Bryston Headphone Interface

Vipers

Re: Bryston Headphone Interface
« Reply #180 on: 6 Jun 2011, 07:20 pm »
Hi Vipers,

A little to early to say price wise but I am hoping about $1000 list with internal power supply.

james

Thanks James, Will both versions be available at the same time as I'm after one without the internal power supply as I've got a BP26.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #181 on: 6 Jun 2011, 09:29 pm »
Thanks James, Will both versions be available at the same time as I'm after one without the internal power supply as I've got a BP26.

Hi Vipers - I would assume so as the power supply would be modular so you can include it or not.

james

skunark

« Reply #182 on: 6 Jun 2011, 09:45 pm »
Hi Vipers - I would assume so as the power supply would be modular so you can include it or not.

james

If you ordered the headphone amp with the internal power supply could you bypass it with the mps2? 

Jim

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #183 on: 6 Jun 2011, 09:57 pm »
If you ordered the headphone amp with the internal power supply could you bypass it with the mps2? 

Jim

Hi Jim

Not sure - not that far along yet.

James

larevoj

« Reply #184 on: 7 Jun 2011, 01:39 am »
Hi nikon,

Not sure yet.

james

Hi James, I would be interested on one without internal PSU as well. I would assume the connection to MPS-2 would be the same as to BP26? The analogue signal would be balance out from BP26 or BDA-1??  :scratch:

ChrisH

« Reply #185 on: 7 Jun 2011, 03:07 pm »
Hello, James; for those of us who depend largely on the output from our CD/DVD/Blu-ray player for our music, will the new head amp have any circuitry devoted to reducing jitter, by reclocking or whatever?   Chris

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #186 on: 7 Jun 2011, 05:31 pm »
Hello, James; for those of us who depend largely on the output from our CD/DVD/Blu-ray player for our music, will the new head amp have any circuitry devoted to reducing jitter, by reclocking or whatever?   Chris

Hi Chris,

No the BHA-1 takes ANALOG 'inputs' not Digital.

james

myview

« Reply #187 on: 8 Jun 2011, 09:22 am »
Hi James,

I am eager to know how well the amp's driving the HE-6.  I think we can sort of establish a benchmark: if the amp is powerful enough to drive the HE-6 well, driving almost any other headphone on the market will not be a huge task.

According to owners of HE-6, these phones sound pretty bad out of the box but feed them enough power for at least 100 hours and they will show what they are capable of.  I have no first hand experience: I have just ordered mine and will take delivery in a week :)

I know this link was previously posted by someone else but it's indeed a good read for all interested parties: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hifiman2/1.html

Yes - they were a little bright sounding at first but are breaking in nicely.  Also have the top Grados coming.

james

terrycym

« Reply #188 on: 8 Jun 2011, 09:35 am »
Hi James,

I am eager to know how well the amp's driving the HE-6.  I think we can sort of establish a benchmark: if the amp is powerful enough to drive the HE-6 well, driving almost any other headphone on the market will not be a huge task.

According to owners of HE-6, these phones sound pretty bad out of the box but feed them enough power for at least 100 hours and they will show what they are capable of.  I have no first hand experience: I have just ordered mine and will take delivery in a week :)

I know this link was previously posted by someone else but it's indeed a good read for all interested parties: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hifiman2/1.html

It was me that posted the link before and I had asked about the drive capability as well.
I quoted the HE-6's impedance and efficiency.
Not sure if we got an update?

Rather than wait, I've gone for a Schiite, very pleased with it and it drives the HE-6 wonderfully.

« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2011, 02:15 pm by James Tanner »

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #189 on: 8 Jun 2011, 01:04 pm »
Hi James :  After skimming through this entire thread again, I am unclear on one point - at this stage has a decision been made re: op-amp vs. discrete circuitry?

D.D.

« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2011, 02:17 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #190 on: 8 Jun 2011, 02:15 pm »
It was me that posted the link before and I had asked about the drive capability as well.
I quoted the HE-6's impedance and efficiency.
Not sure if we got an update?

Rather than wait, I've gone for a Schiite, very pleased with it and it drives the HE-6 wonderfully.

