ground loop hum and a (not-so-surprising) solution

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
ground loop hum and a (not-so-surprising) solution
« on: 18 Feb 2011, 03:45 pm »
Recently took apart the whole system, dusted things off and tried to get a handle on the wiring tangles. Also put it back together in a little different location in the living room.  Didn't remember exactly what was plugged into where, but upon powering up, I had a bad hum.  A good 5 hours later.  The hum is magically gone.  Let me start by stating that I do not have cable or satellite, so that's not responsible for the hum.

I use an old Monster something that I plug everything into.  Have had good success with it.  But when the hum showed up, I pulled everything out of it except the amps and the preamp.  Still hum.  Hit the preamp mute button, hum gone.  Must be the preamp.  To double check, I swapped the tube monos with a Mark Levinson ML-11 amp.  NO HUM.  Hmmmmm.  Is it the preamp or the mono amps?

Reconnected the pre to the monos.  Hum.  Then I started moving around the plugs, with cheaters, without cheaters.  Moved the plugs from different ports on the back of the Monster power unit.  No success.  Tried plugging the amps into a different wall outlet than the preamp, no success.  I'm 99% sure I tried every possible plug configuration.

Then I thought, why not use the PS Audio Duet power thing I have for my television and DVD player across the room?  Hell, that thing cost $250, I'm sure that will fix my problem.  So I did.

The hum increased 500% to the most outrageous amount of hum imaginable.  Tried just the amps in the Duet, total crap.  Tried just the preamp in the Duet, total crap. 

Just for shits 'n grins I thought I'd try the $4 power strip I bought at Home Depot.  Plugged both amps and preamp into it and plugged it in.

Silence.

Anyone want to buy a PS Audio Duet?