Looking for a low watt class a amp

daddydoom

Looking for a low watt class a amp
« on: 19 Feb 2011, 02:49 am »
I am looking for a low watt class A stereo amp. Somewhere around 100 watts per. I am looking for quality not quanity. No sense in paying for watts i won't need. Space for the amp is at a minimum. That is why i need a stereo amp. If the mono was small enough i could possibly go with that. Most class A amps i have looked at are huge. A dual mono would be nice. I have just started my search. A list of suggestion would  expedite things. My budget is under 10k. New or used.

As always your help is appreciated.

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Looking for a low watt class a amp
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2011, 02:59 am »
I would think any class A amp putting out 100+ watts is going to be substantial. It takes rather large heat sinks to dissipate the heat.

werd

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2011, 03:08 am »
Most class A in solid state doesn't really reach a 100 watts. Not that i have seen. You might be looking for class A in pentode tube amps? Probably what you are asking for.

pardales

« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2011, 03:27 am »
Most class A in solid state doesn't really reach a 100 watts. Not that i have seen. You might be looking for class A in pentode tube amps? Probably what you are asking for.

Yeah. You might be thinking of something else. Better get clarification. 100 watts is not low.

daddydoom

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2011, 03:42 am »
I know that 100 watts is asking a lot, but it was just a limit. I have been looking at the Pass XA 30.5. Something like that is what i have been looking for. I know that i don't want to go tubes.

As long as it is a stereo amp i should have plenty of room. Just not for 2 units. My speaker placement doesn't leave room for mono's the size of the pass amp. Something that stands up may work. Something like the levinson.

werd

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2011, 03:59 am »
I know that 100 watts is asking a lot, but it was just a limit. I have been looking at the Pass XA 30.5. Something like that is what i have been looking for. I know that i don't want to go tubes.

As long as it is a stereo amp i should have plenty of room. Just not for 2 units. My speaker placement doesn't leave room for mono's the size of the pass amp. Something that stands up may work. Something like the levinson.

That looks like a nice amp to build your system around. The luxman have another class a in solidstate too but i think its over 10k.

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2011, 04:24 am »
If you are open to integrateds, the Luxman L-590 A II comes in at 30 class A solid state watts.

jeffh

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2011, 04:32 am »

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2011, 04:39 am »
I am looking for a low watt class A stereo amp. Somewhere around 100 watts per.....

Hey!

Wow! When did 100wpc amps are considered a "low watt" amp? :lol:

Than again maybe it is just me... I've been living in a SET world for a while and to me low wattage is more like 3-4wpc SET amp  :icon_lol:

If you are open to integrateds, the Luxman L-590 A II comes in at 30 class A solid state watts.

Now that's a low wattage SS amp I guess :lol: BTW... that is one good looking integ-amp. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

daddydoom

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2011, 04:51 am »
davidrs, I am already using the Bryston B100. I am trying to go seperates. The bryston worked real well with my B&W CM1's and CM sub, but seems to make my sofia's a little fatiguing.

I am a fan of detail. Thats why i went the wilsons. The pass amp was just my first stop. Mark with reno hifi said it would push my speakers with ease. It's just i want to look around a little more before i buy. Although Mark offers a great try before you buy program and a great trade up program if you decide you want more.

I know there are others out there. I was just trying to lesson my search time.

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2011, 06:26 am »
What sort of speakers are we talking about here that you want to pair with this Class A amp that you want to find?

zeke

« Reply #11 on: 19 Feb 2011, 07:23 am »
Pass
Plinius
Clayton
Monarchy
Sugden

zeke

morganc

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2011, 08:39 am »
I think the Pass XA30.5 would be a great choice.   I have one coming tomorrow :thumb:.   Though I ended up buying one locally, I found Mark at Reno Hi Fi to be an excellent resource and they offer a nice in home demo period.   He can compare all of the Pass lab amps and help you find one for your tastes. 

wilsynet

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2011, 10:03 am »
Mark @ Reno is great, and anything by Nelson Pass is highly recommended.

You might also consider the First Watt J2.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:56 pm »
I would think any class A amp putting out 100+ watts is going to be substantial. It takes rather large heat sinks to dissipate the heat.

My 300wpc Class A monos are only 11w x 21deep x 9high

Clayton M-300