Hi Guys,

I believe the Schite allows 14dB of gain. We will have a switch on the front that will allow 3 different gain settings - 0db - 6db and 20db. The adjustments are available on both the Single Ended and Balanced outputs but the Balanced outputs will always have 6dB more gain (6, 12 and 26db) than the single ended.

If you need more gain than that you should really use an amplifier to drive your headphones.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #191 on: 8 Jun 2011, 02:17 pm »
Hi James :  After skimming through this entire thread again, I am unclear on one point - at this stage has a decision been made re: op-amp vs. discrete circuitry?

D.D.

Tried both and settled on Discrete.

james

Diamond Dog

« Reply #192 on: 8 Jun 2011, 02:23 pm »
Tried both and settled on Discrete.
james

You have chosen wisely, Grasshopper.  :thumb:

D.D.

Vipers

« Reply #193 on: 12 Jun 2011, 01:57 pm »

After what seems like far too much research I've almost decided to go with the same setup terrycym, I'll hopefully add the Bryston amp later aswell, I was just wondering if you compared the HE-6's directly with anything else as demoing them is going to be very difficult, it's between the HE-6's and the HD800's for me, or maybe Stax, I think :)

Jame's, have you tried the HE'6's with the BHA? if so, did it drive them OK?

Thanks,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #194 on: 12 Jun 2011, 02:09 pm »
After what seems like far too much research I've almost decided to go with the same setup terrycym, I'll hopefully add the Bryston amp later aswell, I was just wondering if you compared the HE-6's directly with anything else as demoing them is going to be very difficult, it's between the HE-6's and the HD800's for me, or maybe Stax, I think :)

Thanks,

Yes the HE-6 is fine with the BHA.  It is interesting as I have been looking into this how popular the Tube amps are with headphones. I would have thought given the much better noise floors and distortion of solid state devices there would be more available. :scratch:

james

PS - Vipers - how is the new job going?

Diamond Dog

« Reply #195 on: 12 Jun 2011, 03:03 pm »
 I guess with all you boys droppin' to the way-side, that leaves s/n 0001 for the ol' Diamond Dog, don't it?  :lol:

D.D.

terrycym

« Reply #196 on: 12 Jun 2011, 03:38 pm »

Thanks,
Listened to:
My old Stax Lambda Pro
My old AKG 701
Sennheisers - too bright
Audeze
Grado - aweful
Probably get some new Stax as well, no doubting that they're the best

Vipers

« Reply #197 on: 12 Jun 2011, 06:07 pm »
Yes the HE-6 is fine with the BHA.  It is interesting as I have been looking into this how popular the Tube amps are with headphones. I would have thought given the much better noise floors and distortion of solid state devices there would be more available. :scratch:

james

PS - Vipers - how is the new job going?

Thanks James, I'm still hoping to add the BHA to my system once I've decided which headphones to go with, if only PMC would make some headphones :)

New job is going well, thanks, still finding my feet a little, it's great being able to compare other top end kit with Bryston though, here's a little shootout I did yesterday with Naim :-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/hi-fi-systems-separates/1471104-bryston-v-naim-my-little-shootout.html

Looks like I'm going to be organising a Bryston open day very shortly  :)

Vipers

« Reply #198 on: 12 Jun 2011, 06:09 pm »
Listened to:
My old Stax Lambda Pro
My old AKG 701
Sennheisers - too bright
Audeze
Grado - aweful
Probably get some new Stax as well, no doubting that they're the best

Thanks for the reply Terry, I don't suppose you fancy popping over to Borehamwood with the Schiit and the HE-6's  :drool:

terrycym

« Reply #199 on: 13 Jun 2011, 06:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply Terry, I don't suppose you fancy popping over to Borehamwood with the Schiit and the HE-6's  :drool:
You know what, I've made a BIG mistake.
Having just listened to the new Staxs, the Schiit and the HE-6's have gone back.
I bought the new 507's, nice!
I wish i hadn't listened to the 009's as they are more than I can consider paying for cans but they must represent the ultimate!
507's & KGSS, headphone heaven! At least for me.
You can listen to those instead
Terry