Newbee needs help - sealed or vented?

rosconey2000

« on: 22 Mar 2004, 03:10 am »
I am in the process of building a home theater and would appreciate advise on speaker options.

Background:  Although this is my first speaker project, I am a very skilled woodworker and have an MSEE.  My budget is $1000ish for components.  The HT room is 21ft deep (screen at front), 17ft wide, and 7.5ft high and will also serve as a play room for my 3 kids (most of the time). From an audio perspective the primary goal is surround sound with a distant second of dance music for parties.  Critical music appreciation will happen elsewhere. My kids seem most happy when hurling objects through the air or kicking soccer balls within the house.  For this reason, I am installing my projector and speakers in-wall.  Screen will be 12ft diagonal from acoustically transparent material. LCR speakers will be behind the screen with tweeters at seated ear height). Sub will be below the screen also built into the wall (possibly extending a bit into the room).  Surround L and R will be high on side walls and I am still debating on the value of adding rear wall surrounds.  Electronics are as yet unspecified but planning on 100W/ch.  The front wall will accommodate speaker enclosures that are 6” deep with side and rear walls of standard 3.5” depth.  Stud placement can be changed to give me any shape but depth is fixed as noted.  Enclosures will be ¾” MDF with appropriate bracing.  I am strongly leaning toward MTM configuration for LCR.

My Questions:

(a)   Should I base my design on the A/V-2 (vented) or the A/V-3S (sealed).  Just cannot decide if the bass extension is worth the hassle of working out a curved port (because of the limited depth).  Any guess at the A/V-3 lower 3dB point?
(b)   Should I recess the tweeters to align drivers and/or toe them inward?
(c)   Is it worth the expense to add rear wall surrounds (have seen almost no content supporting these formats)?  I am guessing that a 6.1/7.1 receiver would make some good use of these even with a 5.1 format signal.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide me with some good guidance.

MikeCTM2

« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2004, 03:51 am »
hello   i see you're a new member.  welcome to the 'Circles.   i'd say try to acheive vented if you can.   second, i'd say recess the tweeters and don't toe them inwards.  :nono:  thirdly, i'd say leave out the rear surrounds.    and i really like my MTM design.    i hope you get more input from more experienced audiophiles though.

scooter

Re: Newbee needs help - sealed or vented?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2004, 09:49 am »
Quote from: rosconey2000
I am in the process of building a home theater and would appreciate advise on speaker options.

Background:  Although this is my first speaker project, I am a very skilled woodworker and have an MSEE.  My budget is $1000ish for components.  The HT room is 21ft deep (screen at front), 17ft wide, and 7.5ft high and will also serve as a play room for my 3 kids (most of the time). From an audio perspective the primary goal is surround sound with a distant second of dance music for parties.  Critical music app ...

I would definitely use the AV3 vented as it will provide more bass which you will need as Home Theater requires a lot of dynamics If you are going for a 5.1 system I would use di or tri poles in the rear or if Danny finishes his surround in time use those. If you are going for a 7.1 system I would use monopoles in the rear and di-tripoles for the side surrounds.

Based on your room size I would try the 5.1 system first, the side surrounds do provide a more enveloping sound field and in general for most movies you will find it more involving as a result but it is more subtle so the difference is not an absolute must have.

By starting with a 5.1 system with di-tripoles you can then borrow a pair of monopoles from a friend and try the 7.1 and you can then determine whether the difference is worth it to your ears.

As always spend the most money of the speakers, most of the rest of the components you buy have heavy obsolesence factors like Recievers, Amps, Projectors, TV's etc. On a budget they are best purchased second hand.

Enjoy the trip once you start it is very difficult to stop.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2004, 10:32 am »
Not a new guy, just got a facelift! :wink:  :lol:

Rosconey is the new FNG! :P

rosconey2000

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2004, 11:49 am »
what the ____ happened -this isnt my thread-
i never even started it :nono:

rosconey

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2004, 12:02 pm »
just checked my email-the powers that be returned to me the original rosconey-so whoever stole rosconey2000 can have it-

but if i was you guys i wouldnt give the thieving piece of crap any advise-LOL

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2004, 05:05 pm »
I am not sure what happened with the rosconey name sharing.

To the first rosconey2000 that posted. It was nice talking to you the other day and thanks for the order.

To the last rosconey that posted: Can you choose a less offensive signature line please? Thanks.

Mike,

I'll be the first to ask (maybe), whose the girl in the new avatar image?

rosconey

« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2004, 05:23 pm »
i wonder if some name swapping happened when the sight went down-
rosconey2000 never called because that is me also-
hope you still get your sale from whoever did talk to you-

not a dave mathews fan huh-its from big eyed fish-
i changed it just for you-lol

MikeCTM2

« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2004, 03:29 pm »
just a nice pic of a girl i know.       Audio Circle has given me so much. i wanted to give back with something nice lookin'    it'd be easy to make a good list of help/deals/good equipment i've gotten from being here.  would it be better to have a pic of something audio?  i had also thought about a tube pic of somekind.   it seems like all the guys with a tube/tube equip avatar really know what they're doing with tubes though.  i'm only your typical tube user with no extensive experience.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2004, 05:04 pm »
should i change to something audio?

I wouldn't, and I think more guys should follow your lead. Good pic![/code]

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2004, 03:11 am »
You know, I'm actually pretty surprise now that Marbles hasn't ever had a girlie avatar.  He is the King of AC Softcore! :P