MMG's and Virtue Audio One.2

justplainmike

MMG's and Virtue Audio One.2
« on: 15 Feb 2011, 04:44 pm »
Hi All,. 

Just posted in another thread but in case anyone out there is doing a search for "Virtue and Magnepan" I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents in this thread. 

I got a pair of Magnepan MMG's delivered last Tuesday and have been tinkering with them ever since.  I had been a bit worried that the Virtue One.2 w/the 130w PS wouldn't be able to power them effectively.  I had read in a bunch of Planar/Magnepan forums that the speakers needed tons of power to sound good.  I've heard anywhere from 200-400 watts even for the smaller panels. 

I'm here to tell you that I've got everything I need in the One.2.  I took this amp to Definitive Audio here in Seattle to try out on a pair of Mg 12's. It sounded great even driving that bigger panel and without a subwoofer in the system.  So I took a chance and ordered the MMG's.

My Maggies are in my bedroom system with a Audio-Gd Dac/preamp, Virtue One.2 hooked up to the MMG's and a Mirage Omni S8.  I'm running the One.2 full range and the sub high pass crossed over to ~60hz.

It sounds fantastic.  Even with some work to do with speaker positioning and room treatments the sound I'm getting from this combo is far and away better than any I've heard.   I had a pair of Axiom M3ti's that I thought were pretty great sounding but the MMG's trounce them.  I'm even playing with the volume turned down because I'm getting all the sound I need without blasting the speakers.  My axioms are 92db/8ohm efficient compared to 86db/4ohm on the Maggies but the amount of sound coming out of the MMG's is HUGE. 

I can't say enough about this combination.  I'm posting a copy of this in the Virtue forums to help anyone on the fence about either the Virtue amps or MMG's.  I wasn't able to find anyone in my online searches that had this combination and I hope it helps someone else out there looking.  Kudos to Seth and Virtue and the folks at Magnepan for making me a very happy audiophile.  Best bargains in all of Audio!!

Cheers!!

p.s.  I love the fact that I could carry my amp to the audio store in one hand and hook it up to audition speakers...how many amp makers can boast that?

p.p.s.  I'm wondering if the battery power or the Antec PSU would be a better match with the MMG's??

BaMorin

• AR turntable rebuilder/modifyer
Re: MMG's and Virtue Audio One.2
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2011, 05:28 pm »
I've never had any trouble driving MG1A's or MG1.4s with a GAS grandson amp (40 into 8)

It depends on who makes the wattage.   My Ampzillas are in the shop. I haven't decided on what amps to purchase yet, so that 40Ws is driving my 3.6Rs. I can get in the low 90's before compression really starts to set in.

justplainmike

Re: MMG's and Virtue Audio One.2
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2011, 08:55 pm »
According to Seth who sells the Virtue amps, the One.2 is good for around 87wpc@4ohms (using the upgraded power supply) he tells me that battery power would give me even more current and I'm considering trying it out.