Is 45 RPM really "better"?

2gumby2

Is 45 RPM really "better"?
« on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:07 pm »
I received information from Acoustic Sounds that they are releasing Fleetwood Mac Rumours in 45 RPM. Is there a reason that 45 RPM would be better than 33 1/3?

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Is 45 RPM really "better"?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:19 pm »
Hi,
Yes it could be. With the disk spinning faster there is less information per unit of vinyl. Similar to a reel to reel - fast speed vs slow speed.

neo

dlaloum

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:21 pm »
For the same reason that the very best LP's are recorded at half or 2/3 speed....

Yes 45rpm theoretically gives better sound.

And 78 rpm is even better....

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:38 pm »
I have many 12" 45 RPMs that have "beyond" sonic qualities as well as better dynamic range, especially in the inner grooves. As the record spins at a constant speed, as the tone arm gets closer to the center, there is less room to put the same amount of music in. It's slowly becoming more and more compressed (for space). The higher speed helps to improve this situation because there is simply more real estate to put groove modulations. The down side to all of this is the playing time is basically cut by about 3/4th, so then rather then getting say 22 minutes per side, you end up with about 16 minutes.

Wayner

Wayner

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:41 pm »
I listened to a little "FM" on vinyl last night (City of Fear, Black Noise). Very excellent.

Wayner

DaveyW

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:58 pm »
What's everyone's thoughts on background noise on 45's?
I tend to find it more noticeable, sometimes to the point of offsetting the benefits.

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:27 pm »
I have experienced more noise on the smaller, usual 45 singles, but I have found that as the music starts on any of the 12" records, the surface noise is gone, buried by the music. It also helps if you have a record that hasn't been played lots of times. Lots of 12" 45s where promotional singles for radio stations, and may have seen quiet a bit of play (if you bought some used), and certainly were abused when they were not on the platter, as part of the DJs rubble. New 12" LPs are very fun (and generally surface noise free) to listen to. I wish I could afford more, but generally they are sold having 2 LPs because of the limited playing time, and those records usually sell for $50 and up.

Oops, 5,000th post, OM.

Wayner

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:44 pm »
And 78 rpm is even better....

:green:   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Minn Mark

« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2011, 04:29 pm »
On my TT (SOTA Comet with Sumiko Blackbird) and the 45 LP set -- Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass' "Take Love Easy", the compliance of the tonearm and cart seems an issue at 45 rpm. I get occassional glaring and breakup at high levels ( I thnk the performance was recorded or transferred a little 'hot'), so I would consider this when looking at the more expensive 45 LPs sets.   I like vinyl, but if I could get Fleetwood Mac on SACD or other high rez digital, I'd probably consider those as well (esp with the right DAC). It is also a pain when there are only sometime 3 cuts on a side at 45 rpm---you're out of your listening chair a lot. Now, on Laurindo Almeida/Charlie Byrd "Tango" at 45 rpm they are way cool. Probably the best vinyl recording I have for the 'in the room with you' experience.

Cheers,

Mark

jazdoc

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:03 pm »
As always, attention to detail and overall quality makes a difference.  I can highly recommend the MusicMatters Blue Note reissues and Analogue Productions 45 rpm reissues.

*Scotty*

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2011, 10:37 pm »
I have to cast my vote for 45 RPM records. My Denon 45 RPMs and my 45 RPM Charlie Bryd Direct to Disc recording from Crystal Clear are probably the best recordings in my small collection of vinyl. They have the best dynamic range and the lowest noise followed by my other Direct to Disc records from Sheffield Labs and M&K.
Scotty