got a refund of the customs duty that UPS incorrectly collected.  It pays to be a pain in the ass :D .

Curt

« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2005, 05:21 pm »
Quote from: yeldarb
It took well over a year and several letters and e-mails, but I finally got a refund of the customs duty that UPS incorrectly collected.  It pays to be a pain in the ass :D .

Good work. It did take them a long time to work this out.

We need to keep the shipping companies in line, they are a messy undisciplined bunch and they do make a lot of costly mistakes.

Most times it can be best to notify them in advance with the tracking number to head off possible mistakes.

Congratulations!

rbrb

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2005, 04:56 am »
UPS and FED EX are the worst offenders.  It is not done by mistake.  They will even charge a customs broker fee and duty for stuff coming into Canada from the U.S even though it's built in the USA and we have a free trade agreement.

It's a huge scam that puts tons of $$$$ in their pockets.  UPS was first now FED EX has followed suit

beatdownvictim

• http://DOULIK.COM
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2005, 05:36 am »
yay, just wait til usps figures this out, we up here in canada are screwed.

DeanSheen

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2005, 01:19 pm »
Quote from: rbrb
UPS and FED EX are the worst offenders.  It is not done by mistake.  They will even charge a customs broker fee and duty for stuff coming into Canada from the U.S even though it's built in the USA and we have a free trade agreement.

It's a huge scam that puts tons of $$$$ in their pockets.  UPS was first now FED EX has followed suit

I just got a pair of the floorstanding prims for my dad and they didnt try anything.  I have received many Norh products direct and only had a hassle with UPS 1 time.  They even sent me a bill but I refused to pay and raised hell.