HT1 PLUS Subwoofer compared to HT3's

Rocket

HT1 PLUS Subwoofer compared to HT3's
« on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:41 pm »
Hi Jim,

I haven't read much about these subwoofers.  I'm wonder how they compare when using the ht1's plus the subwoofer modules to the HT3 speakers.

http://www.salksound.com/hts%20subwoofer.htm

Regards

Rod

Nuance

Re: HT1 PLUS Subwoofer compared to HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2011, 02:57 pm »
That's a great question.  I too am looking forward to the answer to this one.

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2011, 03:00 pm »
That would be an interesting comparison.

I see the sub for the HT1 is a sealed design while the HT3 is a ported design.  I might expect the bass characteristics to be a little different between the two.  Also, you might be able to place the sealed sub closer to the wall than the ported design without the bass getting too boomy.

I'm sure Jim could give you a good idea of the actual differences.

winston1156

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2011, 12:30 am »
Very interesting thread.   

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2011, 01:42 am »
Seems to me,   for music it would more ideal for the HT3 speaker crossover to dictate the lower freq. sound.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2011, 01:48 am »
Hi,

I think that the interesting part regarding this speaker design of the ht1 + subwoofer is it can be ordered with a plate amplifier.  It would be my hope that an amplifier rated at about 120 watts could be used to drive the ht1's and use the subwoofer with plate amplifier.

I also haven't heard any comments regarding this speaker design and thought it would be an interesting topic.

Regards

Rod

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:05 pm »
There are a few issues here.

First, it SHOULD be possible to get nearly the same results with the HT1/HTS combination as with the HT3's.  But it will take a little work to get there.

The phase and gain on the HTS sub modules will have to be set up perfect.  This is all controlled in the crossover of the HT3's.

The midrange of the HT3's will probably be a little cleaner at high power since the W18 is only used for midrange duty - not bass duty.  With the HT1/HTS combo, you would most likely run the HT1's down to meet the sub and normal plate amps only go up to about 150Hz.  In this case, the W18's would be playing quite a bit deeper, thus impacting distortion levels somewhat more at higher volumes.

Finally, when you consider the cost of a pair of HT1's and HTS subwoofer modules, it almost makes more sense to go with the HT3's.  Since everything is controlled in the crossover, it is basically plug and play vs. a lot of work tuning with the HT1/HTS setup.

The HTS subwoofers were designed primarily for customers who already had HT1's.

I hope that makes sense.

- Jim

ratso

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:48 am »
there's been a few discussions about this over the years (search for HTS).

here's one:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59858.0